Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts

Go down 
+2
cocktail
Richard Grannon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts Empty
PostSubject: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 9:19 am

Quote :
Hi, have just watched new videos which were as excellent as ever but was wondering if it is cool to ask a few questions?
I was wondering if the throat can be crushed with a powerful hand strike to the throat as described by Mr Spour in SAS fight secrets or if such techniques are now ok to use as preemptive strike etc. and suitable to use in far lower threat scenarios?
My second question is in relation to the C-grip choke from the cage to street DVD. I understand it is relatively easy to choke someone from the front using two hands and applying pressure upon the trecea with the thumbs to close the windpipe (cant imagine how much of a nut job you probably think I am from reading this but am honestly not, u have may facebook profile if you would like to double check LOL).
Was wondering if the C-grip has the same effect and can be used to create a knockout through prolonged application (or, if kept on, death) or weather it is simply an uncomfortable hold?

I understand you used it on a guy and were able to close your fingers around the back of his throat once and he still would not yield, if held on for say 30-40 seconds have rendered him unconscious? Would usually try such a technique on my sparring partner but every am concerned about damaging the small rings of cartilage which surround the throat which I know sounds really stupid.

Was also wondering if a knife and baton DVD was going to be made. I am by no means asking this as a means to learn how to use a knife and be another thug to carry a bladed weapon as would never do such a thing but rather as a means to understand the various types of knife attacks in order of being capable of defending from them.

I have been doing karate for nearly 10 years and my instructor is an retired old school bouncer from Birmingham and found many of his principles to be the same as yours and Mr Spour (palm heals to the face, learn only a few techniques with you can deliver with great power) and was wondering whether it is old school type principled like these which made the martial arts originally so effective a la Edo period Japan and is only their westernization as more of a sport which has made them a bit of a joke and as ineffective system due to the huge number of bad school that there are now.
Sorry this is such a long message,
Many Thanks,
G.D.

some good questions which I will get into later... in the meantime, any thoughts guys?
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
cocktail

cocktail

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm

I will throw in my two cents on your first question and let the others here go for the rest ;-) .....plus i dont even want to start on your last question lol

Quote :
I was wondering if the throat can be crushed with a powerful hand strike

Well in theory no.....but again it all depends on where you strike the throat......actually, i believe rich did a short video on this, check out his youtube videos, its there somewhere :-) ........people have many beliefs about the throat and how its a very dangerous target to strike....yes it CAN be, again, depending on the force and target selection.......also keep in mind everyone's bodies work differently.....a strike to one persons throat may just cause him to step back and gasp for air, while doing that same strike to another may cause severe trauma to the person's throat and cause swelling.....this swelling could very well close the throat and suffocate the person.....now you could be in a world of shit.......the thing is to know when, where, and how hard to strike your "opponent"........most of the time, walking away is always best.....but say someone pushes you in a simple argument and you just bust out a shot to his throat???, ummm not advisable rabbit
Cool
Back to top Go down
daringdoer

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 7:45 pm

Like Richie demoed on his ninja chop vid, a throat strike would most probably cause a an automatic gag reflex for air and psychological panic and predator to prey switch,since its structure makes throat quite resiliant!

check out this alive scenario where due to(Tony) BG's role playing, GZF playing GG shot off his strikes ,including a forearm to throat, with more power than he inteneded due to adrenal dump....No permanent damage to TP(training partner) playing BG : Strikes used were:

Quote :
Victor, you're right bro; actually, I was telling him that my money is in my pocket, which allowed me to turn towards him. What I didn't like is that for a second or so, I was still under the muzzle of the gun, but then again, Akira couldn't shoot me, which is good Very Happy

I almost killed Tony in this scenario, much to my chagrin. If you slow motion it, the physical goes as follows:

1- Gun grab and twist
2- Face smash followed by a rake
3- Chin jab followed by a forearm strike to the throat
4- Short elbow to the spine followed by a shorter elbow to the left kidney
5- Shoving his head down toward the other car (Damn it I missed banging his head on the other vehicle)

