Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Guys that just wont go down?!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hunter32

Guys that just wont go down?! Empty
PostSubject: Guys that just wont go down?!   Guys that just wont go down?! EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:17 am

So recently ive been getting into the local "street boxing" scene. Ive been working on myself for around a year now, with conditioning,mentality training,Heavy bad/pads work.

I was known as a more timid person until i got into a violent altercation around a year ago and decided to train so i can feel more confident.

Ive had 0 luck finding training partners for the "self Protection" but boxing is very good in this area.

Ive had around 4 fights up until tonight which was my 5th.

Now the rules for this are normal boxing rules,no below the belt shots or anything.

But it MUST end in a KO,Stoppage,Quiting.

Well ive had 4, 2-3min KO's so far until i met this guy tonight.

He out weighs me by around 30 pound and has a huge head/neck and an amazing chin.

I pumped every combo,body shot skill that i know into him.

He just was not fassed by any of it, i hit fairly hard, not traying to brag, but everything in my mind says he should have gone down. But he just kept brawling me.

Now ive seen richie say "box a brawler, brawl a boxer" well my friends. I tried both! neither worked with this guy.

We went for 6 1min rounds until both of us couldn't move our arms and he finally gave up.

But it was rediculous, this guy just wanted to stand and trade punches and anything i hit him with was not enough.

I was probably trading shots with him 5 to 1, 5 for me and 1 for him.

But i mean WTF! Any tips on dealing with this almost inhuman ability to take punches?
Back to top Go down
AdamM

PostSubject: Re: Guys that just wont go down?!   Guys that just wont go down?! EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 6:41 am

my first tip would be stay away from unlicensed boxing matchs. If you want to compete, find a boxing gym / MMA gym and compete in properly sanctioned, medically supervised organisations. If you crack an opponent and he smashes his head when he lands or chokes on his tongue because there's no trained medic on hand you're fucked mate.

There's no reason why you can't protect yourself effectively against someone with a 30lb advantage. I had a situation with a guy maybe 80lb bigger than me last week. BUT you're not going to beat guys considerably bigger than you in a square go very often. You'd have to be using techniques and strategies not condusive to sporting events.
Back to top Go down
asfi

PostSubject: Re: Guys that just wont go down?!   Guys that just wont go down?! EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 1:30 pm

I agree with Adam. I don't advocate unlicensed boxing matches. Well, not anymore anyway.

But...

I guess since I'm in another country, different rules apply, right? Haha.

I can't help but feel for your position.

Having been in a similar situation before, I know how you must be feeling.

My opponent had a bigger advantage, like yours. He was around 15kg heavier than I was, and he had a neck and shoulders of a bull. His chin was smaller than mine, though. Kinda sharp.

I lost the first time though, got KO'd, but what I remember is that I couldn't do enough damage to bring him down. I had more contact, and I hit his noggin way more than he hit mine.

Well, what I did after that was actually kinda Rocky-like.

I tried to hit like a truck.

I struggled to perfect my straight jab, and my left cross (I'm a southpaw).

I attached 3 heavy duty latex bands to my wall, and with my back facing the wall and the latex bands in hand, did reps for jabs and crosses up to 1000 times daily for 3 weeks. Weights don't really work for me, as the opposing force is mostly downwards. Trust me on this.

I asked other boxing veterans for advice on my problem. Most of them said the same thing.

Hit harder.

So I tried to. I analysed my footwork too. Not for dodging or floating purposed, but the way my feet, and essentially the rest of my body, moved when I throw a punch.

For my straight jab, my lead foot is flat on the ground and my rear heel lifted off the ground slightly. When I execute the punch, my waist is pivoted slightly and my rear heel slams to the ground while my lead foot's heel is raised. At the same time, my shoulder is also raised slightly to increase the power. Try it then you'll see. It's kinda hard to explain in words.

It's got to do with the transfer of power from the ground up.

Similar rules apply for my left cross, but with opposing footwork. It takes some time to get used to, I'll tell you that.

In the end, after 3 weeks of training, I came up against the guy again.

It ended around the 2nd minute of the 2nd round, when I dropped the guy with an uppercut speedily followed by a right hook.

A few tips.

1) Fast combos are good. But not good enough if they're not damaging. If so, don't tire yourself out.

2) Don't punch AT the target. Punch THROUGH your target. That'll make the bugger feel some pain. Don't believe me? Ask your sparring partner to try it out on you.

3) Quicken up. Don't punch someone and take your time to retract your limb. That time is better used to execute another blow.

4) For monsters like the guy you faced who could take a beating or two, don't go for bodyshots that much. If his chin can take a full on straight shot from you, and he doesn't waver one bit, then you're probably in trouble.

5) Aim the temples, side of face (top of the cheeks but below the eyes), the side of jaw, under the jaws and under the chin. Try a 1-1-2 (left-left-right) combo to these areas. Could help you some, I'd wager.

6) If you could catch him while he's swinging to your right, give him a right hook. Vice versa.

7) This one's really tough. My country's olympic boxing veteran told me this. "If you can bring the bugger's face to your glove, then you've got it made."

Hope I was of some help.

Cheers.

Last edited by asfi on Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more tips.)
Back to top Go down
Hunter32

PostSubject: Re: Guys that just wont go down?!   Guys that just wont go down?! EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 10:29 pm

Yea, guys i understand that its not the best way to go about it. But its inside me now lol.
Going to college now (just starting on my Psychology degree) and its just a way that people are around here it seems. I do not get into any of the idiotic stuff, i wont box anyone for "sport" bare knuckles or any of that crap.

This guy just had my number it seemed. He used his size advantage + the fact that body shots did nothing to him to just nullify most of my strategies.

And he was REALLY into these big upercuts,and comming over the top of my gloves with his right hook in a downward motion. I nearly got rocked by one of these and it may have gotten my mind in the wrong place. This is all afterwards me thinking back uppon it.

The 1st big over the top right hook thing, glaced my eye and from then on out it was if i was just saying. Holy shit, watch out for that big shot. And nothing else.

Well, thanks for the feedback!
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Guys that just wont go down?!   Guys that just wont go down?! EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 2:08 am

hiya,
i can only add my 'take'. and it isn't counter to anyone elses, but my first thought was this:
[just in case my dyslexia got the best of me; i just want to recap...fight of your life against a much
bigger opponent; both bedraggled; you held your own--if i remember, he felt more defeated than you].

sounds okay to me mate. i don't know. i remember something like that. i felt outweighed, etc...in the end
i just wanted to make a big impression. i think i walked away (sport fighting...just for clarity) feeling like
the guy could clean my clock if he was more persistant, but that i made him lose his nerve and feel like he
really underestimated my resolve.

part of my annoyance with sports fighting was what it (on occasion) did for my confidence. when the stakes
are higher, so are your options. this really isn't meant to sound overly macho, but considering what your options
are regarding knees, etc... i don't know mate, i'd take the mental resolve home and the 'win', from what i
understood.

i've lost sports fights where my mate is yelling off on the side, "yeah! he knew, he knew" regarding the fire still
left in me, and the sort of lost and timid look of the 'point' winner. humbly i just am trying to say that if it has
done any kind of number on your psych, don't let it bother you.
Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Guys that just wont go down?!   Guys that just wont go down?! Empty

Back to top Go down

Guys that just wont go down?!
Page 1 of 1