Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Case For Working With Your Hands

Go down 
AuthorMessage
maija
Admin
maija

The Case For Working With Your Hands Empty
PostSubject: The Case For Working With Your Hands   The Case For Working With Your Hands EmptySun Jan 17, 2010 7:48 pm

I just started reading the book "Shop Class as Soulcraft", and am really enjoying it. I have worked with my hands all my life and this book verbalizes much of what has driven my choices in life.
I really recommend it. I'll stick it in the book section also.
http://www.matthewbcrawford.com/

Funnily enough I was discussing driving skill with a friend and fellow Eskrima practitioner the other day. I think I said something like, "...not only is he highly skilled as a martial artist, he drives well too!!"
At which point we started talking about how many martial artists we know are abysmal drivers, and how odd that seems for people that spend inordinate amounts of time working on awareness, co-ordination, quick reflexes etc.
We narrowed it down though .... we figured out that the friends we have who spar, and practice uncooperative contact , i.e. put these attributes into the 'real world', are generally better drivers than those that do not ..... is this an example of thinking AND doing, connecting the work of the hand with that of the mind?
(Disclaimer - this poll was completely unscientific, biased and anecdotal!)
Back to top Go down

The Case For Working With Your Hands
Page 1 of 1