Poor Anthony, he almost died: the face smashed almost KOed him, the throat strike left him without air a 2 seconds, and his finger was almost broken, although it was indexed

Carjacking scenario
http://senshido.savi.ca/viewtopic.php?p=52729#52729

feedback, critques are welcome,George's head is fat enuff as is
Basketball
W

Last edited by daringdoer on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cocktail

cocktail

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:02 pm

no trying to sound harsh in any way here. But, i didnt see any really good technique in that scenario. Most likely there wouldve been a discharge in that situation. I understand that things like this are dynamic and everything changes each and every scenario, but the skills shown in that clip just arent feasible. Also his "attacker" was not determined what-so-ever.
Back to top Go down
VictorS

VictorS

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:41 pm

cocktail wrote:
But, i didnt see any really good technique in that scenario.

Let's see...

He feigned compliance (good psychological tactic) which allowed him to reposition himself into a better vantage point.
He redirected the line of fire (primary danger) - if there was a discharge (attacker did not have finger on the trigger) he would have been safe - at least for the first round, and, at nearly the same time, he clawed the attackers face;followed by a palm strike; then throat jab with a web-hand; took the attackers gun and got the fuck out of dodge "running like a constapated penguin" (Gerorges words, not mine - LOL)

If you listen closely, the attacker is gagging while Georges is running.

Fuck technique - to quote the great Tony Blauer "Everything works at least once."

Based on that specific scenario in the video and under those circumstances he survived.
Back to top Go down
daringdoer

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 8:53 pm

WORD Victor ! Real Actual SP situation Looks sloppy, ulgy and chaotic as hell. Not beautiful flowing stuff like in Steven Seagal movie..So should not Effective RBSD scenarios look as chaotic, hard to spot unless in slow mo, and brutal as in actual CCTV footage?

I thouht that it was only a webhand strike to the throat , not a shred combo and slamming perp's head into something hard:
1- Gun grab and twist
2- Face smash followed by a rake
3- Chin jab followed by a forearm strike to the throat
4- Short elbow to the spine followed by a shorter elbow to the left kidney
5- Shoving his head down toward the other car (Damn it I missed banging his head on the other vehicle)

Maybe I should download it so slowmotion viewing is possible...GG did Clear, Control and Counter, however sloppy it looked like Victor said
...cocktail, no disprespect man, but out of curiosity, what moves would u have busted given the context? Question asked out of RBSD info sharing

W
Back to top Go down
VictorS

VictorS

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 9:10 pm

We have to keep in mind that it is a demo. There's no way one can use full force during a scenario - without wearing protection. Even then, there's risk of injury.

Last edited by VictorS on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
cocktail

cocktail

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyWed Jul 16, 2008 9:10 pm

This is going to be a great discussion. Again I mean no dis-respect to anyone. Just sharing my thoughts to get the topic going :-) ......if possible, instead of slowing down the video, why not do another using full gear and really go force on force......and really make sure your "attacker" is DETERMINED......this is the biggest downfall in training now a days.....the person doing the attacking isnt 100% which makes the flow of movement much easier looking......a strike to someones throat MIGHT slow down your attacker, but not ALL attackers.......i dont suggest beating the shit out of your training partners, but there needs to be a large amount of force used to make RBSD actually REALITY.......also the control of the weapon was not really control per say......yes he had control of the weapon by getting it off target line, but never controlled the "weapon bearing limb".......also the weapon was pointed in many directions flying all about and could have harmed another in the process, which might lead to civil suits.......i am a huge follower of Tony Blauer. In fact, I am attending another one of his SPEAR courses next week in syracuse........and yes some things might always work once, but is it your time for that once????? :-)
Back to top Go down
GZF

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 8:50 am

Hello guys!

