Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!

Go down 
+6
roadkill
technics1210
darktim99
BXC8
Richard Grannon
Sharif H
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Sharif H

'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! Empty
PostSubject: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 4:21 pm

A great example of why training to be pre-emptive is so important. And also the importance of the fence...

Back to top Go down
http://www.tactical-protection.com
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 4:33 pm

instructive clip
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
BXC8

BXC8

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 8:01 pm

I like.

This message should have preceded it

Warning:The following people were harmed in the making of this video due to the fact they were either Loudmouths who didnt know who they were dealing with,Over-assuming in there fighting skill level,Idiots who had no idea or awareness of the threat and people who had to much alcohol and/or trust in what a friend could and could not do.It is advisable that people keep there mental and physical guard up at all times due to hostile nature of foe,unpredictability of so called 'friends' and/or ability to guage skill level of an opponent.
Back to top Go down
Sharif H

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 9:49 pm

BXC8 wrote:
I like.

This message should have preceded it

Warning:The following people were harmed in the making of this video due to the fact they were either Loudmouths who didnt know who they were dealing with,Over-assuming in there fighting skill level,Idiots who had no idea or awareness of the threat and people who had to much alcohol and/or trust in what a friend could and could not do.It is advisable that people keep there mental and physical guard up at all times due to hostile nature of foe,unpredictability of so called 'friends' and/or ability to guage skill level of an opponent.

You forgot.... "Don't try this at home"

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
darktim99

darktim99

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 12:03 am

LOL mint clips! i like to either odopt a loose boxers guard or a "tri-angle" type bloke. but alternate it. bit similar to what shrif did on his promo vid when went trough blokcking the punches and then getting to clinch range.

what bout you guys?
Back to top Go down
technics1210

technics1210

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 8:40 am

Has anyone used blocks in the street to any great effect?
Back to top Go down
Sharif H

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 am

technics1210 wrote:

I shook my magic 8-ball to predict the answers to this question. It said: "Not fucking likely"
Back to top Go down
technics1210

technics1210

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 12:01 pm

Sharif H wrote:
technics1210 wrote:

I shook my magic 8-ball to predict the answers to this question. It said: "Not fucking likely"

lol, does it say anything about my coming into vast sums of money?
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 1:03 pm

technics1210 wrote:

Yup, On a number of occasions... Not like I planned to block, just happened as the attack came in. Thank god for flinch response.
Back to top Go down
D.M.B.

D.M.B.

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 2:00 pm

Nice clip lol good times afro

I haven't had the chance to 'attempt' a block in a violent situation since i started training... about 18 months in now I think. I think I can partially attribute that to having a good fence and a generally having a healthier mindset about dealing with people at their worst. A couple of instances come to mind where before things may have gone off, but I was able to diffuse instead.

Years back before any training blocking a punch was pretty much out of the question... once in motion it seemed way to fast to intercept or do anything about. That all changes with a good fence...your hands are already half way up! Wish I'd known this....especially in high school... It may have saved a few bruised and a chipped tooth Razz

One thing that worked well once, that wasn't a block but did the same thing, was a straight face palm. I was thinking like how a running back in football often will do that rushing down the field, and that was my idea, just to keep the other guy away at a distance and get outta there. The palm to the face ended up stopping his punch in mid swing, which I wasn't even thinking about blocking. That fits right into Richie's "attack the attacker" thinking. Good times. cheers
Back to top Go down
darktim99

darktim99

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 5:20 pm

i think if you mean covering up and letting the hits bounce off the outside of your arms then yes.

if thats included lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Sharif H

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:21 am

darktim99 wrote:
i think if you mean covering up and letting the hits bounce off the outside of your arms then yes.

if thats included lol Smile

Nope that doesn't count! You can cover up against any sort of attack. But an intercepting block against real punches?

forgedaboudit!

sunny
Back to top Go down
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:50 am

Blocks work well with range and awareness. Such as in a duel. That is where they can be seen at their peak of effectiveness. Against a surprise attack? Low odds, maybe even none if the surpriser is surprisingly good at surprising you. If you anticipate the attack and maintain range and awareness however, they can work. Then again, if we anticipate the attack and have the opportunity to control range, we seek to pre-empt, and dueling only happens by a fuckup in the original gameplan. Even though I suppose you could anticipate and even draw the attack to block and then move on the guy, as a CYA legal and PR consideration, (even though that would increase your physical risk!). Blocking as such becomes pushed back to something not very relevant for our purposes in the larger picture. Because of the few places where it is workable.

Interesting all in all. I hadn't really given much thought to the role of blocking like this. Offense just kind of swallowed up it's territory, with only some "oh shit" covers being left behind.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 12:41 pm

technics1210 wrote:

yes, but not a dojo strong sort of block...a slap/tap sort--from outside to inside, from inside to
outside where one's body moves a bit to accomodate. sort of boxer movement. one time--silly
to think about, i moved a bit quasi bruce-lee with the hands [still slap/tap though, keeping a
distance, etc...the body compensating with it's own movement]. i have to say that my game
plan has changed dramatically. now i assume the best block is a punch that gets in faster, followed
by another punch, etc...even when i'm horsing around with people, i see loads of chances to
get in not because the other person is slower but rather because they're stuck in some rhythem
of sorts and i'm thinking half-beats or off beats. interesting to see after years of sports silliness.

i will say that good blocking takes courage as it is something not overdone. if you are out of the
line of fire, problem solved. the more fear one has, in my limited experiences, the more one puts
too much into the block and loses time in effectively following up time wise. it might not mean an
opening, but it might mean a long a silly exchange where one's own safety goes down the toilet
the longer things take.

a guy said this to me once and i knew it was true but it took me ages to actually swallow it and
not puke--metaphorically speaking.

"YOU HAVE TO BRING BUTT, TO KICK BUTT"

as dreadful as it is for the timid, staying in the periphery to remain safe, is backpedaling and ultimately
lends to the other's confidence build up. forward drive is the best thing that ever happened to me. what
the fook was i doing all those years??? Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Danite

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 7:43 pm

Then again getting into a duel , is it still self defence? That might be the chance to run?
Back to top Go down
Sharif H

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 11:29 pm

Danite wrote:
Then again getting into a duel , is it still self defence? That might be the chance to run?

I hardly ever train for 'match fighting'. In terms of SP - there are very few circumstances in which it would happen. Simply because it requires the agreement of both parties. Dukes up, round one, ding-ding. As you said, that's not self defence.

It's why I do very little regular 'sparring'. And also why I'm a bit rubbish at fighting in a kickboxing/boxing context. When I was doing MMA, I could tell that some of the guys were thinking "how can he be an SP instructor if he gets beaten so much here?". It was pointless trying to explain the difference to them...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!   'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!! Empty

Back to top Go down

'Blocking' punches? Forgedaboudit!!
Page 1 of 1