Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gracie Combatives

Go down 
+8
Blakops
maija
D.M.B.
thugsage
roadkill
Sharif H
chulodog
Richard Grannon
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Blakops

Blakops

Gracie Combatives - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 6:29 pm

thanks Rich. Good vid.

I have drilled responses to it since the incident. Sprawl with Tony blauer spear type thing, or senshidoey mauling & head twist. Some knees. Interesting & good point you brought up on one of your own vids concerning not striking on the back & neck but pushing the head lower, to utilize knees.

Are diving tackles common?
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 6:53 pm

No, not in my experience mate

been rugby tackled once, thats it
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Danite

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Richie, knowing the basics of grappling is indeed important as a vehicle to do the non grappling stuff well ( ie the gouging etc).I think however that often people think of techniques that in a clear calm moment of reflection would indeed be great if they could be applied, but often forget in the frenzied mental case rush of being taken to the ground with his friends shouting "hold him down we are coming" I would think all notions of arm bars would go out the window.In my opinion better to grab the attacker pull him to you and rip his face off and make him fight you to get off and up. Seems to be what you are saying in effect?I would encourge anybody intetersted to try the following drill.have one person get on you in the mount position and have three "buddies" waiting.each one comes in every ten seconds and starts to slap you hard or lies on you, as they pinch you and slap you see what your brain comes up with then.
Back to top Go down
UncloudedFall

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 10:30 pm

What a great thread! (As the written word is open to interpretation know that there was no sarcasm in that last.) The actual merits discussed! (As before.) On another board very recently, the same topic was raised, and most of the energy was directed by members towards demonstrating what better people they were, by calling into question the spiritual worth of being critical of another system. For if you are being critical, how can you spread peace and love?
Nice to see such nonsense not taking place here.
Incidentally, I agree with other posters on the serious drawbacks of BJJ outside of a sport environment.
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 6:14 pm

I went and looked at the Gracie Combative website today as i have been mulling over the posts on this discussion & yes I can see the problem. Link below

The vid on the page demonstrates responding to an aggressor whilst your in the car (with family, friends) by getting out of the car, verbally engaging & then rolling around on the concrete before securing an armbar. Can I say lunacy?

Richards point that this is not good self protection is endorsed by their own advertising.

As I stated previously, I borrowed the DVD set with the goal to familiarise myself with what to expect, to allow me to get up & transition to something else. I know what I want to get out it.

Tuesday night training was mainly grappling. I managed to get out of an attempted rear naked choke with the leg hooks in because the choke wasnt locked in, but was completely flummoxed when our teacher, Carl sat high on my chest in mount, knees wedged under the armpits, forcing my arms up & proceeded to rain blows. Struggled for a good 5 mins and wasnt good enough to get anywhere near out. Elbow in the groin? Smack in the teeth for my pains, hooking his trachea? grip broken & more pounding. Locking my arms around his lower back and pulling him forward to base whilst sliding up got me a breather. That was it.

Everytime I practise groundwork it just reiterates why i do not want to be rolling around on the floor.

The one thing I can say is that I am not panicking in training when in this position anymore,

https://www.graciecombat.com/flare/next
Back to top Go down
mrstorey89

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 2:14 am

i have trained in a BJJ dojo (toronto BJJ), JJJ under a good friend of mine, and my sensei, and own and i also study/practice the GJJ combatives DVDs. i also have a little training in karate and judo. in my opinion, gracie combatives provides the most clean cut, and textbook version of the techniques( which are very effective) but dont provide the best in training as far as "full resistance" goes. training at the BJJ dojo is amazing for actual full resistance training, and for fitness etc, but provides poor teaching of theory and technique as many fights end in straight wrestling with the lower belts, and some other higher belts.

and for the record i am much more comfortable as a grappler. with that said, i would never go straight to grappling with someone in the street unless it was %100 the best option (i.e. single larger opponent, they took me down, or i was already on the ground) i would much rather perform a standing knock out or pin against a wall ,but never the less, i feel that my training in bjj/ gjj both helped me become the fighter i am, and i have more confidence because of that training.