Wow, thanks a lot of the comment, I didn't think for a second that my vid would be so controversial Very Happy

Ok, first a small introduction about myself: 27 years old Lebanese male, Senshido affiliate instructor for the Middle East since December 2006 (Oh Happy Day! LOL!). I have experience but no official rank in Muay Thai, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, and Mixed Martial Arts. I also have an extensive library on Martial Arts/ Combat Sports/ Personal Protection and RBSD (But alas! No Rich Grannon material Smile will try to remedy that soon Wink )

First, a few words regarding our (Senshido's) training methodology: We do scenario training in which the Bad Guy and Good Guys go full speed, full power, and with intent to replicate reality, only using Plexiglas helmets and groin protectors to reduce the "unreal" factor, prevent injuries (I always say "pain is a good teacher, but injury is a bad friend" having had my share of the former, much to my chagrin).

Some additional details about the carjacking scenario I did for Future TV:

1- We decided against the helmets because I didn't have any on me at the time and wanted to make it look as realistic as possible.
2- The gun is an airsoft gun, loaded with the 6mm BB pellets; these hurt but dont injure. unless you get one in your eye. The parking was the TV station's and care was taken to inform security and passerbys to stay at a safe distance in case a discharge occured
3- Neither of us was using any groin protectors (Stupid idea I know)

Before starting, I would like to thank Rich (Grannon) for this wonderful forum, which I should frequent more (and will) despite having time constraints. Another thank you is to Cocktail, who was kind enough started this discussion (no disrespect taken bro), and for the rest of you guys (VictorS and daringdoer) for their input.

Now, Anthony (my younger cousin), was instructed to shoot or bash my head in full speed full power at any opportunity (and believe me, he loves to do that, something about me shooting him in the ass with a powerful airsoft before the scenario to "motivate" his bad guyness Haha!) and would have if he could.

The following link will allow you download the video in .wmv format, to play on your computer in slow motion: www.senshido.net/Carjacking_Scenario_G_VS_Akira.wmv (right click and save as)

True, I made mistakes; the muzzle was pointed at my face and body for maybe a second or two, which would have resulted in my death HAD HE SHOT. Thank Goodness he didn't, or maybe couldn't, as I twisted it with a death grip using two hands, then went ballistic on him.

Regarding techniques, and I may disagree with others' approach here, is that techniques are incidental in a life or death situation: Tools, tactics, and concepts work better for me than specific moves. From my experience (and no disrespect meant to anyone thinking differently), concepts and tools take less time to learn and are easier to apply.

For example: Face smash followed by a web hand followed by a shove is a technical application (First A then B then C, ... approach), whereas a web hand, a face smash, a shove, taken independently, are tools. Personally, I prefer to use a few tools and shift to other depending on the bad guy's reaction, than have a preconceived idea of "what to do after this move". The Japanese call this "Mushin" or no mind, being free from constraints and doing what needs to be done. This is what the shredder is, tools that are linked together like a musical note, moving from one to another, etc.

I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse or stirring a controversy, but this tools VS technique nuance had to be explained for the readers to understand why I did what I did. Maybe it's semantics and techniques = tools to many of you

Ok, back to the topic at hand:

First thing, I didnt turn around a do anything at first because I didnt know if the weapon at my back was a gun or a knife. Then, I said that I had money in my pocket (the one close to the weapon) to be able to rotate naturally towards the danger, ascertain it, and develop a response. Being passive also dropped his guard and raised his ego somehow.

Regarding the physical part, first notice that my cousin is left handed, which is very annoying: Most people train weapon defense against a right handed guy because 85% of the population is right handed. Sadly, sometimes shit happens and we're dealing with a lefty, which is a pattern interrupt to the good guy (It was to me when I started training with my cousin, as he used his left jab to KO me haha good days Very Happy ). Second, is the size difference: Usually, I have little problem webhanding or face smashing an opponent. in this case, I had to modify my tools a little, under pressure.

