Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Combative Fitness Baseline

Go down 
+3
nix
Reg2
Richard Grannon
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

Combative Fitness Baseline Empty
PostSubject: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:13 pm

what should a minimum combative fitness test look like?

I was thinking 10 burpees in under 30 seconds maybe?

Im looking for a good baseline as in "shit if I've let my fitness go to the point where I cant manage -insert exercise- within -insert time frame- then I better get on it" a simple way by which people can easily read it understand it and test themselves

any ideas?
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Reg2

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:16 pm

I think each person has to be able to do 30 normal squats at one go.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyTue May 12, 2009 10:30 pm

in what type of time frame?
Back to top Go down
nix

nix

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyWed May 13, 2009 8:41 pm

I agree with the burpee's... Yay Burpees!
Suggest Tabata Air Squats, score 15 or you need some work Smile
Back to top Go down
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyWed May 13, 2009 9:07 pm

Personally I'd choose the absolute bare minimum requirement as 30 sec all out on a heavy bag before beginning to gas and lose explosiveness. More of a direct connection to the task, more specific to muscles as well. But as opposed to the other suggestions you need a bag.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyThu May 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Nix, what are tabta air squats and how do you score it?

R.B., actually hadnt thought of that but it is the most task specific I suppose
Back to top Go down
darktim99

darktim99

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyThu May 14, 2009 10:48 pm

for a baseline fitness for "street-in-general combat"?

i do this daily not sure if this will help.

50 burpees in under 10mins. BUT eachone you change the action after the "jump" bit. like :-
* 10 x jumps as high as you can
* 10 x 4 explosive punches (all straights) so its like a fancy sprawl and punch
* 10 x stood knee crunches - with this after the press up i stand up with hand behind head. lift one knee to waist height and crunch down with my upper body, REALLY squeeze. but it goes up in 2. so first would be 2 for each knee but alternating from right to left. then will be 4, 6, 8 nd so on till you done you 10 burpess.
* 10 x weighted twists. have the weight in front of you after the burpee has been done pick it up, feet rooted at shoulder width, twist right touch the florr with weight, same thing to the left and then place back infront of you. IF you havent got a weight use a chair agian goes up in 2 as previous.
* 10 x instead of the "press-up" i switch it for dive-bombers/hindu pressups.

also i think if you work the cardio extra with interval runs will help greatly.

hope this helps Smile
DT
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyFri May 15, 2009 4:27 am

well, i'm interested in everyone's take, my minimum
twice a week///

open palm[bread&butter]:

3 sets of 25 [right leg forward stance; left leg forward stance] jab/crosses--with each
set done as if a seperate fight to be spent on [no pacing quality...and same
philosophy throughout]
3 sets of 25 jap slaps--each arm, as if delivered all out and in a hurry

1 sets of 60 headbutts done rapidly and medium to hard

driving back drill with partner holding big striking surface pad--covering upper body
10 sets all out, the width of a basketball court. mostly cross jabs; headbutts; and sometimes
finishing with jap slaps. 9th set done for power so as to re-explore body mechanics; all others
just for explosive speed.

i do other things obviously...but if i had to widdle things down to where i needed some things
to stay and no time...this would be mine

in other words--i ascribe to what RichardB's sensabilities are on this topic
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
nix

nix

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyFri May 15, 2009 10:17 pm

Tabata air squats are just bodyweight squats, 20 seconds exercise, 10 seconds rest, 8 times.
Your score is the lowest or least number of repetitions that you complete in any of the 20 second rounds of exercise.
So even if you did 20 repetitions in the first seven rounds and only did 10 repetitions in the eighth round,
your score is 10.
YouTube clip ...the girl on the right is hardcore.
Back to top Go down
darktim99

darktim99

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptyFri May 15, 2009 11:53 pm

yeah nix is right tababta training is great. short and sweet but very hardcore. i love doing sledge hammer and tire work using the tabata method.
Back to top Go down
D.M.B.

D.M.B.

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline EmptySun May 17, 2009 3:04 pm

I like the burpees in 30 seconds idea, I think that'd do the trick.

There was another one I used to do in kickboxing that we just called a 'superset.' I tried to google it to give you a link but I couldn't find the exercise we did. You may not like it though, as it involves a scissor-like-situp jocolor

Basicaly it's meant to be done all at once in sets of 15, then 10, then 5 reps each motion.

First we'd start with the scissor-like-situps: This is where your arms are straight (not behind your head), and as you sit up you also lift your legs (keep them straight too) up to meet your arms. When your hands meet your feet, the only thing touching the ground should be your tail bone.

We'd alternate these with push ups (onknuckles or three fingers) in decreasing sets: It'd look something like this:

Scissor-situps: 15 reps
(flip over onto your stomach fast)
Push ups: 15 reps

Scissor-situps: 10 reps
Push ups: 10 reps

Scissor-situps: 5 reps
Push ups: 5 reps

Of course it doesn't have to be starting at 15 reps. On fridays we'd start at 10 reps each and count down on less rep ech time so it'd be 10...9...8...7..6...5.. reps each one. affraid

anyways, just thought I'd share that as it used to destroy me lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Combative Fitness Baseline   Combative Fitness Baseline Empty

Back to top Go down

Combative Fitness Baseline
Page 1 of 1