i cant box or do karate on the ground, but on the other hand i cant do effective bjj standing. everything has its place.
Back to top Go down
Danite

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 2:22 am

Hey Blackops, next time somebody rides high on your chest grab his butt and pull him towards your mouth as far as you can get him , then make a loud growling noise as you snap at his dick with your teeth, you will get a flinch, usually foward with his upper body as he swings his pelvis back.When his upper boddy lowers trap him somehow and get your hands in his face. Cheers
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Danite wrote:
Hey Blackops, next time somebody rides high on your chest grab his butt and pull him towards your mouth as far as you can get him , then make a loud growling noise as you snap at his dick with your teeth

Danite, you are awesome!!! and although i agree, that was fukking hysterical Laughing
i just didn't expect the wording and the answer, i reckon it's one of those unwritten
unconfortable male topics. i think you've started me chuckling--i'm not sure i'm going to
be able to erase that image.

i didn't even see Blakops original post that prompted that. sorry for jumping in. i'm just
glad i came in when i did Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi Danite, Just read you suggestion. thankyou. We quite commonly use biting in our groundwork. i was tempted to nip him but he had a glint in his eye & had smashed me in the face quite a few times. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 7:06 pm

Blakops wrote:
Hi Danite, Just read you suggestion. thankyou. We quite commonly use biting in our groundwork. i was tempted to nip him but he had a glint in his eye & had smashed me in the face quite a few times. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i must be in a cheeky mood. i taught several SP classes today and in between those
classes i always run into this guy who's telling me how lethal goju ryu is. i always accept
his funny challenges to start from places i wouldn't probably allow myself to get into. like some
arm trap or head lock. both i allowed--actually to make a point since i knew the guy and
we were excercising control. to the arm thingy where he pulled me into him--i accepted the
pull as my forward propulsion and landed a fist right into his cheek bone. and to the head
lock, you guessed it, i bit his love handle. ha ha ha--i must have had this thread on my
mind lol!

i know one day he'll get me with these unlikeliness scenario games, it has to happen
e-v-e-n-t-u-a-l-l-y. but for now i'm just smelling the roses, enjoying life, and sticking the
roses up his arse lol!

biting. i love biting. I LOVE BITING. sorry. got a wee bit too worked up Laughing
Back to top Go down
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 7:52 pm

Paul Vunak talking about biting, in the form of kino mutai.

Quote :
The average person who doesn't know how to bite properly will try to use all his teeth and take too much "meat" in one bite. Conversely a kino mutai person will angle his face so the pressure is applied directly on the incisors. The actual motion of the bite is a repeated circular ripping of the flesh, which results in numerous smaller bites. When applied cumulatively, unimaginable damage is inflicted.

The best way to practice this technique is to get a large piece of beef roast and put it inside a t-shirt. Next, get a timer and explode into your bite. The goal is to tear through the entire piece of beef as quickly as possible. In the beginning of this drill, you will encounter several hurdles. First you will notice your teeth hydroplaning across the surface of the meat without actually penetrating. Varying the angle and pressure of the actual bite (using the attribute of sensitivity) can mitigate this problem. Secondly, halfway through the practice session most people discover one side of their jaw muscle suffering a terrible cramp. When this happens, roll the face to engage the incisors on the opposite side.

The more times you practice this drill and the better your body mechanics become at tearing (small circular bites), the faster you will be able to gnaw through the beef. In the beginning, it may take you two or three minutes to get through the meat. After 20 or 30 pot roasts (and many barbecues!), you will find you can tear your way through the average five-pound slab of meat inside seconds.

Cannibal-fu. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 4:30 pm

RichardB wrote:
Paul Vunak talking about biting, in the form of kino mutai.

Quote :
The average person who doesn't know how to bite properly will try to use all his teeth and take too much "meat" in one bite. Conversely a kino mutai person will angle his face so the pressure is applied directly on the incisors. The actual motion of the bite is a repeated circular ripping of the flesh, which results in numerous smaller bites. When applied cumulatively, unimaginable damage is inflicted.

