Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The TIGHT ROPE WALK

Go down 
+5
Sharif H
Blakops
roadkill
maija
thugsage
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Danite

The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 7:41 pm

Hi Russ, glad you liked the drills,by the way if you really want people to take the knife seriously use an aluminum training folder knife.Stab full force, they arent dangerous but they will take little chunks out and scratch and bruiise a bit, nothing too serious, but you feel it when it goes into the ribs.We did that for the advanced classes, it ups things a notch.Let me know if you want other drills of all kinds , I have many.Enjoy
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 8:01 pm

Good stuff Danite... Have you tried using a stun gun (hand held) as a knife yet. It's a real shocker and will get your attention the first time or two.
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 10:18 pm

Hey Roadkill, no I havent had the pleasure of trying the stun gun Laughing , but I have trained with elcetric knives, they also make you take things seriously!.Another good tool is the no lie blades training knives, which allow you to see the hits scored with a knife.That will quickly show anyone the reality of the horrid difficulty it is to deal with a knife.In fact I have tried to make the knife my "specialty" over the years and have trained it alot.I remember when we do a week of really hard core knife classes,dealing empty handed with someone from the fence seemed like a walk in the park.Regards
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 pm

Danite. I have a few of the senshido vids. Never seen them control the knife arm. Shred seems to be the order of the day, any vids to demonstrate your point? Would like to get some idea.

Roadkill, shocking!!

Rus, I am battered and bruised & got double leg tookdown that nearly folded my left leg the wrong way at the knee, I thought it was broke it felt so wrong!!! Just extremely swollen & a little muscle tearing i think but fuckit still hurts. just pleased that the direction of force was straight back through it, not side or I really think I would have snapped one of the ligaments in my knee.

Hobbling around like a three legged dog.

Otherwise, Great energy tonight, really good bunch of guys, a few ego's in the first mins & then just cool serious take care of each other whilst punching the shit out of you drills!

I dont feel I was as good or sharp as I could be but I didnt fail in any drill or holdback if I was the attacker, Got complimented on my strikes by a few guys whos opinion I really value. One of them a Prison Guard at a local Cat A/B prison.

Guy who took me down is a first Dan Judoka & probably out weighs me by 4 stone.

Especially pleased because we started with a groundwork drill to warm up. First playing aggressor against a resisting but passive opponent then other way round. As aggressor I tapped all but one (aforementioned Judoka Paul) & as passive no-one got me. one of them is an MMA guy, been training three years. Couldnt choke me, couldnt armbar me or triangle. & you could see he was pissed off about it, still a great guy.

Anyway not sure whether i passed & to be honest not bothered. As you can probably tell I am on a bit of a high! The grading bullshit is just that. its working out with a great bunch of lads in a pressureized environment & not embarrassing myself. No end of confidence booster. I will just have to keep working on my sprawl! (to be fair, he was only 6 inches away, we were running a drill to wrestle standing in jackets ala the vids someone put up a few weeks ago, gotta prepare for these cold winter evenings Very Happy

Anyway I am gonna crack a can. Good night all.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:02 am

Danite wrote:
Hey Roadkill, no I havent had the pleasure of trying the stun gun Laughing , but I have trained with elcetric knives, they also make you take things seriously!.Another good tool is the no lie blades training knives, which allow you to see the hits scored with a knife.That will quickly show anyone the reality of the horrid difficulty it is to deal with a knife.In fact I have tried to make the knife my "specialty" over the years and have trained it alot.I remember when we do a week of really hard core knife classes,dealing empty handed with someone from the fence seemed like a walk in the park.Regards

funny thing. i used to avoid knives like some kind of pugilistic purist. now i'm really into it. i'm sorry i tossed a really
nice dull knife--collectors item wall hanging. i love the intensity of knife defenses. and until now i didn't think of it as
a step down to use only a hand to hand drill. i think it keeps one honestly staying in the hard core SD mode, which is the main reason i like it. because i had some okay hand skills, for years i'd sort of have confidence in my punches in the way
a boxer would. i prefer what the knife drills are doing to my response times and attack styles. already my mates been
tapping me out from going unconcious, and being c-gripped into the wall, etc...

