Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING Empty
PostSubject: MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING   MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 5:04 pm

I GUESS THAT'S ALL I DO--TRAIN ON THE PADS TO DELIVER ABOUT 25 OF THE
HARDEST PUNCHES OF MY LIFE. THE BLAST...THE EXPLOSION. FINDING THE BALANCE
ON A HARD SURFACE--AS WALL LIKE AS POSSIBLE, THAT CAN DELIVER SPEED AND
FORCE WITHOUT INJURING WEAPON [MY HAND/WRIST].

I HAVE MY OWN NATURAL TWEEKS AND SAFEGUARDS

I OCCASIONALLY WANT TO SEE WHAT OTHERS SAY...THERE ARE SOME NUTTERS
THAT START OFF WITH ARTICLES LIKE, "NO ONE READS MY LETTERS OR LISTENS
TO ME BECAUSE I'M A COUNTRY REDNECK, BUT I'VE BEEN FIGHTING ALL MY LIFE,
WATCH THIS VIDEO OF MY BREAKING A WATERMELON...WATCH MY SON KNOCK
OUT HIS OLDER BROTHER...SEND MONEY"

BUT THIS ONE CAME FROM SAMMY DEFRANCO--BETTER KNOWN MACHO DUDE AND
SEAL GUY. WORTH A READ FOR SOME OF HIS SOUND FINDINGS AS HE HAS A REGULAR
DOSE OF STUDENTS, FIXES ON THE COMBATIVE PERSPECTIVE, AND ERM, HAS A REP
NOT TO BE CHOPPED DOWN. GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME TO READ IT THROUGH.

///

INCREASE PUNCHING POWER
By
Sammy Franco

If you want to increase your punching power and survive a violent street fight, then you must be capable of striking your attacker with significant force. You have got to hit him hard! Contrary to popular belief, punching power is not simply predicated on size, strength or body weight. There are many other critical factors that come into play. One crucial factor is learning to develop proper striking technique and it can be accomplished through proper training. What follows is a brief list of suggestions from Contemporary Fighting Arts that will help you improve your striking technique and thus increase your punching power. Keep in mind that if you would like to learn more about increasing punching power, see my Power Punching video.

THE HEAVYBAG

The Heavy Bag is the best piece of equipment for developing your punching power. Many equipment manufacturers make excellent heavy bags that can withstand the most punishing of blows. Remember, if you are looking to increase punching power for street fighting proficiency, do not train on anything less than 75 pounds. Remember, when it comes to punching bags, the heavier the better! If you would like to learn more about using the heavy bag to increase punching power, see my book 1001 Street Fighting Secrets or read my Punching Bag article.

Here are some points to keep in mind when training and working out:

1) Stay balanced - when power punching on the heavy bag try to stay balanced. Always maintain proper striking form and do not overextend your body when deliver punches and strikes. Remember that losing your balance in a self defense situation can cost you your life!

2) Be mobile - avoid the tendency to remain stationary when working out on the heavy bag. This doesn't mean that you have to dance around the bag like Muhammad Ali, just move around strategically and vary the speed and direction of your footwork.

3) Stay relaxed - avoid tensing your muscles when punching the bag. Tensing your muscles will slow you down significantly and also lead to a possible injury.

4) Throw different combinations - avoid delivering one strike at a time. Learn to harmoniously integrate your kicks, punches and strikes into devastating compound attacks that you would apply in a street fighting situation. Also, proper body mechanics play a very important role when it comes to proper striking.

Don't Forget These Important Rules!

Punching Power Rule #1: DON'T LOCK YOUR ELBOWS. When throwing linear punches, be certain not to lock your elbows. Elbow locking is a common problem among martial art novices. When delivering a linear blow, your arm should be extended toward its target until the elbow is not more than three inches short of full extension. After contact is made with the target, the fist is returned back to the hand guard position. Remember, if your elbow locks upon impact, it will have a pushing effect and rob you of critical punching power.

Punching Power Rule #2: USE YOUR THREE POWER GENERATORS. When executing hand techniques from a stationary position, there are three anatomical power generators that will allow you to torque your body maximally. They include the following: (1) shoulders, (2) hips, and (3) feet. Maximally torquing your body into the blow will increase both the force and penetration of the blow. However, there is a very fine line between power and speed in relation to the three anatomical power generators.

Punching Power Rule #3: YOUR LINE OF INITIATION IS YOUR LINE OF RETRACTION. When executing linear blows (lead straights, rear crosses, finger jabs, palm heels), remember that your line of initiation should always be your line of retraction. Avoid arcing or dropping your blow. Such sloppy body mechanics will throw you off balance, minimize your impact power, and open you up for a possible counterattack. Failing to maintain a straight-line trajectory is usually caused from the following: (1) your elbow does not travel behind your punch, (2) premature wrist torque.

Punching Power Rule #4: DON'T TELEGRAPH YOUR PUNCH. Telegraphing means inadvertently making your intentions known to your assailant. There are many subtle forms of telegraphing that must be avoided in a street fight. Here are just a few: (1) cocking your arm back prior to punching or striking; (2) tensing your neck, shoulders, or arms prior to striking; (3) widening your eyes or raising your eyebrows; (4) shifting your shoulders; (5) grinning or opening your mouth; and (6) taking a sudden and deep breath.

Punching Power Rule #5: KEEP YOUR WRISTS STRAIGHT. When throwing punching tools (circular or linear), make certain your wrists are correctly aligned with your forearm. If your wrist bends or collapses on impact, you will either sprain or break it. Remember, a sprained or broken wrist will put you out of commission immediately when fighting. When used properly, the heavy bag will train you to keep your wrists straight when delivering powerful punches in the heat of battle.

