Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist? Empty
PostSubject: facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist?   facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 4:16 pm

got this on facebook:

Quote :
Hi Mr. Grannon,

We haven't actually spoken before but you and Bob Spour have taught me so much about self defense, fighting fear and boosting self confidence through your DVDs, thank you ever so much.

I wanted to ask your opinion on something. When it comes to self defense, which do you prefer: a hammerfist strike or the shuto type of strike with the edge of the open hand? I'm trying to weigh up the good and bad points of both and need the opinion of an expert I can trust.

Thank you again.

Regards,
James
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist?   facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:08 pm

my totally subjective preference is a shuto that pops open on impact as I was taught to do it in ninjitsu, but its not something that Ive really used/developed much as I cant think of loads of situations where striking from inside to outside is all that important or useful?

anyone?

Loki I know does not like the shuto he prefers the cestari style axe hand and likes a bit of a hammer fist too... Loki?
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Loki
Admin

PostSubject: Re: facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist?   facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist? EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 5:13 pm

I employ the hammer fist or "chopper" different then what is commonly known as cycling.

Some of what I do for focus mits drills (You can substitude "him" or "jaw" with focus mits)

1.left-straight right, the guy tries to slip or bob and weave retract right hand slams his jaw with a horiztontal swing then go back with the left hook

2. Straight left, the guy ducks, drop left hand to collar bone, right hook to temple

3. Close in short/tight hooking hammer fist with upper cuts etc.

4. When going to the back of neck I do a really short sharp circular blow then retract back and go for a upper cut with the opposite hand to the face

5. Against a stupid tackle, stiff arm to shoulder & side step together, right hammer hand to neck, left upper cut, straight right to temple.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist?   facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist? Empty

Back to top Go down

facebook question- edge of hand or hammer fist?
Page 1 of 1