we are beating the shite out of each other--just wanted to add that in case anyone had the terrilble image of me bullying
my friend.

we get ten 'on' drills each. after the first one, the remaining 9 are daunting Laughing

first he's got the knife

then i get it for 10 rounds.

i only regret still feeling that i'm in 2nd gear--wanting to rev up to 6th. nice to work in close quarters because you really
start to notice the corners of metal filing cabinets and other quick turn around solid furniture that can aid in shutting someone
down. it teaches a whole knew kind of awareness. if i can make a wall punch for me, why not pretect my fist.
i don't know about the rest of you, but it's almost impossible to hold back the escalation of violence. it's like my brain goes into this mode of, "you'll be leaving with that knife up your ass if i can help it". i'm not kidding, it's hard to shut that off.
anyone else find this? scratch

Matt,
we posted at almost the same time, you pre'empted again--you're just too good mate. you've k/o'd me twice at that blasted button Wink
sounds like you had a great class and shared the room with a serious and committed bunch. good on ya mate. glad your knee isn't totalled and out of comission. keep your bones safe. i remember a while back finally giving shotokan the kiss goodbye it needed because of all the breaks that left me less able to defend myself Laughing foot to finger, foot to hand, foot to finger, knee to toe, etc...etc... Laughing sounds like you can trust your bunch.
keep posting. it's great to share where it's going, in my case i can take it anywhere one-on-one goes...so i'm apt to use things i hear from you and Danite, etc...

enjoy that can of...drink two for me mate, i've tea totalled and it's bloody hard. a deal with my wife. one gave up meat,
the other gave up booze--for homeostasis. guess who had to give up booze scratch affraid Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Danite

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:11 am

Russ without a doubt training the knife is very intense , it really sppeds things up doesnt it? its all happeneing very quickly.Heres another one can try.Get into a closed space and have an ttacker go at you full force for 20 seconds then hand off the knife to a fresh attacker, do that four times!!!!!!! There is no limit to this stuff.Training the knife sharpens the reflexes greatly.As well the deperation factor really makes you look for solutions in the environment as you mentioned.All in all its great overall training.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:23 am

Danite wrote:
Russ without a doubt training the knife is very intense , it really sppeds things up doesnt it? its all happeneing very quickly.Heres another one can try.Get into a closed space and have an ttacker go at you full force for 20 seconds then hand off the knife to a fresh attacker, do that four times!!!!!!! There is no limit to this stuff.Training the knife sharpens the reflexes greatly.As well the deperation factor really makes you look for solutions in the environment as you mentioned.All in all its great overall training.

cheers mate, i'll try it.
i need some new recruits for it but i love the idea--the gauntlet cheers

don't know if it's because of my skill level being a bit above my mates--possibly a problem, but my drills [while intense] tend to not last 10 seconds. i reckon if there were several more lads wanting to embarass me, i'd have to work my arse off and end up with it handed to me more often. lol!

it reminds me--also, of my obligation to escalate the endurance requirements for my mate. he's powerful, but winded more quickly. so much entering my mind just now, now i want to go back for more Laughing fookin fun. who'd have thought i'd have something that appealed to me in a new way like this.

i think the reason it's so cool is that i no longer have to keep prompting my partner to be more intense--it's the default of anyone with a brain that it must be all out.
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:35 am

Russ I will never forget one of the toughest mother funckin things I ever did was this drill.We were in a ring, we start on our knees in a clinch position, the defender can only use defensive means ( ie grappling type stuff) to control and dominate the attacker as he reaches for a knife,you do this one miniute with one, then another fresh one comes in, then another , then another.When those four minutes were up, i was both elated at having got through it, and scarred at the thought of having to endure anything beyond 30 seconds of a real all out fight.Yes building up endurance is important.I shoot for keeping a minimum capacity to go all out for 3o seconds.I use a heavy bag and just go ape shit on it, all out. Or sometimes we will do intense drils with a partner for that time periodI havent trained much over the past months so I will have to work to get it back, but I want to up to one full miniute.When you feel up to it , try the full four minutes, its a revelation and a good test.
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:39 am

Cool drills Danite.

