Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Interesting challenge tonight

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
AdamM

Interesting challenge tonight Empty
PostSubject: Interesting challenge tonight   Interesting challenge tonight EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 10:56 am

Along with our RSBD training and our striking training we'll occassionally do either some sticks (my guvnor comes from an escrima background) or some grappling. The ground fighting is never presented as an option for the street, but a bit of variation every couple of months keeps people interested. Got to get the feet through the door.

Anyway, the challenge is, before we train on a monday, the hall is used by a Ju Jitsu club (trad rather than BJJ). Nice fellas and I've been invited to go early and train with them. I thought, why not? I like a bit of groundfighting (I've dabbled a fair bit over the years) and I might pick up a couple of technical bits for the next time we grapple in our session. Trouble is I've watched them train before and the striking and weapon stuff they do is the worst kind of pre-arranged, step thrust, slow motion stuff that's the polar opposite of the way all of us here know it should be done. Not sure I'll be able to keep my mouth shut.
Back to top Go down
paulb

paulb

PostSubject: Re: Interesting challenge tonight   Interesting challenge tonight EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 3:24 pm

I suppose reality is what you want it to be. RBSD is certainly pragmatic, for street encounters, where as traditional Martial arts are very good at teaching children discipline, but not good when it come to the crunch(I do accept that there a some very good fighters whom handle themselves well inspite of their TMA background). Do you think that they would listen anyway? I doubt that they are blind to RBSD ,but chose to train their TMA way regardless.
Back to top Go down
AdamM

PostSubject: Re: Interesting challenge tonight   Interesting challenge tonight EmptyMon Apr 21, 2008 4:28 pm

perhaps if I train with them a while they might ask for some tips on their striking, but if I'm not asked, I won't offer. I'm in their school after all.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Interesting challenge tonight   Interesting challenge tonight EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 8:50 am

do it the scouse way:

keep your gob shut, smile through the BS and just steal what you need from them What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
AdamM

PostSubject: Re: Interesting challenge tonight   Interesting challenge tonight EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm

very enjoyable session actually.

some good stuff and some daftness. for example, a nice single leg take down, but with a silly tying the legs in a knot. Also a nice throw with a series of restraints that involve me intentionally rolling around with the bad guy (as opposed to the obvious knee drop and stand up that was staring me in the face.

definitely worth my time though.
Back to top Go down
RCS

PostSubject: Re: Interesting challenge tonight   Interesting challenge tonight EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 4:33 pm

Nice to hear that you found it worthwhile. It is always good to go into these kinds of situations with an open mind. I always try to pick up one or two ideas (techniques, tactics, drills) whenever I go and train with somebody new.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting challenge tonight   Interesting challenge tonight Empty

Back to top Go down

Interesting challenge tonight
Page 1 of 1