Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Explosivity and the force of the attack

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RichardB

Explosivity and the force of the attack Empty
PostSubject: Explosivity and the force of the attack   Explosivity and the force of the attack EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 5:17 pm

I've been meaning to post on it a couple of weeks scinse I saw the DVD when you brought up explosivity, but I've continually forgotten to remember it. Apart from the psychological and physiological inhibition you can somewhat overcome with explosive movement, there's another thing going on. Pure physics... Double the weight of your fist, and you double the kinetic energy you generate. But if you instead double the speed, you'll quadruple the kinetic energy delivered on impact.

Bodyweight and structure over muscle power, and speed over mass. As far as I've understood the recipie for power.
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: Explosivity and the force of the attack   Explosivity and the force of the attack EmptyFri Apr 17, 2009 1:58 pm

And acceleration, as opposed to constant speed, until impact, right?

Looks like there's hope for us not built like brick s#*t houses cheers
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Explosivity and the force of the attack   Explosivity and the force of the attack EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Quote :
Pure physics... Double the weight of your fist, and you double the kinetic energy you generate. But if you instead double the speed, you'll quadruple the kinetic energy delivered on impact.

is that right? didnt know that... im not so good with the theoretical side of the moves-

when you say doube the "weight" is that like saying double the "push" or "muscle" behind it? I wish I had paid attention in my physics gcse's now. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: Explosivity and the force of the attack   Explosivity and the force of the attack EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 3:52 am

Well the formula was in all likelyhood not made to calculate the power of a body. It's like that infamous thing about bumblebees not being supposed to be able to fly. Except it does, so there's obviously some variables the model didn't include. (I think it was that they turned their wings in different angles while flapping, to create some extra lift) There's probably a few extra variables in there just from how a body moves. I'm no matematician or phycisist though, just stumbled upon it.

Weight, would mean, mass in this context. Imagine a device that throws rocks in a lab or something.

A 50 gram rock thrown at a certain speed gives 1 unit of kinetic energy.

A 100 g rock at the same speed would give 2 units of KE

But a 50 g rock at twice the speed would give 4 uits of KE.

For a body, apart from fistloads and so on I guess it would have to mean muscle power and bodyweight set in motion. And I'm pretty sure the speed of mobilizing the whole body quickly runs into limits on i.e., how fast you can fall (drop step), overcoming inertia and so on. Not that my knowledge in this domain is by any means extensive.

The way I saw it explained one place mentioned it in the context of weapons. Ie., a stick. It should weigh no more than what you can swing easily around at maximum speed. That should give the most effect for the effort. Seeking a similar sweet spot should work unarmed. But there are a lot of other factors that come into play when exiting the lab and messing with ambulatory meatbags.

Accelerate vs constant speed? Don't know. But I suppose that if you're within a range from which you can be explosive, you won't be slowing down before you make contact as it will be well within reach. I've only been skimming through it so far but a book called Martial mechanics, by Phillip Starr goes over a lot of stuff on how to squeeze as much as possible out of your strikes. It seems well worth a read. It's the second place I've seen that mass vs speed thing too btw.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Explosivity and the force of the attack   Explosivity and the force of the attack EmptySun Apr 19, 2009 9:18 pm

cool concept. my drills have three focusses. driving them back. and playing a game of not letting
their eyes lock on to you. so for the slow drill it's plow forward rocking that puss-head up and sideways,
one hand replacing the other until [when not in a drill] either a knock out or a fall incurs. falling is followed up by stomping. a knockout is better because it's less involved. that is the core of what i teach based on the sneaking suspicion that there's a whole lot of assholes out there who can hit fooking hard, but that might be more interested in a show based on misunderstandings picked up from sports combat.
plan B's are covered but that forward motion is the mainstay. it can turn a skill-less fatty into a formidable charging angry bull. padwork keeps the integrity of the wee arms that add credibility to the charge.

the only thing that i find hard is bringing said torque into play during the charge and drum roll like hammering. so i sometimes change the drill to stiff arming with one arm when the bloke holding the pads is not moving as fast backward, and hammering with the other. this keeps movement going, which keeps him on his heels, and allows for torque with the remaining 'piston' arm.

what i've been finding anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Explosivity and the force of the attack   Explosivity and the force of the attack EmptyWed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 am

Quote :
Weight, would mean, mass in this context. Imagine a device that throws rocks in a lab or something.

A 50 gram rock thrown at a certain speed gives 1 unit of kinetic energy.

A 100 g rock at the same speed would give 2 units of KE

But a 50 g rock at twice the speed would give 4 uits of KE.

ok that sort of helps me get my head around it, as you say there will be other factors with human bodies in motion but the principle will still stand

sounds like good drills to me Russ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Explosivity and the force of the attack   Explosivity and the force of the attack Empty

Back to top Go down

Explosivity and the force of the attack
Page 1 of 1