Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
KickTheirButts

Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. Empty
PostSubject: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 7:57 am

Hi Richard..
I am wondering about the dvd's with your sylabbus and have a few questions. I have quite a few of your dvd's and am wondering how the sylabbus differs from them, I am assuming that they fit in and go along with it?

Will these just be dvd's? Or will there be a manual as well with a training syllabus?

Its good that you are releasing something like this because I get confused on where to actually start with all this material and which to spend my time on, because obviously some things are more important than others, like theres no point doing jumping spinning kicks when common attacks are haymakers and such, I pretty much don't know with all these dvd's how to devote my training time to all the different facets of training.

I'm sure the dvd's will answer that, how many are you going to release in the sylabbus series? And what will they cover?

(And I cant spell syllabus either) Laughing
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 12:22 pm

Kicktheirbutts

after the funniest first post Ive ever read on a forum , you disappeared! Nice to have you back mate

Quote :
I have quite a few of your dvd's and am wondering how the sylabbus differs from them, I am assuming that they fit in and go along with it?

The "Syllabus" ( Very Happy ) will not be different in techniques and will draw from many of the DVDS we have out and hopefully turn all the products into a cogent shape so we could literally draw out a Procedural Task Analysis chart and show which DVD fits into which peice of the fight game puzzle. I will try and draw a rough draft this week.
The first DVDs deal with the Clinch Phase of a fight so Ed Baker's Clinch Control and Bob Spours Combat Clinchwork are supporting material.
80% of the techniques shown on the first DVD of the Clinch Phase series I got from training with Bob, some have been shown on his DVDs some havent... the rest is material I got from training in various MMA classes and some Chris Parker (who I only met through Bob) Silat concepts.

Quote :
Will these just be dvd's? Or will there be a manual as well with a training syllabus?

There will possibly be a few training manuals.
The basic idea behind the syllabus was to:

1. draw all the concepts together into an understandable whole, that could allow people to grade as practitoners and instructors... dont worry, Richie hasnt gone corporate, these trainings will fit in with the pricing style of our current business model. I get at least a couple of emails a week from regular customers asking if they can qualify in this "system"- well to date there hasnt been a system.

Ive always been a bit wary of the notion of a "system" because as a linguistic nominalisation it implies something static and it takes responsibility away from the practitioner and puts it onto an external concept: the system.

Ive found a way around this, that Im pretty smug about. All will be revealed after the first two DVDs are on limited release to forum members and subscribers.

2. say everything in one go. Ive never really committed down in writing or on DVD exactly how I believe people should train in a step by step format. There are hints and allegations all over the DVDs but not one solid "ok THIS is how it needs to be done"

3. bring it all together and do it before I stop. Its very likely that after this Syllabus of DVDs and manuals is finished I wont be releasing any new material on "streetfighting".
I will be going back to focussing on my psychology work. Dont panic just yet. I really want this syllabus to cover everything I havent previously been able to cover so it will probably take at least another 9 months to produce. But when its done, that will be it for me in the self protection field.

[/quote]I'm sure the dvd's will answer that, how many are you going to release in the sylabbus series? And what will they cover?[quote]

I thought it would be eight DVDs that would be done by July, but the more simple and clear I try to make things the more there is to say it seems. This first syllabus OBJECTIVE is only covering how to deal with a one on one attack, from the front (no ambush or suprise), no weapons, no environmental constraints and its already looking like it will easily cover 12 DVDs!
Its really a belt and braces syllabus though, there should be no question as to what fits where and when and exactly how to drill everything.

This is not of the "quick fix" style of combative training.
This is for the committed ongoing martial artist who wants a totally street focussed syllabus and wants to build real skills over time.

What will the syllabus(es) cover? Good question, I'll explain in more detail later next week when the first DVD comes out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
pikeking

pikeking

PostSubject: Re: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 11:14 am

just thinking long term here....

would there ever be a SFS certification scheme?
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:46 pm

pikeking wrote:

Quote :

1. draw all the concepts together into an understandable whole, that could allow people to grade as practitoners and instructors...