The best way to practice this technique is to get a large piece of beef roast and put it inside a t-shirt. Next, get a timer and explode into your bite. The goal is to tear through the entire piece of beef as quickly as possible. In the beginning of this drill, you will encounter several hurdles. First you will notice your teeth hydroplaning across the surface of the meat without actually penetrating. Varying the angle and pressure of the actual bite (using the attribute of sensitivity) can mitigate this problem. Secondly, halfway through the practice session most people discover one side of their jaw muscle suffering a terrible cramp. When this happens, roll the face to engage the incisors on the opposite side.

The more times you practice this drill and the better your body mechanics become at tearing (small circular bites), the faster you will be able to gnaw through the beef. In the beginning, it may take you two or three minutes to get through the meat. After 20 or 30 pot roasts (and many barbecues!), you will find you can tear your way through the average five-pound slab of meat inside seconds.

Cannibal-fu. Twisted Evil

thanks again mate, food for thought...so i shouldn't be trying to injure my enemy, i should be trying to digest them and poop them out--the ultimate victory, "to literally and metaphorically reduce my enemies to shit"
lol!
Back to top Go down
Blakops

Blakops

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 4:54 pm

Good news for you Rus.

I read Mark Bishops Okinanwan Karate a few years ago & he states that older practioners of Goju-Ryu frequently suffer from piles due to their obsession with horse & hour-glass stance.

Keep an eye on him. If he starts carrying a rubber ring, then you've got a new target. Dont bite it though!!!

Is Mr Vunak teaching rape defense?

http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/News/1059/fc7e51504fee46ac8e514acfbd8565f3/14-07-2005-10-10/Woman_bites_attackers_penis_
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 10, 2009 5:07 pm

Blakops wrote:
Good news for you Rus.

I read Mark Bishops Okinanwan Karate a few years ago & he states that older practioners of Goju-Ryu frequently suffer from piles due to their obsession with horse & hour-glass stance.

Keep an eye on him. If he starts carrying a rubber ring, then you've got a new target. Dont bite it though!!!

Is Mr Vunak teaching rape defense?

http://www.news24.com/Content/SouthAfrica/News/1059/fc7e51504fee46ac8e514acfbd8565f3/14-07-2005-10-10/Woman_bites_attackers_penis_

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA'HA HA HA HA HA HAH AH A HA HA HA---BURP Sleep

i dunno mate, right now i'm enjoying taking the mickey out of him way too much. he keeps, poor bastard, doing this shit
in front of an audience. i'm going to have to wear pointy spider-stabber-tip boots, that'll lodge right in the rubber ring affraid

the same audience and moment delivered another guy 'horsing around' and trying to 'get me' in a sportsy and non threatening way. i kicked him in the balls. end off...
lol!

why is the direct root so unobvious to sports types? i wonder... scratch anyway, i'm not usually a kicker, but a low and snappy bollocks kick is easy enough to do--and pleasing to see the results of in an acedemic kind of way Laughing
Back to top Go down
Steve

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2009 7:43 am

Hi lads, I'm new to the forums, I've followed Rich's stuff for a while but have only started getting into it alot recently, especially the pschology side of things which I find fascinating - Rich, you do an outstanding job with this stuff - Keep it up !

Anyway I saw this thread and clicked it right away as I was bitten by the BJJ bug a while ago and have been training and training ever since Smile

I read most of the posts and skim read a couple, one aspect of BJJ that I think could be, (I've little street fighting experience)
extremely valuable on the street and has not been mentioned is the vast array of Sweeps and reversals it makes available,
just learning to get yourself out of a bad position on the ground is essential, as is preventing your opponent from mounting.

Also learning to sweep if you have been mounted or sweeping / reversing the guy to another to a position where you can get back to your feet / mount the guy and just start smashing him.

Having a guy in your guard is a horrible situation to be in on the street(they drum that into us at our club) but I think BJJ gives you alot of options you may not otherwise have if you do somehow end up there!

Im not one of those BJJ fanboys who thinks it will solve any confrontation, but if you're selective and pick the right stuff from it, I think it has some great moves you can add to your armory!

Anyway, that's all from me, have a good one lads!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gracie Combatives   Gracie Combatives - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gracie Combatives
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2