Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

myspace question

Go down 
+5
milan
RCS
AdamM
thugsage
Richard Grannon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: myspace question   myspace question EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 1:14 pm

got this question on myspace

Quote :
Mr. Grannon,
Have you ever noticed that no matter what fighting style someone takes, when the shit hits the fan everyone fights the same. I see people do all these techniques and they just go out the window when they start to fight. They all revert back to gross motor movements, except grapplers they can actually use the techniques they practice. Why do you think that is?

James
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 1:34 pm

...don't most kids grow up wrestling. it sort of seems like you make adjustments to what comes relatively natural--when you grapple. when my friends and i all started getting into fighting, we all persued things that were more difficult for us--instead of pursuing what we had headstarts in. i started in judo in england, but couldn't wait to figure out how to strike and move on to local karate clubs, informal neighborhood boxing, etc... i was taken down fast by a wrestler as a teen--underestimating how useful it really was. to respond to the original question, to me it seems like when you give yourself permission to use those skills, it flows. even though i trained to strike, i think much of my security work looked more like a bad television wrestling match--when trying not to rush into striking because i didn't want it to appear out of control to my employers.
-rus
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
AdamM

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:32 pm

not over here mate. there's virtually no wrestling available.

Not sure what use wrestling is on the street though. I don't want to go to ground on the contrete, amongst the broken glass and dog shit with my opponents mates taking a run up for a head stomping.
Back to top Go down
RCS

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm definitely a believer that striking is the most efficient way to end a violent encounter once your stuck in it. Going to the ground in a fight is also something that should be avoided (if possible). However, there are numerous skills and attributes that a person can obtain from wrestling that don't involve hitting the pavement. Wrestlers learn clinching skills, develop forward drive, learn several takedowns and throws that don't require the wrestler to hit the ground, as well as duck - unders and other moves to take the opponent's side or back. Wrestling and wrestling drills also help to develop balance, body unity, and aggression.

When the crap hits the fan I think that most people will default back to the skills that they are most comfortable with. If the majority of your combative experience comes from wrestling in your school years (very common in the US) then that is probably going to influence how you fight. If you grew up boxing at a local gym instead, your fights would probably look quite a bit different than the wrestler's.
Back to top Go down
AdamM

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 6:51 pm

all makes good sense.

I'm primarily a striker, but I do enjoy grappling and think it's worth having some skills in all ranges.
Back to top Go down
milan

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 7:05 pm

fully agree with RCS;
just remember if you're a good striker, then use it...if strong in judo with all the lock techniques, send your oppo to the ground, do it fast, the way it hurts and try to leave the place....guess, you'll be more efficient....otherwise the best thing to do is pre-emtive shot to the head;
Back to top Go down
Pete

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 11:33 pm

What you end up with depends most on what you practice id think. People that dont practice, which is still the majority, end up with either grappling which might be some sort of instinct or throwing wild but useless punches as a result of a lack of coordination/practice. I would guess thats why most fights look the same...apart from the fact that there aint too many things that really work. So trained people have very few choices and more or less do the same no matter if they are karate guys boxers or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:11 pm

RCS wrote:
However, there are numerous skills and attributes that a person can obtain from wrestling that don't involve hitting the pavement. Wrestlers learn clinching skills, develop forward drive, learn several takedowns and throws that don't require the wrestler to hit the ground, as well as duck - unders and other moves to take the opponent's side or back. Wrestling and wrestling drills also help to develop balance, body unity, and aggression.

The first of the new DVD series which will eventually go to comprise a whole step by step training syllabus will be out on Monday.
Now even though Im more of a striker and I think striking is the highest priority thing a person can do when involved in a violent encounter, for reasons described in the DVD, I still started the syllabus with the vertical grappling range.
Why?
As RCS says above because of the unique Skills and Attributes this range allows you to develop. Grappling training done intelliently in a relaxed frame of mind over a prolonged period generates certain instinctive, unconscious responses in the practitioner that are pertinent and useful in a combative context, that NO OTHER TRAINING DEVELOPS AS WELL OR AS QUICKLY... at least that I have seen.
And Ive been around the block a few times with different training styles and instructors.

I just spoke to "Loki" on the phone and he has some interesting thoughts regarding the original question: why does it look like the only thing that looks the way it does in training is grappling?
I hope Loki will post these thoughts...

The questioner is saying why dont streetfights look like they have the techniques you see being done in training sessions?

I would ask the question this way round: If your training sessions dont look like (and therefore arent reflective of) what happens in most street fights- why the hell dont they?!

What are you training for?

Look at what happens and then train for that.
Rather than try and make the techniques you already have more "street".

The new syllabus has this as its core objective.
Its only to make the student as effective at fighting as possible.
Back to top Go down
Timothy Tobiason

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 7:41 pm

i did not come here to cause problems + i got nothing to contribute so i'm cutting all this shit and leaving the forum

Last edited by Timothy Tobiason on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi Timothy

I can tell you've got something to get off your chest

spew it, my boy, and be done pirat
Back to top Go down
Loki
Admin

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 8:52 pm

http://www.adl.org/learn/Anthrax/wod.asp?xpicked=2&item=1

Timothy Tobiason, a self-taught Nebraska chemist and author of Advanced Biological Weapons Design and Manufacture, claims that the government has harassed him and tried to kill him. f the government continues to do this to people,?he told a reporter from The New York Times, heye going to have a whole lot more Tim McVeighs and Tim Tobiasons.? Tobiason lives in a van and sells his book, which includes instructions on manufacturing anthrax, at gun shows across the country.

Cool Shocked
Back to top Go down
Timothy Tobiason

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 3:21 am

i did not come here to cause problems + i got nothing to contribute so i'm cutting all this shit and leaving the forum

Last edited by Timothy Tobiason on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Timothy Tobiason

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 5:55 am

Last edited by Timothy Tobiason on Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
AdamM

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 8:12 am

well that's 6 minutes of my life I'd like back.

I'd of turned it off after 30 secnds but it's like witnessing a car wreck cyclops

Aryan bollocks. You don't speak for me pal.

Last edited by AdamM on Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 11:26 am

Timothy

before I reply to you in full can I just be really clear please? A few questions:

1. was your first post intended to imply that Im a liar (or a nutter)? Its ok Timothy Im pretty thick skinned, its just that... well, you never really get a first chance to make a first impression do you?

2.I asked if you had something to get off your chest and you posted a music video? Was that what you wanted to get off your chest? What does the music video mean to you Timothy? But what is it your trying to say? Are you angry? The music is angry. It is written by an "Aryan". A white person like you and me. But I think "Aryans" , I dont know, but dont they not like people who are not white? Is that where you are coming from?

3.Timothy, thank you so much for your kind words. It really means a lot to me. What made you think I needed to hear them?

4. Usually people post a little introduction. Why dont you tell us a bit about yourself? Your background, interests, martial arts expereinces? Tell us what you hope to gain from this forum and what you can contribute to it. Bear in mind, as it says at the top: its a street focussed martial arts and psychology forum. What brought you hear, how can we help?

You also are loved and growing. I love you
Back to top Go down
Dark

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 1:00 pm

I smell troll!!
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 2:54 pm

hey, did anyone get my cd on how to deal with verbal confrontation?

just so we are clear...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

myspace question Empty
PostSubject: Re: myspace question   myspace question Empty

Back to top Go down

myspace question
Page 1 of 1