Rus, your wife gave up your meat? Very sorry to hear that might explain all the pent up rage. Just kidding , and you know that. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:43 am

Danite, eye opening mate.
i've always trained the pads that way. like i'm trying to kill something in 30 seconds--bursts. but that drill you described sounds possitively awesome. i'm going to have my mate read what you entered. let him catch the fever too. What a Face
it reminds me of how much i don't grapple too. i have about 3 or 4 things that constitute my quick turnarounds for grappling, but that would definitely up my game.

i'm about to go clean my house before my wife gets back--or else i'd be fookin writing all night.
glad your making more entries as of late cheers

wish i had that beer Matt was referring to[a.k.a. Blakops]

edited///

JUST READ YOUR ENTRY MATT
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
hmmm, it might explain alot scratch

there just aren't enough sheep in these parts, why is my dog hiding from me Question affraid
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:45 am

Russ the Muss wrote:
and being c-gripped into the wall, etc...

LOL... gotta love those... and imagine the brain sloshing around in the skull as your head bounces off the surface. Ahh good times.

Russ the Muss wrote:
i only regret still feeling that i'm in 2nd gear--wanting to rev up to 6th. nice to work in close quarters because you really
start to notice the corners of metal filing cabinets and other quick turn around solid furniture that can aid in shutting someone
down.

2nd gear is safe for you, your partner, the furniture and surrounding area. When ever we train in close quarter environments, either people get hurt or we break shit all the time. Even when we go into the parking lot between cars we will dent them or nearly take off mirrors and shit. Guys can't keep it in second gear... The testosterone kicks in and boom face meets wall, knee, windshield... you zig when you should have zagged etc etc.
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 am

So So true. I held a guy against the wall tonight whilst hitting him, bad form....felt damn good though!
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:20 am

Hey Russ, give it a try I look foward to your impressions!.Glad I have more time these days , we moved house , finally things are slowing down a bit.Regards
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 3:25 am

PS when I say grappling in this context I mean, simply trying to control the arm with the weapon and or the person in anyway you can, doesnt have to be official brazilian jui jistu, just lay on the guy and hold him down, as you try to get your shin over his bicep and grind it a bit into the ground to make him release the knife, or bang his hand on the ground to do the same.iOr pin his face to the ground sideways with your forearm and grind a bit, while you hold his arm-hand down on the ground.That type of stuff.Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 12:46 pm

Danite wrote:
Enjoy!

i will mate, trust me Laughing
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Hey Black ops, I believe the dvd for knife is called on the cutting edge, but it is a bit dated.Dimitri is coming out with a few new vids over the next few months, so better wait for those.We only try to trap the (or at least I do!!) when "it is right there to be trapped" or when we train a situation of "no choice" Otherwise I try to stun and run.
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 5:53 pm

i will keep my eye out for them,though when you say dated, do you mean the new ones represent a paradigm shift?

I regularly lurk on the senshido forum, know Rus posts there. Any related threads you think are worth looking at?

Have to say the Kapap Sheffield lads on there are good, like their occasional anti-grappling vids, Carl who teaches me, trained with them on the Kapap courses awhile ago.
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 30, 2009 6:43 pm

Hi Blackops, no major conceptual shift , more like a more updated and effective presentation of the concepts. I dont know the shefiled crew personallyu but they seem very professional and a good bunch of guys.When the new dvds come out I will let you know, there will be alot of very good material abou de-escalation and striking from the fence.Cheers
Back to top Go down
D.M.B.

D.M.B.

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 31, 2009 10:33 am

Sharif H wrote:
Russ the Muss wrote:

i think about that alot actually Very Happy

Hopefully when Richie comes back from his South East Asian Sex Tour...

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The TIGHT ROPE WALK   The TIGHT ROPE WALK - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The TIGHT ROPE WALK
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2