Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Jack Frost

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Heston

Jack Frost Empty
PostSubject: Jack Frost   Jack Frost EmptyFri Nov 28, 2008 11:01 pm

Ok guys,

So its 11pm on a Saturday for me and I've just got home after a nice walk along the beach to collect my thoughts. Whilst out I collected a thought I've not before collected ;-)

I walked back through the centre of town and passed a pub, at which point a couple of young blokes, similar age to me walked out. It suddenly dawned on me how fucking cold it is tonight and that its pretty much stopped my limbs from functioning!!! What the hell would I do if these guys wanted to kick off at me? I stand an even slimmer chance than usual of doing any damage, even if I did land a few strikes they'd likely be so slow they wouldn't really do the damage intended.

What are your guys thoughts on this stuff, dealing with the cold?

Heston
Back to top Go down
technics1210

technics1210

Jack Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Frost   Jack Frost EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 12:17 am

http://www.kateskates.co.uk/froogle_mens.html?x5=2147378617 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

Jack Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Frost   Jack Frost EmptySat Nov 29, 2008 6:20 am

Heston,
without knowing any more than what you told me. it makes me think from the personal perspective of being a bit cold in my extremities--maybe at times more than most. things that keep my blood circulating: spicey food and caffeine. things that return my confidence: extremity warmth: nice gloves; serious hat; warm shoes. perspective: they're probably cold too. walking faster makes you warm; idling about or sitting and pondering in the cold moonlight doesn't. also, maybe just me, but since my fist techniques have gradually been weened off, and replaced by palm stuff...i no longer have that
awkward feeling that if i can't make a fist that it will affect me psychologically. i'm thinking also about elbows, head control and moving someone back and putting them off balance. as i say, this maybe my interpretation of your dilema but i've been there before thinking, "crikey my hands are frozen stiff". this thought used to annoy me because i put alot of stock into hand skills. nowadays, if i feel a bit 1/2 turned on, i notice the thought of really plowing into someone and mandling them through headcontrol, elbows and palm stuff--especially the hook, puts me at ease because i have certain techniques that i do better than others and those are the ones i carry around in my head primarily to tilt the scales of comfort/confidence.

Richie's violence-mindset really helps too. there are moments that i'm not really noticing right away that a mild (sounds silly maybe but i'm serious) growl is gathering almost inaudibly in the back of my throat and gradually replacing everything else. as a humorous aside, my dogs notice it when i'm frustrated and run upstairs. believe it or not, i'm not actually advocating growling (i just wouldn't be able to keep a straight face)--i'm just trying to convey that cultivating a mindset that almost can draw on violence sometimes has a forgiving way of drowning out other lessor emotions like fear. almost as if one can easily be replaced and feed the other. i'm not sure but that's what it feels like, and the expression that translates that for me starts with said slow inward growl--not necessarily something that you or anyone else would relate to or try. in short, i'm attempting to convey the idea, rather than the technique which may be personal to me.

so for what it's worth: i'm saying dress warmly; think of things you do well and bring confidence; cultivate some kind of trigger to violence that you are able to turn on. other than that, i feel like thinking about it any more just is too much thought (personally). hopefully you'll have run through previously what you may do in a one on one; two on one; multiple on one. even if for a short road map that serves nothing more than to not have you at odds with the circumstances. my humble take anyway.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

Jack Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Frost   Jack Frost EmptySun Nov 30, 2008 6:52 pm

...i also do my padwork outside--all weather, for what it's worth. a secluded place (for me, my back yard) in rain, snow, whatever...sometimes if i know it'll be nothing more than padwork and coming back in i'll even wear a t-shirt. for me i doubt it's physically toughening my extremeties any more than the indoor stuff, i feel it's more of a psychological edge. i know it's possible to hit when i don't feel particularly comfortable. jab/cross;hooks; elbows. complaining neighbors, the whole bit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Heston

Jack Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Frost   Jack Frost EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 9:16 am

Good morning Chaps,

@ technics1210... nice! walking around in the dark wearing a hoodie certainly wouldn't provoke an attack from someone ;-)

@ Russell... excellent advice, I think it all makes very good sense. I'm very new to all this and havnt really any training at all but can certainly see the benefits of of using palm strikes, I mean, who wants broken hands anyway, right? ;-)

It seems that the more time I spend reading around the boards that the large majority of this stuff is phycological and whilst I'm sure the physical training and techniques are a keystone if they're not applied with the correct mind set then they wont do you a lot of good.

Cheers guys,

Heston
Back to top Go down
technics1210

technics1210

Jack Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Frost   Jack Frost EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 11:06 am

Heston wrote:
Good morning Chaps,

@ technics1210... nice! walking around in the dark wearing a hoodie certainly wouldn't provoke an attack from someone ;-)

Heston

Yes but that's not just any hoodie..... it's heated! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
markh

Jack Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Frost   Jack Frost EmptyMon Dec 01, 2008 3:09 pm

Hello guys,

The best thing to do is if you live in a climate where you must wear heavy winter clothes then go to a second hand store get a heavy coat that you don't care about damaging, pair of boots and find a partner or at least a heavy bag and practice. You'll soon learn what you can or can't do, what techniques are diminished by climate and clothes, and how climate changes terrain ( ie falling on your "butt" do to an icy patch on th street).

Second tip is "hoodies" diminish your peripheral vision unless you train to constantly scan from side to side.

Keep safe and train hard/smart, Mark H
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jack Frost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Frost   Jack Frost Empty

Back to top Go down

Jack Frost
Page 1 of 1