Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

sobering knife story

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

sobering knife story Empty
PostSubject: sobering knife story   sobering knife story EmptyTue Jun 03, 2008 9:56 pm

Quote :
Thank you Richie, I am an old salty former Marine, and just got out of the hospital, I was attacked by a transient, who I was able to stop in his tracks, but he left only to come back with a knife, that when I finally saw was too late. He was aiming for my heart, I was only able to shift the knife to my lower abdomen, it went threw my stomach and into my pancreas, I have about 50 stitches and was in critical condition, and not expected to survive, but I guess all that physical training came in good, because my body is back and running just fine. I found your site by accident, and was very much impressed, and also happy to find someone that can tell it like it is in layman's terms. Well I will be studying your fantastic techniques and will be looking for one that especially speak about surviving a knife fight. God bless and stay in there we need more people like you.

Sincerely,

Big Lou
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Southpaw

PostSubject: Re: sobering knife story   sobering knife story EmptyWed Jun 04, 2008 8:55 am

Hope you have a full recovery.

Sad to hear that so many people "come back", that they are so vindinctive, geared up for revenge and inflicting pain that they return to cause that damage. And that they have to use a knife to do so.

I'm sure doormen get this all the time.

Anyway hope everything in the future goes well for you Lou, just don't let it stop you from being physical when necessary again.
We should not have to live in some fear.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: sobering knife story   sobering knife story EmptyThu Jun 05, 2008 2:39 pm

Quote :
Hey thanks Big Lou

yeah well I think the reality of an even half way determined or half skilled knife attack is that if you can deflect from your heart into your stomach you have done VERY very well and its a true testament to your training and will to survive.... though Im afraid that opinion isn't particularly popular with some of my martial brethren who choose to believe in the reassuring fantasy of absolute solutions! ... yours is a sobering story mate

take care buddy, thanks for getting in touch

Richie

his reply

Quote :

Thank you Richie, you don't know how that makes me feel, I went through a bit of depression because I was not able to stop him from stabbing me, felt like I failed after all that training and you know people expect me to react in a certain way and use deadly force, But reality and fantasy are two very distinct issues. Keep up the good work and thanks again for your kind words, and thanks for making your excellent product inexpensive, and I really didn't expect you to write me back, I can see you are for real, here in America there are so many bullshitters and its all about the money, you sir are a gentleman,

Take care mate,

Big Lou

its a shame that apart from the violence we sometimes have to endure we also have to cope with the psychological trauma of unmet expectations (totally unrealistic ones) of other people and worse... ourselves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Kieron

PostSubject: Re: sobering knife story   sobering knife story EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 6:56 am

Yes fantasy and reality...films would have us believe that the good guy disarms the knife and then does a cheecky back fist knocking the baddie out cold (bollocks),or grapples the arm and snaps it then moves on to the next baddie who is politely waiting in the wings(bollocks).
I, and am sure many fellas on here have done knife seminars/classes with skilled and experienced men, one was an ex Israeli elite soldier who said and I quote 'in a knife fight against a person who has the proper intention (to use it) the best you can PRAY for is to survive it'.
The class, me included were hoping for a 'technique' to to make us knife proof forever!!What put the icing on the cake was when a bit of an idiot piped up with 'so your saying you'll definately get cut' The instructor walked up to him and quickly jabbed his fingers to the guys neck and said 'no you can definately get dead'.
Whats our beloved government doing about the possession of knives-lowering the age for which you can get prosecuted for carrying from 18 to 16- ok we can all feel safe now...BOLLOCKS!!!!
Back to top Go down
asfi

PostSubject: Re: sobering knife story   sobering knife story EmptySat Jun 07, 2008 7:30 am

Southpaw wrote:

I'm sure doormen get this all the time.

True, that.

A lot of MA or SD practitioners have the misconception that if you train hard, and study the "correct moves" and procedures properly, you'll be safe when confronted with a knife.

The truth is, that doesn't hold up to much, innit?

From my experience with sharp edged implements (in wielding and defending against one), I can safely conclude that there is NO safe way to defend yourself, unarmed, against a blade. Be it a shank, a tactical folder, switchblade, butterfly knife or even a shred-up piece of beer can, you're not safe. The only safe way out is to haul some ass and get the hell out of throwing range.

In knife defence, survival is vital. Receiving some damage for the price of survival is not that bad a deal, I'd say.

I've been a bouncer (or doorman. Whichever is pollitically correct nowadays) at numerous clubs located in the seedy areas of towns before, but I quit the scene due to reasons of health, don't ya know. I am in th' mind of keepin' it, not ta waste it away wit' me life's blood runnin' quick as mercury into th' gutter.

Guns are outlawed where I come from, so the weapon of choices for most troublemakers are blades.

Getting one in you is not a nice experience, but at least, you can make sure that it doesn't hit any of your vital parts.

During the times when I came through a knife-scrap unscathed, it was only because of either one or more of these factors:

a) I had the element of surprise

b) I had a cleared head

c) I had something other than my bare hands to defend with (my doorman coat / the door rope / the rope-stand / another guy's hands)

d) I held a knife myself

Of course, when facing a knife, you've got to be fricking aware of the distance. Of the bugger with the blade. Of the blade. Of the effective range.

Kicking works, but if you can't kick that high, or you kick too slow, all it'll give you is a few lacerations to your lower leg.

And that hurts like a mother.

I always believed that running away from a knife is a good idea.

But if you can't do that (maybe you're cornered, or maybe you're the 1st line of defence against that perp, or maybe you have a moral obligation to get stabbed so others don't. It's your call) and you have to engage with the bugger, then stay away from that pointy thing.

What I've learned is that people who utilize short edged weapons fight like crabs. Which means they can only do damage from the front, top, bottom and a bit to the sides. I learnt this in my school of silat. The techniques for defending, unarmed against a knife-wielding assailant is loosely translated as "fighting the crab".

The danger zone can be mapped out, if you'd care to anyway.

What I'm getting at here is that, if you could sidestep out of the way, and enter his 'circle' from the side and back area, you'd have a fighting chance of rendering him immobile, unconscious or in just plain words, finish the fight. Note that I said "fighting chance". One will have to fight for the chance. That means training. And applying that training.

If it's a long blade like a katana, you'll have to understand the range, motion and dynamics of the blade. I've studied that sword-wielders have it hard up when someone comes at them in close-combat range. You can't really execute a full downward stroke when the other guy is chest to chest with you. But that can be told, another time.

Like I said, running away always sounds like a good idea to me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sobering knife story   sobering knife story Empty

Back to top Go down

sobering knife story
Page 1 of 1