Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

pacing and skill/mindset acquisition

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

pacing and skill/mindset acquisition Empty
PostSubject: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Richie wisely figured out this formula--getting a student to grow
without hurting him, burning him out [him/her implied], but also
not making the conditions too gentle.

i have yet to figure this one out. it behooves me to set some
cash aside for his beta8. sequencial layered building blocks of
sound growth for the student. i've used a few of his concerning
grappling--otherwise i'd have little to offer in this area.

it's the end of the productive year. those near 18 yr olds that i had
are all trying to slither away without being obvious--burned out and
mildly gleeful at the prospect of not having me chucking them all
over the grass--shouting out 10 drills of drive backs, etc... i'm a bit
OCD for the idea that a student should be able to say, "if i can handle
what my teacher puts out, than i'm not worried about this..."

my few paying customers are in the bracket that leaves for the summer.
everyone is fazing out. my one or two that joined at the end and still
haven't realized what a burden 'consistency' and 'endurance' is...well, i'm
also going away, so they'll have to imagine how they'd have been able
to do what the others couldn't. i set the bait for september...several lower
income guys who couldn't afford their MMA classes. "it's free from me but
you can't miss a class"...a deal with the devil. they leave imagining that they'd
come back and say 'yeah, i'm up for it'. maybe one or two will. these guys
represent my training for me. i'm up front about it. i tell them nothing is free
and this is they're payment--they're helping me and i'm helping them.

now i'll be self training, probably enjoying not lighting metaphorical fires
under people's toes, but missing it all the same.
still trying to get that vid together before they all run away. my tech geek is
saying i have to wait until the school year breaks [school equipment] which
might be too little too late.

there's a symbol in the i-ching that is described in meaning as, "the sun
sets at mid-day...and i think the implications are that the sigmoid curve
has been reached for this lot, and the sunset approaches.

i guess i'm guilty of running these shows like boot camp. paying customers
get the gentler version. bitter/sweet that. wish i could find some sadists who
paid me to make their collective lives miserable, but such is the lot of a teacher
who presumably worries about the finished product more than the student has
an idea to.

reflections of an old wood tick, me.

what i've learned is maybe to present warnings, have one day in about 8 that
represent misery--well warned in advance. emotionally people can ready themselves
for this. but all things said, i think my 'shit hits the fan' style has readied them
for many things relating to dealing with shit-storms.

and chinamasta me, i've had alot of nice trainings from it all, benefiting me. it must
be a symbiotic relationship or i just wouldn't have it in me. i feel that all are intitled to
pressurizing, even the teacher. in reality, it isn't a particularly hard class for those who
have decided it's what they want. it's on the normal side of RBSD. but for those expecting
team outings to the mall at the food court, mock tournaments, and light air sparring--i
suppose it was a drastic introduction into the odd world of self defense.

i'm turning the lights out, the counters have been wiped down, i'm looking back once
to remember some of the rituals that came out of this year...and i'll probably get something
committed to journals after this year. the upside is that my bosses that were mildly aware
of what i was doing for some of their at risk oafie high school kids--have offered me a year
long version that can serve as credits. they've insisted on two conditioning days, and two
actual SD subject days--perhaps anticipating the burn out as well [four days a week from
the hypothetical older high school kids. this i look forward to.

in korea, they've have 5 years of TKD before they finish high school--offered by the school
system. i'm selling my school on a idea like this--which will invariably be marred by some belt
system, and all the hierarchical bullshit that comes with it. but at least i'm doing what i like.
which, incidentally never pays--if money is what you're after. it does pay if experience is.

EDIT///
lol! lol! lol!

i just found out that my school has okay'd my SD highschool class--they're calling
it [brace yourself]
MARTIAL ARTS/BOOT CAMP
ha ha ha ha ha

i'm happy about it, but somewhere in there is a disconnect that is ultimately not important.
i'm still courting the roughnecks and rednecks that might make the class carry a high standard
work ethic. something to look forward to i guess. maybe i'll make everyone where BVD's and
yin/yang t-shirts--w/red sun rising head bands
lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyTue Jun 09, 2009 11:38 pm

Sounds awesome.

