Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kieron

Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? Empty
PostSubject: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 6:38 am

Hello all, I know high kicks are not really the arsenal of choice in street fights,and this has been drilled into me in krav maga,BUT it is also occurs as my training continues that for real power in kicks and most Km practitioners I know agree with me on this,you have to be pretty flexible in the old groin, lower back and hamstrings area to deliver even realistc damaging front kicks,roundhouses etc for 'chambering' the explosiveness.I am not bad in this area but need to vastly improve- any ideas,dvds or such like, any info much appreciated.
Stay safe, Kieron.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 12:58 pm

um, i dont know of anything beyond what you can easily find on google by putting "hamstring stretch" into it?

i like as a subjective preference straight up/ circular leg swings, my gf who is qualified in such high falutinī terminology tells me these are "dynamic stretches"... i darent disagree...

I like these because they work your balance and are the most "job specific" type of stetches

unlike most street focussed instructors I dont "dis" the high leg kicks, Ive had them used on me and Ive used them in brawls with good effect

plus they look cool when on the bag, which is a top priority Cool

*adopts voice of self defence instructor in napoleon dynamite* :

"NEVER kick above the waist in a viscious hand to hand street combat unless you want the perp to hand you your ass maaaaaan"

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptyFri May 23, 2008 6:08 pm

i'm with you. i just don't think my high kicks pass muster anymore--fighting resistance on two planes, the target and gravity by way of taught tendons. ha ha. as long as my hands can come shortly behind; it would be nice if i had some theme music though. on one memorable night my old shotokan teacher--who was a real bull, popped his achilles heal, being too tight. probably the only thing that could make a beast like that cry. made me want to go home and stretch...then curl up in the fetal position and dream of bunnies.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
nix

nix

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptySat May 24, 2008 2:47 am

I found two hand kettlebell swings helped both strengthen and stretch hips, groin and hamstrings.
kb swing example vid
As far as stretching: dynamic stretching pre workout, PNF and static stretching post workout.
Seems to work for me. YMMV Smile
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptySat May 24, 2008 11:35 am

what are these tecky terms you speak Nix? give it to us in english!
Back to top Go down
nix

nix

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptySun May 25, 2008 10:41 am

Sorry about that.
As I understand it...
- Dynamic stretching is basically progressive movements done prior to an activity to stimulate blood flow to muscles and connective tissue. (eg. arm or leg swings)
- Static stretching is what is typically thought of as stretch and hold position; usually about 15-30 seconds and is done after an activity (eg. putting your heel up on a chair and leaning your head toward your foot to stretch hamstrings) and generally is thought to help flexibility and lessen next day soreness.
- PNF stretching is Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation... a static stretch held for about 7-10 seconds and then contracting and holding the contraction of the muscle being stretched, again for about 7-10 seconds.
- YMMV= Your mileage may vary Smile

Although the experts say the most important and most beneficial stretching is what you do after an activity, I focus more on the
pre activitity dynamic stretching for injury prevention.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptyMon May 26, 2008 1:04 pm

thanks Nix

I need to get me one of them KB thingies
Back to top Go down
Kieron

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptyMon May 26, 2008 7:12 pm

Thanks for the info fellas- spent an hour stretching today with practitioner who was ex athlete have had hot bath and co-codamol,but still walking like I've had an accident in me trousers!
Back to top Go down
SeanW

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? EmptyWed May 28, 2008 4:31 am

I know it's a bit late but wanted to chime in as well and add a little to what nix said.

From what I gather there are some fancy nerve things that tell your body not to let your muscle stretch when you've been sat down all day, to try and stop you getting injured. That's why we do dynamic stretching and warming up to let your nerves know you're ready and can start exercising

The PNF stretching is a long term way of injury prevention. By tensing slightly and slowly stretching more it gives you strength in the stretched position. It lets those fancy nerve things or maybe friends of there's know that it's ok and you can go down a bit more (towards the splits). Having strength in that position helps prevent injury, and stops your 'stretch reflex' from kicking in and restricting your movement (i.e. gives you good conditioning). Having said that those nerve things engage every time we stop moving for a while no matter how well conditioned you are so it's a good idea to warm up for extreme moves!

One last thing (honest) to actually try is when you're doing the front splits (say), give yourself room. Don't think of pressing down in any way think of a your legs being pulled towards each wall and your body upwards before tensing, and then relaxing to move down a bit, then repeating. This works really well for me and I hope it's useful! Apologies for any waffling!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wuming.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?   Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin? Empty

Back to top Go down

Any tips on stretching out for hips, hamstrings,groin?
Page 1 of 1