Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

TRAINING WITH AN INJURY

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

TRAINING WITH AN INJURY Empty
PostSubject: TRAINING WITH AN INJURY   TRAINING WITH AN INJURY EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 12:39 pm

YEAH SURE,
you think i'm going to say don't do it--to some degree that would be wise,
but i feel those who are really thinking about SP/SD/STREET-FU, and all the
rest of it may have to admit something to themselves:

I MAY JUST HAVE TO FIGHT, EVEN WHEN I'M INJURED

and what you stand to gain from doing your own self training of sorts is
knowing your limitations and options.

i've been taking to doing half-speed/power pad work with a busted rib. sort of
aiming for form, limitations, and using the obvious kick back into 1st gear to
gain a mind for my focussed and angry emotional state. i'm assuming i may be
able to kick in 25% more under a flood of adrenaline. i am not assuming that
i can say 'TIME-OUT, I'M INJURED'. BUT, i obviously have to make some accomodations.

i think i heard Richie once say--or write, FIGHT like you have no time, and no space...
but i couldn't remember the third thing. i added 'no patience'. and to all three i sort of
wove them together with a connecting thread that adds.
FIGHT LIKE YOU HAVE AN INJURY. i've noticed what happens to my mind when it's injured.
when i'm not injured, i have enough of an ego to be thinking about a k/o in top form...without
even realizing, i'm creeping back into my past sport mentality. since my ribs has been
yelling at me--metaphorically speaking, i've noticed people's eyes/ears/throats/balls/knees/
corrotted arteries/etc...more. interesting. perhaps i should keep that state? scratch

it reminds me of something from the family lore. the men in my family have been brutes.
when my great grand father got hold of how much my grandmother was being picked on, etc...
he said to her...one day you'll be like a dog that's been kicked too much, and turn mean.
she used his odd tough love like a credo to live by. it didn't happen until she got battered
by her second husband--after my biological grand dad passed and she remarried to a real piece
of work. but then those words came back to her. she thought of how he'd injured her [dislocated
her shoulder to be precise--and blackened her eyes...no shit, real piece of work]. and within
a short time, my mother had taken a metal flashlight to the guy, my grandmum had kicked him to
the curb, and a friend had beat the shit out of him.
she waited too long for this kind of retaliation, but at least it came.

-TRAIN WHEN YOU'RE INJURED
-FIGHT LIKE YOU'RE INJURED
-IT GOES A LONG WAY FOR PROGRAMMING WHAT YOU'RE MADE OF--MEANING THAT YOU'LL NOT THINK YOU'RE DONE, EVEN IF YOU'RE INJURED.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING WITH AN INJURY   TRAINING WITH AN INJURY EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 2:02 pm

Ha ha... Coincidently this subject has been on my mind quite a bit as of late… lol. You’re right when you say working on form and targeting tends to come to the foreground when injured. But I would ad that, that is great training and should be incorporated when not injured, yet we tend to forget about it until… we’ll were F’ed up again. You also mentioned noticing the more sensitive areas of attack a bit more. That’s a good thing and really should be done all the time IMO, but ya when you’re injured they can become quite important. Made me wonder… is this what it will be like when I’m old and perhaps disabled. When I go out and see old people that are obviously feeble, I think… dam, you couldn’t defend yourself if your life depended on it… I hope I get run over by a truck before I get to that point.

Now I’m rambling…
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING WITH AN INJURY   TRAINING WITH AN INJURY EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 3:48 pm

roadkill wrote:
When I go out and see old people that are obviously feeble, I think… dam, you couldn’t defend yourself if your life depended on it… I hope I get run over by a truck before I get to that point.…

Razz i wouldn't want to be the poor bastard who tries to pick on you when you get into the
bingo and soft food club--phase...he'll be sporting a cane like a tail i'm sure. affraid

how's it going with your road to mend-ville?
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING WITH AN INJURY   TRAINING WITH AN INJURY EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 9:36 pm

It's going good and I feel great. Still sore and stuff like that, but overall improving quickly. I have already got back into teaching some classes (even though I can't do much) and I have started doing no impact upper body training again, it's just going through the motions... know what I mean.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING WITH AN INJURY   TRAINING WITH AN INJURY EmptyTue Sep 15, 2009 11:54 pm

roadkill wrote:
I have already got back into teaching some classes (even though I can't do much) and I have started doing no impact upper body training again, it's just going through the motions... know what I mean.

oh i know what you mean...you're back mate cheers

i always used to think of the aboriginies and 'song-lines'.
it is supposed that they could retrace their long journeys
by the 'songlines' they intuited that they had traversed.
i took that to mean a kind of muscle memory radar.
you're finding your songlines, and i'm betting that not
long from now you'll be finding your way back. i'll refrain
from using metaphors with the word walkabout though Razz
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING WITH AN INJURY   TRAINING WITH AN INJURY EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 1:14 pm

i'm addicted to 'power shots'. but my busted rib has made
me accept form work [50% power], which has lent to speed
work. anyone find this?

i've suddenly noticed something really cool emerging. wing
chun like drills to my padwork and drive backs--meaning
a wee bit less torgue [which fooking hurts my rib] and alot
more speed.

by the end of this month, i reckon i'll have actually gained something
from this. since i'm not built like a gorilla, i really do have a reason to start
focussing on speed more anyway. i just can't do anything without a
shit'load of torque--it's programmed, but now i'm sort of forced to find
the balance between speed and power. i actually remember this form,
of all places, sports. i'd be telagraphing some dirty great power shot and
either land hard on my mark or miss by a mile. Embarassed

anyway, other than not being able to do chin ups--which practically [yes i tried]
sent me back to square one, this is not turning out to be quite as annoying as
i thought it might.

on another aside--that came from another thread but doesn't deserve another
addition [it's simply small talk]. some else tried to do the same thing [sneak up
on me and see if they can scare the shite out me--but who knew me and felt this
was a good idea] got a really nice bladed hand to the side of the face for his
troubles. i didn't plan this, i just sort of spazzed out and reacted. for those who
know me, i really don't mind these kind of 'natural consequences'. all i learn is
perhaps not to do it to others in the SP world geek lest i want the same. i did it
once to a MA friend of mind--in a carry out, and he dropped his food order. stupid
me. i probably should have been nailed myself Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TRAINING WITH AN INJURY   TRAINING WITH AN INJURY Empty

Back to top Go down

TRAINING WITH AN INJURY
Page 1 of 1