Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

drop everything and read this...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

drop everything and read this... Empty
PostSubject: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 4:34 pm

ok maybe not right now, if you've got an hour spare get comfy and read this Gary Spiers interview with Terry O'neill

http://www.cqbservices.com/?page_id=38
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyTue Nov 25, 2008 5:02 pm

...really cool. got about half way--okay a third, and had to get back to this
PE thingy that pays my rent...but what i saw/read, nice!! that's a dude i would have called 'Sir'.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 12:09 am

Just finished reading the piece. Well worth reading for those who are intimidated by the length of the article. Probably a good guy to model... He also talks about a lot of serious shit he's been in. Provoking the "does my training prepare me for this?" questions. Very interesting article.
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 2:31 am

Yeah, that was good afro
It's very cool to hear a guy, trained in old school martial arts who's spent a lifetime using it, for real. It's also nice to get confirmation about the validity of 'traditional' material, but the downfalls of 'incomplete' training, i.e. lack of fully resisting opponents, chaos, hard contact and pain!!
(Obviously) I particularly appreciated the "No, THIS is a knife" moment with the Katana. I've always thought a nice long sword would be a fabulous home, or in this case, night club defense weapon .......
Back to top Go down
chulodog

chulodog

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 10:59 am

in home better a gun. (shot gun)
in a club a stun gun electro shocker.

would be a scary doorman with a sword!! haha lol!
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 3:58 pm

for a dyslexic half-wit like me, this read was a right of passage--but it was really worth it. ignore my first response--i think i'd only gotten through about 1/8th of it on my first attempt.

i love his outlook/take on things...
hysterical that he may have eaten an ear--and the response, "i guess if he
wore glasses, he'd be using celotape on one side" or thereabouts. lol!

anyone know the circumstances to his death--natural or job-related?
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 6:21 pm

natural, he had been unwell for a while- wasnt really enjoying a high quality of life at the end unfortunately

he is a legend around brikenhead and liverpool, him and terry used to work doors for clubs run by a close family friend, very well liked, feared and respected man

by the time I was old enough to train with him he had stopped taking outside students and the closest I got was sparring with some of his boys in a squash court in birkenhead, good tough lads who could take it and dish it out- soon after that he passed away- still gutted I never got to train with him

great article that conveys alot if you can read between the lines
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
chulodog

chulodog

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 6:56 pm

died in his sleep heart attack.. finally wrestle me to the tekst... with ofcourse my dictionary/ lexion.. i dont know it any more lol!
why did the dutch give new york away for fckin surinam??? then you can sit with a dictiony behind your pc.. haha

but a real worrior type guy, nice story
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... EmptyThu Nov 27, 2008 3:48 am

amaizing man. thanks for the read. i was reading between the lines, above the lines, below the lines... all i have to say is
"where do i sign"

when i read for enjoyment, it takes me forever but all the images stay with me. i'm vividly there. that's what i mean. i took it
in and really went wherever my mind allowed me to go. i can see why you wanted to train with him. that's proper modeling
there.

cheers again
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: drop everything and read this...   drop everything and read this... Empty

Back to top Go down

drop everything and read this...
Page 1 of 1