Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

smooth vs ragged movement - newsletter

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

smooth vs ragged movement - newsletter Empty
PostSubject: smooth vs ragged movement - newsletter   smooth vs ragged movement - newsletter EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 12:15 pm

What is "good martial arts form"?

Usually it is movement that is fluid, clean and precise. Controlled. Smooth.

But is that the most effective way of getting the job done in a street fight?

We want to inflict unconsciousness, damage, pain, fear and trauma as quickly, as efficiently and with the maximum EFFECT possible. Right?

Here is an example for your consideration:

In grappling "good form" usually means "no gaps" and fluid, decisive movement.
Gaps are sloppy, they provide your opponent with small opportunities to work for an escape, reversal or submission.
In grappling a lack of "fluidity" is usually perceived as hesitation (fear), indecisiveness or a lack of skill .
Short, hacking, jagged lines are usually the hall marks of the aggressive but unskilled beginner. They are a nuisance to roll with as they frequently cause injuries "by mistake". There is a lesson there for street fighters.

To learn more about this principle check out the new video lesson here
Ragged Vs Smooth Movement Video Lessonhttp://www.beta-8.com/DVD2.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
MrDan

smooth vs ragged movement - newsletter Empty
PostSubject: Re: smooth vs ragged movement - newsletter   smooth vs ragged movement - newsletter EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 11:10 am

Good stuff, like the video and info on this Richie. I haven't really done any grappling work at all but it's highlighted an area that I think I will spend some time on. Got me thinking about the 'fluid and smooth' stuff perhaps more associated with forms and Tai Chi in particular where the aim of the game is for fluidity in motion, whole body movements rather than jagged and jerky moves. The stage I'm getting to now is that during solo practice I am aiming for smooth movement which I am trying (easier said than done at the moment) to hold the violent intent to mentally link what this movement actually means in a martial sense.

This is all fine and well but when I am training with a couple of guys and we go through this it all changes - which is exactly what I am looking for. Smooth movement is relatively easy on your own because there's nothing in the way. When a couple of other people are thrown into the mix smooth is fine until the point of contact and then the movement becomes messier and jerkier with lots of, what I've seen called, 'incidental strikes' all over the place. We've tried to continue in a smooth movement (just to see if it works) even during contact but it is just not effective and feels contrived and quite useless. I can really associate with the 'pulsing' motion you mentioned and this is something we will focus on.

Great stuff though Very Happy
Back to top Go down

smooth vs ragged movement - newsletter
Page 1 of 1