Punching Power Rule #6: TIGHTEN YOUR FISTS ON IMPACT. Remember to tighten your fists upon impact with your selected target. This action will allow your natural body weapon to travel with optimum speed and efficiency, and it will also augment the impact power of your strike.

Punching Power Rule #7: KNOW HOW TO MAKE A PROPER FIST. It's ironic how some of the most experienced street fighters don't know how to make a proper fist. Improper fist clenching can be disastrous for some of the following reasons: (1) you can jam, sprain, or break your fingers; (2) you will destroy wrist alignment, resulting in a sprained or broken wrist; or (3) you'll lose significant power when striking. To make a proper fist, tightly clinch the four fingers evenly in the palm of your hand. Make certain that your thumb is wrapped securely around your second and third knuckles and flexed down toward the wrist.

Remember that developing punching power takes time and lots of effort of your part. It won't come over night, but with determination and commitment it can be accomplished. If you want to learn more ways to increase punching power, I suggest looking into my Power Punching video or visit my Self Defense Discussion Forum.

Train hard and good luck!

- Sammy Franco (CFA Founder)
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING   MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Thanks Rus. May actually be buying a 4 foot leather bag this week. Found one cheap.

One of my problems with punching is catching the second knuckle of the thumb. I do this so often that I now train palms constantly & only throw a fist when a punch is instinctive, i.e. a surprise & I have to lash out. Which is leading me to wonder should I go back to fists more & try to tweak the shape to where I dont catch the thumb. Circling round & round.............cos I stopped fists because i so commonly catch the thumb.

On a similar note, I've just finished Jack Dempsey's Championship fighting. It's available as an ebook for free online, just google, though I fished mine out of the archive at the local library.
He considers his method more inline with the bare knuckle boxing of the 19th century & puts his success (as a world champ he was very successful) to the use of the drop step to generate force. there is a wealth of info in the book with some lovely anecdotes.

It's a recommended read & it's free & easy to find.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING   MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 7:56 pm

Blakops wrote:
I've just finished Jack Dempsey's Championship fighting. It's available as an ebook for free online, just google. He considers his method more inline with the bare knuckle boxing of the 19th century & puts his success (as a world champ he was very successful) to the use of the drop step to generate force.

Ta, nice tip. i'll look it up scratch
i used to catch my thumb alot--mostly for me [don't know if it's for the same reason as you're so tall] it was because i was doing the traditional thing and trying to hit the body...that thumb would invariably end up on elbows and whatever else made a clash. the only injuries i still get reflect the odd brain fart i make not sticking to my present day plan:
1. being a head hunter--high line arms held shoulder level and coming in on a flat horizontal plane
2. charging in--lessoning the tendencies of return fire
3. thumb's facing inward [fist position]...on the rare occasion that i do punch [almost never--i like palms so much], it's always a reflex after slapping down a hand and turning into a backfist...otherwise if it's an honest punch i'm more likely
to throw it with the thumb placement on the top. it "CATCHES" less up there with me for some reason. weird puncher
that i am, it's either in that position the whole time or starting out palms in [fist] and corking to that. in the shotokan days, it was one thumb/toe/etc...injury after another. it actually helped me quit sooner. i wanted to be a headhunter all along but i'd always get the dictated pressure to sort out legs or commit to body hits a certain way, the way that would get me injuries--in short.

largely irrelevant to me know as i'm a simple palm hitter, gross motor all the way. i like to watch what i'm doing okay grow incrementally and get more and more spot on. i was reading the article and thinking how it was translate to my palms anyway. body mechanics, other advice that could be interpreted.

good luck with your new hitting surface. a special time in any punch-geek's life. hand out some cigars and enjoy the beatings. you have my empathy. i'm happy with my pads now so i understand, the lessor movements and i've got my softer pad, the important ones and i have my wall hard one. at home is the intermediate of the two extremes [when i am at home and have missed a strike routine at my work invironment.

i could hit things forever. i'm not right in the head--but then none of us are Shocked
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING   MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING EmptyMon Jan 11, 2010 9:26 pm

Thanks for the Dempsey hint, Blackops - I've come close to buying it on a few occasions, heard it was very good.
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING   MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 2:33 am

http://www.freecirclefighting.com/jdbook.pdf

Not sure how your palms can take all that abuse, Rus. You using Dit Da jow or something?

Hope the finger is healing up okay.....& the hearing. I SAID & THE HEARING!!

Above is a link to the .pdf of Championship fighting.

Your welcome Maija. Its a good read & very simple exercises in execution.

Take care.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING   MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING EmptyTue Jan 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Blakops wrote:
http://www.freecirclefighting.com/jdbook.pdf

Not sure how your palms can take all that abuse, Rus. You using Dit Da jow or something?

Hope the finger is healing up okay.....& the hearing. I SAID & THE HEARING!!

Above is a link to the .pdf of Championship fighting.

Your welcome Maija. Its a good read & very simple exercises in execution.

Take care.

thanks for the link Exclamation

-finger not quite right, cause i "likes to train anyway"...it'll get there, not bothered if it's so far out of the way
-hearing is about 90% [things eventually/greatfully tend to patch themselves]
-still and asshole [me] though, so i may have to take meds for that Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING   MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING Empty

Back to top Go down

MAYBE NOT NEW TO MOST OF YOU GUYS: POWER PUNCHING
Page 1 of 1