Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Quick question about knees

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
technics1210

technics1210

Quick question about knees Empty
PostSubject: Quick question about knees   Quick question about knees EmptyMon Feb 23, 2009 7:18 pm

A while ago i was doing some controlled sparring (mma type stuff), i went to through a push kick just as my partner shot in. Essentially he took a knee as my leg had moved into chamber position by the time he got my leg. The thing is i recieved more damage to my knee then he did to his face. Is the knee something which needs to be conditioned (like shins etc) or am i striking with the wrong part (front of knee as opposed to top?). Thanks. Glad the forums back up!
Back to top Go down
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about knees   Quick question about knees EmptyTue Feb 24, 2009 1:51 am

The immediate thought that comes to mind when you bring up conditioning is that this is an area where you better err on the side of caution. In general you can not "harden" parts of your body without consequences. Apart from the arthritis pains themselves, on the combative side and further down the road, an old cripple is an easier target than an old but otherwise healthy person. What you can do is thoughen up soft tissue and desensitize the nerves in the area by doing things like working on bags and slapping the area with your hands. That should work well without adverse side effects. But in general if you can't do something with your body as it is, it might be better to shitcan that and find something that works right now. Just some thoughts on conditioning.

Regarding the knee, you probably didn't do that knee right. Hitting with the kneecap is as I understand it a big no-no. (It's just a loose piece of bone held in place by tendons and stuff) Better to contact with the top. so if you're going to knee something, it better be no higher than your waist area and well within your reach.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about knees   Quick question about knees EmptyWed Feb 25, 2009 12:36 am

your knee made contact with his face and YOUR knee got damaged?? seems a bit odd to me mate, no previous knee injuries?
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
technics1210

technics1210

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about knees   Quick question about knees EmptySat Feb 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Richard Grannon wrote:
your knee made contact with his face and YOUR knee got damaged?? seems a bit odd to me mate, no previous knee injuries?

Yeah it did, the kneecap hit just above his eye socket. I couldn't walk properly for a few weeks. I guess this is unusual. I don't recall any previous injuries either.
Back to top Go down
markh

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about knees   Quick question about knees EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 7:37 pm

technics1210,

There is a strong possibility that your knee was injured due to the movement you were attempting to execute. Throwing a knee and throwing a kick require different muscles to fire in different orders and durations. When a knee is thrown the lower leg is usually braced and tucked to create a point of impact on the knee itself. An inadvertant impact during a "kicking" motion may catch your leg while the lower leg is in an extention position when firing from a chambered position.

THis is why the Muay Thai round kick is thrown slightly different than many other styles. In a Thai style kick there is not really a "chamberring" of the leg, but is thrown more from the hip with the leg serving more like a club with most of the leg already prepared for impact.

Just something to think about.

Keep safe and train hard/smart, Mark H
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about knees   Quick question about knees EmptySun Mar 01, 2009 8:16 pm

MarkH's explanation sounds more likely than my thoery of previous injury technics

I find the mechanics of movement fascinating but a total mystery: the knee in the proper "state" can be a devastating tool, but if not properly "set" can get damaged... part of the mystery that keeps us studying i guess study
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick question about knees   Quick question about knees Empty

Back to top Go down

Quick question about knees
Page 1 of 1