Tony later told me that the face smash (50-60% of my full power) almost KOed him, and cranked his neck, as I got him at an angle and twisted him towards the gun. Although he indexed it, which a criminal may or may not do, he tried to shoot me at one point, which is when I had twisted the guy and face smashed him. The rake may have been useless but allowed me to setup my webhand/ forearm smash, which almost killed him (I used maybe 15-20% full power here, and he couldnt breathe well for 2 minutes after the scenario and was uncomfortable swallowing for a few hours as well).

The torquing almost broke his finger, and the elbow to the spine and kidneys bent him over. I tried to smash his face on the other car's hood but lacked power to do it with one hand, so I ran. I didnt want to tap-rack-point the gun here because I was too close and didnt know if he had a knife or was still combative.

So, mistakes were made but I go out of it alive. I now know that I should have cleared my body away from the muzzle but technically, I think it was hard as I was trapped between the two cars.

I personally didn't remember the tools used in the scenario and had to rewatch the vid to know what I did.

The gun was pointing in four main directions: briefly towards me, to my right towards my car with a downward angle, to the sky, and a bit to my right, but the last one was not dangerous to onlookers as the gun was almost ripped off his hands.

Regarding danger to potential witnesses, true, it's a risk, and that's why I do my best to have it go off either towards the ground or the sky. But then again, I am first concerned about my safety, then about that of potential onlookers. Good point cocktail, I owe you one as I didnt pay much attention to that mistake Very Happy

I hope this helps clear out some misunderstanding!
Back to top Go down
http://www.senshido.net
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 10:24 am

the attributes of surprise aggression speed plus simple technique that focuses on attacking the head/jaw/face/throat

looks chaotic and aggressive... bit like how scrapping really is when it properly goes off, looks good to me lar pirat
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
GZF

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyThu Jul 17, 2008 10:36 am

Thanks a lot bro!

I'm posting it under SenshidoNET as well so other subscribers can see it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.senshido.net
muchtolearn

muchtolearn

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 4:50 am

George wrote
Quote :
I didnt want to tap-rack-point the gun here because I was too close and didnt know if he had a knife or was still combative.
It's so easy to armchair QB GZF, but u might've muzzlepunched the perp in the face...Metal is no match for soft...silky...hot...flesh...mmm

GZF wrote
Quote :
We do scenario training in which the Bad Guy and Good Guys go full speed, full power, and with intent to replicate reality, only using Plexiglas helmets and groin protectors to reduce the "unreal" factor, prevent injuries (I always say "pain is a good teacher, but injury is a bad friend" having had my share of the former, much to my chagrin).

Not All the time, especially at the beginning phases where they are just learning the concepts.....Hmmm, I must post my nyc training/study group partner contact when time permits but here are what typical the NYC training /Study Group alive Isolation Drills ,and scenarios where all the skills learned were put together looked it..regardless of what the training partner's style was..BG's role was to fuck up GG TP til BG determined that if in real life the barrage he took would have put him down.
RBSD training clips are from CliveG Senshido affiliate in Australia who has a strong background in mma, Geoff Thompson, Peter Constadine,Lee Morrison.

Knife Def and Premptive Strike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJflGdLkw0

Realistic Knife Scenarios Sans HeadGear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY_6nQT89vQ

Realistic Knife Training With HeadGear Full Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQfgwuOAxo

Note that these clips are from 2 years ago and salute to Clive for his metacommunications ability to organize and maintain such a large training partner group for so long!

Range Rover Drill at Senshido HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxhMqDb16c

Montage of Training Drills:Concealed Knife in Clinch Drill, Default Cover Drill etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt1CiyTYALY&feature=related

Anyone in NYC area interested partnering up for training in this alive non consentual format please pm me!
Sincerely
Warren
Back to top Go down
cocktail

cocktail

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 4:31 pm

GZF wrote:
Hello guys!

