Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dominance

Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. Empty
PostSubject: Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..   Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 5:37 am

Hi guys,
I wrote this a few weeks ago and have posted it other places.. maybe it will be helpful for you guys.. and also I hope for feedback and more discussion on the subject.. this is a combination of what i've learnt from different systems, and backed up by personal experience, and some of it is just my own observations..

Quote :
As we know in a MMA match the closing of distance is with physical tools mostly, by using some kind of strike or entry to close the gap and take to the ground.. but on the street the gap is closed more psychologically and verbally.. sometimes combined with something physical like a push. But mostly covered with the dialogue "what the f#@k you looking at" while covering the distance coming towards you..

Theres the concept of controlling the distance, which I believe in.. because the more distance you are away from them.. the more warning you get from an attack.. especially if they are armed (Luckily I haven't come across that).. and if they are covering the distance that you have created quickly when youre trying to deescalate.. then you can read their intent and know the attack is coming and have more time to react.. and at a certain distance I feel the 'physical' de-escalation stance/fence isn't always needed.. it can be psychological, like a line in the sand. But controlling the distance and keeping this distance isn't always the preferred tactic.. why?

Because the other concept is keeping them close because not many people know how to fight in the trapping range, and since the hand is quicker than the eye, you can throw preemptive strikes without them seeing them coming.. I also beleive in this.. how can I believe in both?.. Because it depends on the situation..

For example.. in my job.. most of the time I need to be up close.. because if the 'nice patron' gets out of hand I have to deal with it and physically drag him out of the venue.. and if i'm the one closing the distance with my dialogue and controlling the angles of approach and choke points on the body.. then i'm the one with the advantage if I need to preempt.. in this situation if I was keeping distance from him and he fired up throwing punches it would be more difficult to restrain him than if I was up close with my fence/preemptive stance and have approached him at an angle where he is at the disadvantage and I can quickly pull him off balance and deal with it..

So maybe this could be called "controlling your position".. the way you approach the person.. and where your backup approaches from to be the most efficient.. why would you form metres away be like "Sir, i'm going to have to ask you to leave" because the other thing is force presence.. which isn't as much of a consideration to them if your at a distance.. but face to face this can be used along with verbal tactics and everything else i've mentioned..

So that is so far what i've experienced is how the gap is closed in the street.. and that sometimes controlling the distance is needed and other times closing it and staying close..

Written By Ben Ross (Dominance)

-Ben
Back to top Go down
Loki
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..   Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. EmptyWed Feb 20, 2008 11:35 am

Just notice this, you are the Dominance in senshido forum right?
Back to top Go down
Dominance

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..   Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 4:23 am

Yeah thats me..

Seems that all the good reality based systems attract the same people.. i'm sure we will find others from different forums here.. whats your username on the Senshido forum?

Seems nobody wants to comment on my post though Razz

-Ben
Back to top Go down
Loki
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..   Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 4:46 am

I dont post on the senshido forum.

Enjoy reading it though
Back to top Go down
Dominance

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..   Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 5:18 am

Ok.. just recognized your name from somewhere.. I just realize it was from the Streetfightsecrets blog..

I'm sure we can make this forum just as good too Wink

-Ben
Back to top Go down
Carl Sagan

Carl Sagan

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..   Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. EmptySun Feb 24, 2008 11:23 pm

The fence is mainly psychological.
I only pulled off trapping a couple of times. I got both my hands grabbed and did a knee to the thigh and a headbutt. That was the first time.

Other time was a wedge when I thought I would tan sao, and went straight to a rear choke. Just the way it went.

I never would have seen a knife pulled from where we were at. People can be damn creative with secreting weapons upon their persons. Just a thought from a guy who got beat up from some 8 year old selling Girl Scout cookies.
Back to top Go down
Dominance

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..   Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. EmptyTue Feb 26, 2008 5:16 am

Carl Sagan wrote:
The fence is mainly psychological.
I only pulled off trapping a couple of times. I got both my hands grabbed and did a knee to the thigh and a headbutt. That was the first time.

Other time was a wedge when I thought I would tan sao, and went straight to a rear choke. Just the way it went.

I never would have seen a knife pulled from where we were at. People can be damn creative with secreting weapons upon their persons. Just a thought from a guy who got beat up from some 8 year old selling Girl Scout cookies.

I don't really do any traditional trapping.. when I speak of reference points I speak of something that an experienced fighter taught me that I haven't come across before.. basically different points of reference on the body that you can use while closing the gap and also refers to destroying balance.. I can't really express it properly through text..

But I understand what you mean about it being hard to do any kind of fancy stuff..

The point about weapons is a good one.. it is something that I will start thinking about and training now that I have a training partner..

Whats the girl scout thing you mention?

-Ben
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..   Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Controlling Distance And Closing The Gap..
Page 1 of 1