Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
maija
Admin
maija

Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary Empty
PostSubject: Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 3:12 pm

This is a 10 part documentary -
Great old illustrations and cool insights into the reality based self protection ideas of the time. It's all interesting, but if you don't have the time, these 2 parts seemed most apropos to this forum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJWaxRYHpGc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3--2_LxvAyI
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 8:20 pm

another good find Maija - thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
McBane

PostSubject: great   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary EmptyWed May 06, 2009 1:46 pm

Just watched these 2 clips, so far so good, I like them allot. the information is well presented and of a very good quality. Great find Maija. What weapons do you study yourself?
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary EmptyWed May 06, 2009 2:33 pm

I studied foil fencing a s a kid - parents took me after I kept stealing knives out of the drawers to play along with Errol Flynn movies and "The Flashing Blade" TV series (I'm dating myself now!)
Mostly I do the Filipino stuff which has a quite broad range of weaponry, many swords long and short, sticks and canes, and various nasty miscellaneous objects ...
I also recently started Toyama Ryu - The Japanese Naval Academy officers school style.
Love swords ..... and am eternally fascinated by how each design has a distinct personality and moves differently in space.
Was most interested to read Silver's comments on the staff - I love using the cane, so am now looking to further my study of that.
The Filipino philosophy is that the empty hand comes from the weapon work and I believe studying weapons can give great insights to anyone whether or not they are directly interested in the weapons themselves.
Me, I like the weapons Very Happy Cool cheers
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary EmptyThu May 07, 2009 12:46 am

Here are some my teacher made for training:
Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary 100_0814
Back to top Go down
McBane

PostSubject: Cool   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary EmptyThu May 07, 2009 8:46 am

Fantastic pic, does he take orders??? :-)

I'll try to get a shot of some of my swords, you'll like the difference, but also allot of similarities. Were are you based, and were do you train?

Do you mainly use one handed weapons or do you use bigger two handed as well?
Back to top Go down
McBane

PostSubject: PS   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary EmptyThu May 07, 2009 8:49 am

I agree that weapons training helps with empty hand training too. But I too just like weapons, especially historical ones. I love finding out how they were actually used, and blowing away allot of the myths that have grown up around swords etc, both eastern and western.
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary EmptyThu May 07, 2009 1:46 pm

McBane,
I live and train in the San Francisco Bay Area, and unfortunately the man who made these pieces passed away a couple years back - a real loss.
You are right, mostly single edged, single handed weapons, though not represented here is the double edged wavy blade, the Kris and the 2 handed Kampilan - also part of Filipino style edged weapons.
Obviously you can carry similar of different blades in each hand - epada y daga style.
Look forward to seeing your pics!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary   Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary Empty

Back to top Go down

Renaissance Martial Arts - the Web Documentary
Page 1 of 1