Chinnamasta's altar of sacrificing ego and comfort to obtain the secret of ass-kicking. Laughing

I'm imagining doors chained shut after entry and a proclamation "enter at will, but you may not leave, until you can fight!" Twisted Evil

Of course, operating in public, connected to the school system as well, may require some compromise. Which seems to be your reservation? But that will hopefully not become a problem. The beta-8 program is good stuff. Ergonomic, gradual progression and increase of resistance along with skill. Another cool thing is that good old Jake the muss happens to be going through the stages of the beta-8 fight breakdown pretty damn close to how it's laid out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB3C6KP6pGY&feature=related
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 6:46 am

RichardB said///
"I'm imagining doors chained shut after entry and a proclamation "enter at will, but you may not leave, until you can fight!"

Of course, operating in public, connected to the school system as well, may require some compromise. Which seems to be your reservation? "

honestly mate, you've no idea. my ongoing speech is, "get something out of this, before they really catch on to what this class is"

and the bit about reservations, i make an adjustment based on a watered down class that i'm being
observed in--then it's back to business. my biggest two problems:
-wimpy default buttons from the ones that begged me for the class; one of my tough kids that has been locked up twice since i started training him--and ended up in a runaway style home, even he would get this moody tamtrum face and ask, "can't we play basketball today, i don't feel like training" arrrgh!!!
-parents... one parent claimed it was a bad influence as her son stood up to her boyfriend over some squabble; another is still supposed to get in touch with me about some lost expensive ear-ring during a particularly spirited class. these were both top students at one point but for one of the two reasons [wimyness/parents], have drifted away from exploring higher potentials.

i want to shake the parents sometimes, who's sons are bigger than they are physically, and are showing some last gesture of interferrence based on the erronious idea that they're helping. sort of scent marking one last time before they move out and are hired out for the circus wrestling bears, or contributing to the fields of manual labor. if i've wound them up, this is a transition that i'm aware of
and constantly remind them of how this little formula will work for them...and how it wont. [eg/// i'm teaching you to be a dick head, which you will learn is something that once the purpose has been surved and keeps you safe, you must put your metaphorical clark kent glasses back on and invest in the painstaking ritual of gaining public support to the merits of your personality/character]. a weekly mantra. 'you may be a shit head inside, but only allow this dingleberry tidbit of your blossoming personality to flower when the conditions finally give you permission. someone is threatening you or a loved one, thank them--appologize before hand, and let one hand replace the other in a flurry of hits with no end in sight. let your hands block out the sun. make their lives flash before their eyes. nail them and savor every moment.' lol!

i work under the premise that they have a shelf life, but i don't want to hear, "i did what you said and got my ass kicked". so far three of my little darlings have been in fights and did just fine. you'd think the penny would drop and they'd be running back to class with bells
on. they probably think they're masters now though Rolling Eyes
two out of three of those were directly attibutable to the new skill set of head controls i rammed down their collectice gobs. a skill new to me since my intro to Richie's stuff--both involved making good use of rasta dreads. long hair is turning out to be the door handle of street fighting. Razz the last one just involved some old fashioned 'sticking'. it's a tight wire act for outside scrutiny. on one occasion, i really thought a passer by in a car was going to make a phone call--never mind the drill like quality.

some of the best lessons for me, were two of those three guys trying to make a veiled statement on me. it kept me honest. i hid my initial annoyance and realized how this was beneficial to myself. it started a trend of me saying. sometimes you'll come to class and know you're not in the right mindset, on these occasions we have a place for you. but you can only train with the teacher as at least i understand what is going on in your head. my ear still aches from an oafie guy who lost control and put his knee to my ear. as a teacher you have to 'absorb' these moments gracefully, then have them meet the pavement--smiling and warmly appearing as part of the lesson Laughing "can i help you up, sorry mate...when you come that hard, the moves come out harder..." controled lessons, and a wee bit fun for all--not necessarily at the same moments. surprizingly low in physical injuries, and usually putting as much emphasis into building them up as i can--another factor of assuming i don't have long with them.

some lighter moments included one of those three guys mildly and not permenently injuring his own neck, getting a taste for head butting but having to put up with the slow learning curve that is: timing; and body mechanics. on another occasion, a passing heckler was invited to join--rather than talk trash. on his 'drive back' drill, i can honestly say it was the first time i've EVER seen a pad win a fight affraid
i almost had my big red pad buy him flowers and call him the next day. a lot of old fashioned non PC humor when people lost their temper, "sweety,don't go away mad,just go away....it's not you, it's me...call me...will you have dinner ready when i get home?...[my favorite] i'm not laughing at you, i'm laughing with you [followed by mock exagerated theatrical laughter]"

i like the jake-the-muss clip. he's the alter ego. i love his pacing and emotions--even if it's just a character. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 2:09 pm