Wow, thanks a lot of the comment, I didn't think for a second that my vid would be so controversial Very Happy

Ok, first a small introduction about myself: 27 years old Lebanese male, Senshido affiliate instructor for the Middle East since December 2006 (Oh Happy Day! LOL!). I have experience but no official rank in Muay Thai, Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu, and Mixed Martial Arts. I also have an extensive library on Martial Arts/ Combat Sports/ Personal Protection and RBSD (But alas! No Rich Grannon material Smile will try to remedy that soon Wink )

First, a few words regarding our (Senshido's) training methodology: We do scenario training in which the Bad Guy and Good Guys go full speed, full power, and with intent to replicate reality, only using Plexiglas helmets and groin protectors to reduce the "unreal" factor, prevent injuries (I always say "pain is a good teacher, but injury is a bad friend" having had my share of the former, much to my chagrin).

Some additional details about the carjacking scenario I did for Future TV:

1- We decided against the helmets because I didn't have any on me at the time and wanted to make it look as realistic as possible.
2- The gun is an airsoft gun, loaded with the 6mm BB pellets; these hurt but dont injure. unless you get one in your eye. The parking was the TV station's and care was taken to inform security and passerbys to stay at a safe distance in case a discharge occured
3- Neither of us was using any groin protectors (Stupid idea I know)

Before starting, I would like to thank Rich (Grannon) for this wonderful forum, which I should frequent more (and will) despite having time constraints. Another thank you is to Cocktail, who was kind enough started this discussion (no disrespect taken bro), and for the rest of you guys (VictorS and daringdoer) for their input.

Now, Anthony (my younger cousin), was instructed to shoot or bash my head in full speed full power at any opportunity (and believe me, he loves to do that, something about me shooting him in the ass with a powerful airsoft before the scenario to "motivate" his bad guyness Haha!) and would have if he could.

The following link will allow you download the video in .wmv format, to play on your computer in slow motion: www.senshido.net/Carjacking_Scenario_G_VS_Akira.wmv (right click and save as)

True, I made mistakes; the muzzle was pointed at my face and body for maybe a second or two, which would have resulted in my death HAD HE SHOT. Thank Goodness he didn't, or maybe couldn't, as I twisted it with a death grip using two hands, then went ballistic on him.

Regarding techniques, and I may disagree with others' approach here, is that techniques are incidental in a life or death situation: Tools, tactics, and concepts work better for me than specific moves. From my experience (and no disrespect meant to anyone thinking differently), concepts and tools take less time to learn and are easier to apply.

For example: Face smash followed by a web hand followed by a shove is a technical application (First A then B then C, ... approach), whereas a web hand, a face smash, a shove, taken independently, are tools. Personally, I prefer to use a few tools and shift to other depending on the bad guy's reaction, than have a preconceived idea of "what to do after this move". The Japanese call this "Mushin" or no mind, being free from constraints and doing what needs to be done. This is what the shredder is, tools that are linked together like a musical note, moving from one to another, etc.

I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse or stirring a controversy, but this tools VS technique nuance had to be explained for the readers to understand why I did what I did. Maybe it's semantics and techniques = tools to many of you

Ok, back to the topic at hand:

First thing, I didnt turn around a do anything at first because I didnt know if the weapon at my back was a gun or a knife. Then, I said that I had money in my pocket (the one close to the weapon) to be able to rotate naturally towards the danger, ascertain it, and develop a response. Being passive also dropped his guard and raised his ego somehow.

Regarding the physical part, first notice that my cousin is left handed, which is very annoying: Most people train weapon defense against a right handed guy because 85% of the population is right handed. Sadly, sometimes shit happens and we're dealing with a lefty, which is a pattern interrupt to the good guy (It was to me when I started training with my cousin, as he used his left jab to KO me haha good days Very Happy ). Second, is the size difference: Usually, I have little problem webhanding or face smashing an opponent. in this case, I had to modify my tools a little, under pressure.

