Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Advice on personal safety to students

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Curran

Advice on personal safety to students Empty
PostSubject: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 pm

Guys,

I have been asked to give a short lecture on personal safety and self defense for a bunch of students at
the university. Apart from covering awareness and avoidance. What else would you cover when it comes to safety on campus ? a night out ? going out and about your business in London ?. What about techniques ? I think the fence would be somthing that is mandatory to know and at least one pre emptive stike.

Unfortunately as i only have an hour and a bit so i am going to have to condense things as much as possible. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curran
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 12:26 pm

i am not a teacher, this is just my tuppence.

Exactly what you said, awareness & avoidance.

For techniques from the fence, I would suggest the superman (Double palm, hands together, head tucked in, targetting the head like a push/strike, resembles superman on takeoff) or single palm ( then stamping on them on the floor if they are still a threat & fall over) & running away.

But mainly the first two.

Wiser minds than mine will comment.
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Maybe you could add some de-escalation techniques like how NOT to talk to to people in those situations like avoiding commands like "teke it easy, chiil out, whats your problem?" those type of things, as well and a point I always make "if you dont really have to stay and get into an interaction with somebody, then dont." be polite but move along quickly.Thats my two cents, soon you will have a dollar!
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyTue Nov 03, 2009 11:43 pm

Blakops wrote:

For techniques from the fence, I would suggest the superman (Double palm, hands together, head tucked in, targetting the head like a push/strike.
really good technique...didn't know it had the monikar superman, i've just been enjoying
the benefits of the piking version of this--lifting the head up and off line as i, erm, fly in like superman with my arms partially
bent and protective as a combined block/strike/guard. adapted from Richie's GCR. also giving directives that remove the grey and are embarassing--such as: don't follow me; don't touch me.

and as Matt--Blakops said, you can keep one hand out and nail with the other if you haven't started running.
you can stomp or kick once really hard before running as a disinsentive--whilst the cobwebs clear and the person makes their getaway.

hay Curran,
let us know your finished product and i'll be drawing from it--something similar happening for me this thursday with some foreign adult students who go through alot of muggings, etc...limited language and older crowd.

good luck BTW
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Curran

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 9:02 am

Thankyou for your input gentlemen.

Danite excellent point on verbal descalation somthing which is either never taught or completey misunderstood.

Russ i am lecturing the students next wednesday will send you a blue print of what i covered with them.

Thanks,

Curran
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 1:00 pm

Danite, excellent points. to which I would add for female/male assault address the issues realisticly & make a lot of noise. Predators dont like attention.

This thread is worth reading. Not my comments but the article.

https://streetfightsecrets.darkbb.com/general-f3/condition-black-assault-in-progress-t1292.htm

Rus, its a krav technique (I'm only saying that because I have never seen it in any other style on youtube, but lots of krav vids) It was the first strike I learnt in training. Exactly what you said, its a combination of cover, block, strike , really powerful.

Now I am thinking about it, did we have something similar in Kung-fu? Probably. Some double palm strike, body mechanics would have been different, you'd probably have to have kept your head up for form. (& probably eat a punch as a result)

Didnt know that Ritchie utilized it, got good taste, that lad.

Just drive through & keep hitting, like everything.

Curran, will be very interesting to hear what you do. Good luck with the curriculum.
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyWed Nov 04, 2009 2:13 pm

Curran have a good class!

Russ, I like that entry too,it really fouls up the attacker and sets up a good mauling attack doesnt?

Black Ops,good advice!
Back to top Go down
Curran

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Russ,

The talk went well I covered the following,

1. Awareness and avoidance - body language, how to walk confidently and not look like a soft target

Covered other stuff like not playing music too loud on your headphones, whilst texting messages how to hold the phone correctly and how not too, facial expressions, how to park yourself when sitting in restaurants, where to place your bag.

2. The fence - protecting personal space

3. Taught them one technique a slap (70% of the class were females they seem to love this)

Covered alittle on safe travel when getting home at night, rape alarms and their effectiveness, using a book and a rolled up magazine as a weapon (they are students so carrying books and magazines across campus is a big thing)

Russ the Muss wrote:
Blakops wrote:

For techniques from the fence, I would suggest the superman (Double palm, hands together, head tucked in, targetting the head like a push/strike.
really good technique...didn't know it had the monikar superman, i've just been enjoying
the benefits of the piking version of this--lifting the head up and off line as i, erm, fly in like superman with my arms partially
bent and protective as a combined block/strike/guard. adapted from Richie's GCR. also giving directives that remove the grey and are embarassing--such as: don't follow me; don't touch me.

and as Matt--Blakops said, you can keep one hand out and nail with the other if you haven't started running.
you can stomp or kick once really hard before running as a disinsentive--whilst the cobwebs clear and the person makes their getaway.

hay Curran,
let us know your finished product and i'll be drawing from it--something similar happening for me this thursday with some foreign adult students who go through alot of muggings, etc...limited language and older crowd.

good luck BTW
Back to top Go down
Mike2010

Mike2010

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students EmptyWed Nov 11, 2009 1:33 pm

Most importantly: 'Don't dress like a student' Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advice on personal safety to students   Advice on personal safety to students Empty

Back to top Go down

Advice on personal safety to students
Page 1 of 1