Quote :
but only allow this dingleberry tidbit of your blossoming personality to flower when the conditions finally give you permission. someone is threatening you or a loved one, thank them--appologize before hand, and let one hand replace the other in a flurry of hits with no end in sight. let your hands block out the sun. make their lives flash before their eyes. nail them and savor every moment.'

ah HAHAHAHA!

thats awesome Russ, Im made up the school is backing it

whats a "drive back"? basically just bodily driving your opp backwards?

there is a section on the B8 pahse 2 called "shunting" ("iron mountain" in chinese according to thug chi master reg wong) I need to get you these Beta8 dvds mate, I think you will love them
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyWed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

the submitted school syllabus--unless i hear otherwise, they needed an
idea///
"Self Defense [sd]: Mondays and Thursdays—no specials/OT/etc… on these days as it must represent a group growth curve.
Criteria—The Six Limbs:
Monday
1. Meditation for mindset. The most important part of the training. Without the mind for defending oneself, none of the skills can come together. A point that many traditional martial arts school lose site of, at the peril of their trusting students.
2. Padwork [x3]: show casing 3 core attacks. The student will use 2 core skills given by the teacher, and choose one that appeals to their sensibilities from 4. Padwork is done differently here, serving as a moving meditation. Intention and body mechanics are developed on the pads, without the pacing sports focus, but rather the full out bursts one can expect if successfully defending themselves.
3. Slow drills [x3] emphasizing the pre fight ritual: key points explore responses if hands are in the up position vs. what to do if hands are in the down position—regarding an approaching threat. The student will slowly explore forward drive—tai chi speed, following a training partners natural escape path and exploiting a constant attack, known as ‘sticking to the opponent’.
Thursday
4. GCR: concept of self protection introduced by Richard Grannon, a self defense pioneer in the UK. It represents a sound starting point for protecting oneself and simultaneously attacking. A hybrid between a block and a strike. The ‘pike’ included in this piece—keeps striking range while insuring unsure footing on the part of one’s opponent.
5. Drive back drills [x3] focusing on applicable endurance/strength training—rather than isolated muscle groups. This exercise builds tenacity and nurtures forward drive as an initial response to pressure. It is probably the single most important physical exercise in the process of over-riding natural impulses to freeze and lose ground.
6. Headcontrols [x3]: pressure tests show casing sound back up strategies if the strike piece does not pan out—involves grappling and take downs. Controlled environment with mildly non compliant training partners. Heavily monitored as a foundation for ‘plan-B’ training."

i probably need to reword everything--but i rushed this out to them this morning.

Richie wrote///
"whats a "drive back"? basically just bodily driving your opp backwards?

there is a section on the B8 pahse 2 called "shunting" ("iron mountain" in chinese according to thug chi master reg wong) I need to get you these Beta8 dvds mate, I think you will love them"

check out numbers 4 and 5...
one guy holds a big pad, the other tries with all his being to drive back--even with the objective of
knocking the pad holder over [we're on the grass doing the drill and the pad is a dirty great thing
forgiving for accuracy for it's surface area].

i'm working on getting your B8 for shunting--i like the sound of it!!

our drive back has showcased knees, elbows, jab/crosses, finishing jap-slaps, headbutts...all there
to build the agro. it also showcased what i used to call stiff arming--but now wisely call piking after
said pioneer Cool

i usually go first with my fav's: jab/cross; headbutts...finishing jap slaps if i have them against a surface like a fence or wall. it's really fun, i'm going to be missing it this summer.

oops, rushing off now to give a high school final exam for softball--which in the authentic assessment
scheme of things merely means...PLAY LONGER TODAY AND NO WHINING PLEASE...
ha haha lol!
Back to top Go down
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 2:59 am

Sounds like a good outline. Maybe you should cover it all up in euphemisms to keep it going.

