Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Some Thoughts On Size

Go down 
+6
thugsage
maija
RichardB
dellboy7500
Richard Grannon
nix
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 8:01 pm

I dont really want the thread to get too confused and it seems like different points might get discussed at the same time so Im goin to split the thread

Danite, Im going to repost your question on a separate thread mate, if its cool with you?
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 8:20 pm

Soahc

you haven't got majority support on this one mate, so Im goin to say this with the caveat that obviously everyone i entitled to their opinion and no religious conversion is sought Very Happy

if I may?

Quote :
I mentioned Anderson Silva as my favorite fighter, and he illustrates part of my point: being acrobatic can win a match. Anderson jumps around a lot, flying knees, spinning backfists, etc, and he is the greatest pound for pound fighter in the world.

comparing an MMA fighter to a Self Protection context is like comparing Olympic Javelin throwing to Greek Battle tactics... it represents just one of the many Skillsets required for SP, performed in a sanitised and controlled unambiguous environment

in other words

it just don't work

Those techniques of Silva;s are to be much admired, but of more Combative relevance is his strategy- they are the last thing his opponent suspects, they land with the element of surprise and when they work beautifully it is because he has hit his opponent in a "soft state"

lovely stuff, without a doubt he is a skilled fighter and very entertaining to watch

is it this "acrobatic back elbow" you said you would use?

I dont mean to bang on, but you are superimposing a technique from an irrelevant context here.

Without time, space, good footing and the opportunity to lure your opp. into relaxing this would not be applicable

It could happen in a street context if you were not under pressure, but then many things are possible when you aren't under pressure

against a weak attack any technique works

(this is "the russian trap" Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 11, 2009 11:40 pm

Hey Richie no problemo!
Back to top Go down
soahc

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 5:30 am

Richard Grannon wrote:

I dont mean to bang on, but you are superimposing a technique from an irrelevant context here.

Are you saying you don't think Silva would fare well in a street fight? I think there is some relevance.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Now hang on

you are both :

- avoiding the key points of my argument

and

- putting words into my mouth

naughty Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 3:40 pm

soahc,there are many techniques that would work like a charm if they could be applied like a charm.I would suggest you should have a look at video of real street violence and the speed and stress levels at which it happens.Cage fighting and defeating a suprise assault by assholes who thinking watching you bleed on the ground is some form of entertainement is not the same thing.if your intresst is self defence it is self defence you need to train for, which means training to deal with the way things really happen in the world not in the arena.Just my humble suggestion to you.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 3:48 pm

Danite wrote:
soahc,there are many techniques that would work like a charm if they could be applied like a charm..

nicely put...nuff-said cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
soahc

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Danite wrote:
soahc,there are many techniques that would work like a charm if they could be applied like a charm.I would suggest you should have a look at video of real street violence and the speed and stress levels at which it happens.Cage fighting and defeating a suprise assault by assholes who thinking watching you bleed on the ground is some form of entertainement is not the same thing.if your intresst is self defence it is self defence you need to train for, which means training to deal with the way things really happen in the world not in the arena.Just my humble suggestion to you.

Hence my flurry thread.
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 13, 2009 10:15 pm

I understand what you are trying to get at my firend.I am just humbly suggesting that you disconnect sports figthing or even what is commonly called street fighting from Reality Based Self Defence.yes there are indeed a number of sports fighting techniques that can be used for self defence.But thekey question is one of context and capacity to apply them when one is under the reality of what happens to a person when he is under the kind of severe stress that occurs when you suddenly have been forced to transition from the normal world to that of the jungle and sewer within one second.Regards
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Thoughts On Size   Some Thoughts On Size - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Some Thoughts On Size
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2