Yes! tongue

would you be interested?
Back to top Go down
pikeking

pikeking

PostSubject: Re: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 8:56 pm

Richard Grannon wrote:
pikeking wrote:

Quote :

1. draw all the concepts together into an understandable whole, that could allow people to grade as practitoners and instructors...

Yes! tongue

would you be interested?

haha!! god i read that, obviously didnt read it with my brain though!

yes I would be interested, dont know about actually doing it to instruct as I have no other martial arts back ground, more as a personal development tool really
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 9:13 pm

yeah thats fine mate
Back to top Go down
KickTheirButts

PostSubject: Re: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 5:47 am

Just read the email and page on the first dvd, can't wait to have a actual training guide that will help alot.

Sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. EmptyThu May 01, 2008 11:34 am

from the newsletter

Quote :
Question for you...

Are you happy with the way you are training? Are you getting the results from this last years worth of training that you were expecting this time last year? Are you improving? Do you feel like you are really achieving your goals?

I'll bet that for most of us the answer to that question is a tepid "well, yes and no"

I think that the issue isnt really "WHAT" we train... come on, havent we established already that good aggressive psychology synthesised with simple repetitively trained physical S.O.P.s are key to effective street focussed martial arts training? (otherwise referred to by the simpler term of erm..."fighting"!)

There are only so many ways to hit someone right?

The big issue, when your core objective is developing real reliable skill, the kind that is so ingrained in your unconscious it will still come out of you when you are sick / drunk / upset / half asleep or whatever, is about "HOW" to train.

2 weeks before my 30th Birthday in March I suffered a knee injury that put me out of training and on crutches for 6 weeks. It was done by an onverzealous (and rather large) fellow student who was throwing me waaaaaaay too hard around the cage during an MMA class I was attending. I got peeved and tried to sink my weight to block a hip throw, my brawny partner simply took this is a challenge to see if he could RIP me through the move.... guess what? He could!

At the expense of my ACL... its a knee ligament that apparently gets damaged frequently in "plant and twist" injuries.

The whole issue of compliance is a big one in martial arts. You have to have compliance to train, you have to have non compliance to make it like a fight, or "combative" to coin the adjective, otherwise whats the point?

If you have really overly compliant students training together you have a proliferation of unworkable fancy techniques that will only let you down when it goes wrong and no real skill or attribute development in the students, other than maybe some basic coordination and fitness.

If you have too much non compliance in training you have... a fight! Injuries occur quickly and training is now redundant.

If one person gets the subtle level of non compliance wrong, the other student will feel as though a liberty is being taken (which effectively, it really is). Tempers fray, the training mood is soured and class sizes dwindle. Students want to be assisted to learn not used as punch bags, naturally.

In attempting to solve this riddle I asked myself a few questions whilst off from training:

1. Ok, so far there are a lot of SFS products that represent a mix of different training concepts, and by all accounts the customers love them, but what about the students who want to learn step by step. If I had to design a syllabus what would I teach in what order and how would I ask people to train it?

2. Can I design a training drill methodology that deals with this whole compliance/ non compliance issue?

3. How can I feel confident that people working this syllabus will end up with these reliable skills drilled into their unconscious? What kind of training would make me feel like I had made the student truly more dangerous to any attacker?

The answer I came up with is something called the Beta-8 syllabus. Its not ready for launch to the general public yet and wont be until Im totally happy its finished.

The first DVD in the series for the first syllabus is available to buy from here

http://www.beta-8.com/

And please dont tell anyone outside of the forum and the SFS subscriber list about it. Subscribers and forum members are getting these DVDs at a before anyone else does and at a much lower price.

There will be different training "Phases" for different specific skillsets that will go to comprise an overall syllabus. The reason for this is that in every other field of skill development in the world, military, sporting or industrial, humans train skills with very, very specific goals in mind.

It seems its only in the martial arts field that we feel we can expect to learn to deal with all comers in a few "downloads" ... just like Neo in the Matrix (I think the media representation of martial arts we are exposed to as a culture has a lot to answer for!).

Simply put: Human beings need specific goals and time to develop skills.

But given those specific goals, proper training methodology and time well spent I think people's training results will really soar.

this is ready to buy now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..   Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Question On Your Sylabbus Dvd's..
Page 1 of 1