"Oh we're not violent, heavens no. Hitting people and everything. To even think such a thing. What we attempt to do is situationally realigning the subject's physical posture in time and space into a horizontally oriented safety and resting position on the underlying surface structure through the application of specified constellations of bio-mechanical movement by which which bodyweight is transferred via the cyclical application of a metacarpal-mandibular contact pattern until the subject is sufficiently tranquil." Laughing
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:07 am

Well, I for certain see Physics, Physiology, Psychology represented, with perhaps some Maths, Anthropology, Sociology and Bio Chemistry thrown in.
You could call it 'Interdisciplinary Studies' Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 am

RichardB wrote///
""Oh we're not violent, heavens no. Hitting people and everything. To even think such a thing. What we attempt to do is situationally realigning the subject's physical posture in time and space into a horizontally oriented safety and resting position on the underlying surface structure through the application of specified constellations of bio-mechanical movement by which which bodyweight is transferred via the cyclical application of a metacarpal-mandibular contact pattern until the subject is sufficiently tranquil"

lol!

me thinks i need a co-teacher, what're you doing next year Razz

Maija wrote///
"I for certain see Physics, Physiology, Psychology represented, with perhaps some Maths, Anthropology, Sociology and Bio Chemistry thrown in.
You could call it 'Interdisciplinary Studies'
"

and you, mate, could be the guest speaker that is paid to come in--staying at the down town
renaissance hotel lol!

as soon as the school principle leaves, the school psychologist gets bored and follows...then the
doors get doubled chained, the curtains get drawn, we put on these masks
Evil or Very Mad RichardB
Twisted Evil Maija
rendeer Russ
king Richie

the students
affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid affraid
pale pale pale pale Embarassed Embarassed pale What a Face affraid affraid

...and then start playing heavy death metal music loud enough to drown out the screams

it was almost 'nixed'. "mr. sage, i only have two showing an interest"...
i went round with a clipboard and backed people into a corner with the question--making
sure to have at least half that amount that might actually carry the class for seriousness.
"YES or NO? QUICK...WHAT'S YOUR ANSWER!" affraid
hesitators were told, "YOU DON'T WANT THIS CLASS...IT'S NOT FOR YOU" Sad

my complete anabolic list was presented to my bosses within about hour of my working on it
at my keyboard. not letting this op slip away! lol!
Back to top Go down
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 6:47 pm

lol!

For some reason, this picture drifts to mind.

http://www.churchofsatan.com/

The masks, heavy metal, general wickedness of the situation, etc.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyThu Jun 11, 2009 11:34 pm

little melinda was ready for a break, after 11 hours of straight headcontrol fights, she started--uhm
requesting to use the loo...or something affraid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyJI9xDUYV8

study scratch

mr. sage's response, "get back to work, you slacker!"
Back to top Go down
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyFri Jun 12, 2009 11:53 pm

lol! scratch

Must be the adrenaline. Laughing
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition EmptyMon Jun 15, 2009 4:35 pm

what's telling is that NONE of my original students are returning--maybe
the words boot-camp should remain on the card! affraid

i think--though i'm quick to joke about it, that a great many of them
just don't have mental stamina. they've never tried hard to do something
for a long time. i haven't questioned those not returning, and i've even
suggested one not come back.

i'm always worried about beating someone down--and them not getting
back up [metaphor here]. that girl i used to train whose exhusband shows
up threaten her--i had to let her go. she's used me as a crutch to 'feel' she
was doing something about her life, then proceded to tell me why she wasn't
going to make it in that day. i told her directly that she's creating a pattern
for low self esteem when she commits to something, only to back out continually.
at some point she'd feel like a big failure.

i always end by saying, 'come back when you're ready'. i'm probably shooting
my own foot, but where i don't see effort, i just don't have the patience or
time. this is my f*&king time. that's how i see it. use it like a thief, take
selfishly and move ahead but don't fooking sap the energy of a class and
hang around because it's cool to feel martial artsy. that really makes me want
to tie them to the hood of my car and drive them around like a fallen deer. rendeer

where are those meds affraid scratch

i'm actually proud of those that made it to the end of the year, and wished one
of them would continue--but i guess that ear-ring he lost during a head control
training was more important in the grand scheme of things lol! in the end, what
i've noticed is that the stronger mind--the marathon mind, commits him/herself to
training more. this is a mind that can be intillectually coaxed into overriding all the
shitty little unambitious mechanisms that tend to run people collectively into the ground.
i have one guy left that i took on near the end of the year--begrudgingly as i thought
he didn't have the stomach for pugilistic endeavors. he is thus far progressing nicely--to
my surprize. coincidentally, he's one of those guys that doesn't socialize much and applies
himself to all of his work. a wee bit OCD. perhaps this is my prototype to look for.hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pacing and skill/mindset acquisition   pacing and skill/mindset acquisition Empty

Back to top Go down

pacing and skill/mindset acquisition
Page 1 of 1