Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

grip strength in relation to biceps strength

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
cozz25

cozz25

grip strength in relation to biceps strength Empty
PostSubject: grip strength in relation to biceps strength   grip strength in relation to biceps strength EmptyFri May 07, 2010 12:47 am

would strengthening grip increase the strength in a persons biceps?? example: instead of doing biceps exercises can a person just do hand grips?? reason why i ask is because lately i have been just doing hand grips and my biceps have been getting stronger, could be because i gave biceps a layoff from training for a while (3 weeks) , but im curious.. i have tried looking online for info and cant really find the answer im looking for, basically i wanna substitute biceps curls with hand grips, can i do this without losing strength in my biceps? reason why i wanna do this is because im currently traveling a lot for my job and cannot carry around heavy ass dumbbells with me so i carry hand grips, any opinions???
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: grip strength in relation to biceps strength   grip strength in relation to biceps strength EmptyFri May 07, 2010 1:39 am

a suggestion would be to do chin ups--always a poll about [scaffolding,etc...]. carrying heavy
luggage whilst traveling, could be good. biceps get alot from lugging--like grunt work on manual
labor. hand grips alone, i'd think you'll feel strength where it's best to feel it...at the ends of your
arms [the usual weak link in the average muscle bound bloke and the reason i stopped lifting as
much...desire heavy handedness over powerful guns/biceps].

in my humble opinion--to surmize: chin ups [palm toward face]--if you wish to feel that arm
strength thing, otherwise you will lose strength but not so it's a detriment to fighting, if you
ask me.

when i travel, i find something to slap [not kidding]; open handed hitting can be possible in many
places--from the corner of two adjoining walls; to a wooden squared pole [pillar]; to a tree...my
hand and arm strength feels like it's a working practical strength, and my fore arms and hand
strength slowly increases steadily over time. possibly not what you're looking for, but there it is.

good luck and safe travels
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: grip strength in relation to biceps strength   grip strength in relation to biceps strength EmptyFri May 07, 2010 11:24 pm

no cozmo hand grips cant replace bicep curls to maintain biceps

the reason your bicep lift went up when you strengthened your hands is because bicep work is highly dependent on wrist forearm and hand strength...

coz like if you think about... your stickin your forearms wrists and hands out and away from your body and then stickin a load of weight on them, its a lot of pressure to exert there

so if you want to increase the weight of your bicep curl (an exercise that exerts pressure on BOTH biceps and w/h/f ) you should seek to increase wrist/hand/forearm strength (which are supporting the movement)

but the inverse is NOT true

i.e. just increasing the strength of wrists and hands won't increase actual bicep strength only lifting capacity

if your travelling dont worry too much about it, as long as your hitting your biceps a good session once every 10 days you can and will still grow
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
cozz25

cozz25

PostSubject: Re: grip strength in relation to biceps strength   grip strength in relation to biceps strength EmptyFri May 07, 2010 11:54 pm

ok awesome sounds good!! thanx for the info guys, very much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: grip strength in relation to biceps strength   grip strength in relation to biceps strength Empty

Back to top Go down

grip strength in relation to biceps strength
Page 1 of 1