Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should everyone learn some form of self defence?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mark

Should everyone learn some form of self defence? Empty
PostSubject: Should everyone learn some form of self defence?   Should everyone learn some form of self defence? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Hi I’ve been researching different self defence classes to find out which one I should join and I couldn’t believe how many self defence classes there were in my area I guess with all high memberships and paying good money to go. I also found this website via youtube. The media is constantly bombarding us with stories of violent confrontation and I myself have noticed a rise in violence on Saturday nights in town. It just seems to me that the people who aren’t learning how to defend themselves have got their heads in the sand. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Slag34

Slag34

PostSubject: Re: Should everyone learn some form of self defence?   Should everyone learn some form of self defence? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 1:32 pm

I think that it's a good idea for people to learn a form of self defence for many reasons. Not only does it help you look after yourself but also boosts your confidence and helps you to keep the weight off if you're a fan of pies!

I think it's important to look at what the people you're signing up with are teaching though. Testimonials are important...as are the credentials of those teaching the classes. There are plenty of charlatans out there teaching stuff that will get you into trouble were you ever to use it in a real situation.

I personally study Krav Maga under the IKMF (none of this Commando Krav Maga silliness). They are the people who directly train the IDF so I know that their methods are pressure tested...but I still make sure to test them myself and never accept something they tell me without questioning it first.

Richard Grannon's systems (the stuff on this site) work quite well alongside my Krav training and the added pyschology elements are very interestng and it is obvious how they can be applied. I would highly recommend buy and watching the material on offer here...there's no BS involved whatsoever....just good advice and instruction.

I personally suggest that all my friends get involved in a Reality Based Self Defence system of some kind so that should anyone start on them they will wish they'd picked on someone else very quickly!
Back to top Go down
http://www.infractormusic.com
darktim99

darktim99

PostSubject: Re: Should everyone learn some form of self defence?   Should everyone learn some form of self defence? EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 6:16 pm

i honestly think that all women should. it hink that this should start in pphys ed class in school. i also think they should be free and funded by the state.

i think that eveyone doing it? maybe but then again can you imagine that all the shit and low life knowing how to stick the pain on in and EVEN more skilled manner? man that be harsh place to live.

so yes and no really,
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Should everyone learn some form of self defence?   Should everyone learn some form of self defence? EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:04 am

all good advice, only adding that the RBSD/ETC stuff helps make the unpredictable less frightening. study in uniforms and it'll still be a great let down for what is really going to happen. krav sounds good,
RBSD/COMBATIVES, ETC...all sound good. having lads shout and trip you while your going at someone
in a drill/etc...like Richie teaches. this is a better preparation for what can only be guess work. what seperates Richie from many others is that he's been a doorman, and not just a tournament junky playing violent--but impressive, tag-your-it.
Shag summed it up nicely--for confidence, etc...
i would add that having a personal self training thingy in addition to classes helps you work on
some strengths of your own, that you have up your sleeve. i spend ALOT of time on the pads on
about 3 strikes only. when i teach, i cover loads more bases, but personally i keep about three
things that feels like the sky opening and the gods coming to descend on a person--for my own
confidence boost. i chose them for their minor and major appearances that brought success in my
youth. in the moment, drawing on less is better--when confidence returns, then perhaps other
options can be explored. my humble opinion.

i'm not sure i am humble actually, but i'm certainly aware that in a site like this, i'm humble and all
ears for what others are saying. stick with Richie and others that appear to be eschewing the same
advice. you increase another's perception of risk, and empower your own self esteam along the way.

good luck mate
last thing i want to say is not to see yourself as 'defending' but rather 'attacking' for what it's worth.
i've known many--myself included, that turned 'defending' into 'backpedaling' and ended up with
a pounding. those that fair better are thinking like an 'attacker'. if a school/etc...helps you feel that,
you are on a good course.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should everyone learn some form of self defence?   Should everyone learn some form of self defence? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should everyone learn some form of self defence?
Page 1 of 1