Tony later told me that the face smash (50-60% of my full power) almost KOed him, and cranked his neck, as I got him at an angle and twisted him towards the gun. Although he indexed it, which a criminal may or may not do, he tried to shoot me at one point, which is when I had twisted the guy and face smashed him. The rake may have been useless but allowed me to setup my webhand/ forearm smash, which almost killed him (I used maybe 15-20% full power here, and he couldnt breathe well for 2 minutes after the scenario and was uncomfortable swallowing for a few hours as well).

The torquing almost broke his finger, and the elbow to the spine and kidneys bent him over. I tried to smash his face on the other car's hood but lacked power to do it with one hand, so I ran. I didnt want to tap-rack-point the gun here because I was too close and didnt know if he had a knife or was still combative.

So, mistakes were made but I go out of it alive. I now know that I should have cleared my body away from the muzzle but technically, I think it was hard as I was trapped between the two cars.

I personally didn't remember the tools used in the scenario and had to rewatch the vid to know what I did.

The gun was pointing in four main directions: briefly towards me, to my right towards my car with a downward angle, to the sky, and a bit to my right, but the last one was not dangerous to onlookers as the gun was almost ripped off his hands.

Regarding danger to potential witnesses, true, it's a risk, and that's why I do my best to have it go off either towards the ground or the sky. But then again, I am first concerned about my safety, then about that of potential onlookers. Good point cocktail, I owe you one as I didnt pay much attention to that mistake Very Happy

I hope this helps clear out some misunderstanding!
Hey GZF, Thanks for the insightful post......its always great to post and chat with others in the field and helps build everyone's skills at the same time :-) It always good to have many points of views but all many points of interest in order to better what we all teach. I look forward to chatting on here more with you. Keep up the good work.!
Back to top Go down
cocktail

cocktail

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptySat Jul 19, 2008 4:41 pm

muchtolearn wrote:
George wrote
Quote :
I didnt want to tap-rack-point the gun here because I was too close and didnt know if he had a knife or was still combative.
It's so easy to armchair QB GZF, but u might've muzzlepunched the perp in the face...Metal is no match for soft...silky...hot...flesh...mmm

GZF wrote
Quote :
We do scenario training in which the Bad Guy and Good Guys go full speed, full power, and with intent to replicate reality, only using Plexiglas helmets and groin protectors to reduce the "unreal" factor, prevent injuries (I always say "pain is a good teacher, but injury is a bad friend" having had my share of the former, much to my chagrin).

Not All the time, especially at the beginning phases where they are just learning the concepts.....Hmmm, I must post my nyc training/study group partner contact when time permits but here are what typical the NYC training /Study Group alive Isolation Drills ,and scenarios where all the skills learned were put together looked it..regardless of what the training partner's style was..BG's role was to fuck up GG TP til BG determined that if in real life the barrage he took would have put him down.
RBSD training clips are from CliveG Senshido affiliate in Australia who has a strong background in mma, Geoff Thompson, Peter Constadine,Lee Morrison.

Knife Def and Premptive Strike
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxJflGdLkw0

Realistic Knife Scenarios Sans HeadGear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY_6nQT89vQ

Realistic Knife Training With HeadGear Full Out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQfgwuOAxo

Note that these clips are from 2 years ago and salute to Clive for his metacommunications ability to organize and maintain such a large training partner group for so long!

Range Rover Drill at Senshido HQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZxhMqDb16c

Montage of Training Drills:Concealed Knife in Clinch Drill, Default Cover Drill etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jt1CiyTYALY&feature=related

Anyone in NYC area interested partnering up for training in this alive non consentual format please pm me!
Sincerely
Warren
Warren, Great videos here! BUT i always pick hahahah.......i love how there is full contact(well kind of) and it really makes things come alive.....this is exactly how i train my students and it really does work wonderfully......but my concern in these videos, especially number 3 is i dont see much preemptive striking.....i see a lot of hesitation and more trying to defuse the situation.....granted, that is always great, but you never let someone touch you......im many of those short clips there was too much pushing and shoving and the attacker always struck first........but the last video is freakin awesome!!!! great work there......this is EXACTLY how i train some drills....especially the off balance attack after spinning......this really opens the students eyes.......all in all some great training in those videos.......keep it up Wink

btw warren, i am located in upstate NY, rochester, buffalo, syracuse region......maybe we could meet up sometime for a nice day of hardcore training :-)
Back to top Go down
muchtolearn

muchtolearn

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts EmptyMon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 am

Coctail wrote
Quote :
btw warren, i am located in upstate NY, rochester, buffalo, syracuse region......maybe we could meet up sometime for a nice day of hardcore training :-)

I'm looking forward to it cocktail...Upstate must be beautiful this time of year...I'll come up over the weekend this year so we can do some training and headshed info...I used to train with a Rick Sikkora, an associate and student of T.Blauer back in the day...Mr. Blauer would crash at Mr. Sikkora's whenever he came over for a nyc semi...around the time the SPEAR system was being developed..Love to compare and contrast Senshido and Spear with u Cocktail.

Quote :
.i love how there is full contact(well kind of) and it really makes things come alive..
Yeah, just possibility of hard contact, along with harsh dialogue delivered in realistic force on force sims changes the student's responses Cool. I hear u and Victor on the "Full contact" ...I've trained with HIgear, senshido headgear, Fist and had LE buds who trained with Red Man and Blue Max suits, one can't really go full out bc of the whiplash to the neck..The Bulletman suits at RMCAT and the MM,BAMM franchises are the only suits that along full power strikes due to the headgear anchoring to the body ,protectiong the neck, but that giant head negates neck/throat strikes and head control stuff....better than no contact training.

Quote :
this is exactly how i train my students and it really does work wonderfully.
Yeah, Rich Dimitri always credits T.Blauer as his greatest influence in Real World functional combatives preparation...guess Rich D. passed on this philosophy of training for PP and HTHC to his students :wink: ?

Quote :
.but my concern in these videos, especially number 3 is i dont see much preemptive striking.....i see a lot of hesitation and more trying to defuse the situation.....granted, that is always great, but you never let someone touch you......im many of those short clips there was too much pushing and shoving and the attacker always struck first.

Yeah, not to mention too much "knife wrestling", instead of counterattacking ASAP...but the clips are 2 years old and the students are newbies and determining when to keep on defusing and when to first strike in a full out scenario with full gear and the A dump ...it's better to get killed in the training than in the streets Basketball

Quote :
.but the last video is freakin awesome!!!! great work there......this is EXACTLY how i train some drills....especially the off balance attack after spinning......this really opens the students eyes...
Yeah,sometimes I drink a couple of wine coolers, and have my students drink some vodka ( like they do at Senshido HQ too besides the spinning around and immediately get attacked....since I take Rich Dimtri's philosophy that RBSD is COUNTERAMBUSH for cillivians if u dig cocktail...also, I instruct my students to carry training blades, at any time if they or I feel like it, we deploy and start pumping and slashing anyone we want and it is up to that designed defender to negate the attack..Don't care if I'm sawing off his head and he' "dead" ,he still has to keep on fighting til he negates the attack..in that way, he experiences Success cocktail)
CliveG posted that vid these last few months...He must be an amazing communicator to keep and maintain such a large Aussie training partner study group for 2 plus year and going! I'll ask him to post vid of his students in full gear with dialogue in that Counterknife scenario vid again Cocktail..See how his guys have improved with all the alive isolation drills...the different pieces of the functional Combative puzzle then put together in full gear force on Force Scenarios.

later man,
....Is Rochester a college town btw?
W
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts   throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts Empty

Back to top Go down

throat attacks, knife and baton, traditional martial arts
Page 1 of 1