Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

the critique SANDWITCH

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
thugsage
Admin

PostSubject: the critique SANDWITCH   Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:05 pm

as a teacher...and as a professional in the US system of evaluations, we have what i've heard to as the 'sandwitch'. do they do this in the UK, or other places??? or is it just here.

i realize that it's slowly programmed itself into my DNA, because i can't seem to (often) just shred something--even when i think it's bollocks. i think i became aware of this when i was writing something about a sham-looking commando course on another thread on this forum.

the sandwitch means:
1. you think something is shite
2. you prepare two nice pieces of bread (several good things to say)
3. and fill you're sandwitch with what you are really trying to say (some really shitty piece of rotten carrion-meat riddled with maggots and pus.

so it sounds something like,

"gee whiz Ferdinand, you have really nice hair, but i have to say that your breath smells of dick lice, but it doesn't stop one from really admiring your appearance" affraid because as i say--the hair is 'workin'.

now...i'm not sure why we do it over here...to soften a blow...to not want to be hated...to make a criticism more pallatible (sp?) and possible to stomach (to continue the metaphor) in a manner that lends to getting a point across and possibly taken. but i wonder, at times, how much of what we say is getting lost as the, erm, party eating sort of loses him/herself in the tasty fluffy home baked multigrain bread--not even noticing the gristle laden cartlidge raw poo in the center. scratch

and furthermore

scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
maija
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:05 am

OMG Russell, that was funny lol!
As a Finn who grew up in the UK and now lives in the US, I can tell you that the Finns will just stare at you and say straight out ..." Ferdinand, why does your breath smell like dick lice"? in the same tone that my dad, hearing a joke which he did not understand, would say: "Was that funny"?
The Brits will possibly say the same thing but with more facial expression and a more animated tone, or something funnier to make their mates laugh.
Generally, the Americans I've met don't take as kindly to direct criticism (unless they are paying for it) and take things better with the 'bread' added ....unless they are a very close friend - maybe.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:28 am

thanks for the social-skill lesson mate. so it's only the US that's overly sensitive? hmmm?

Finland? cool. a school mate of mine went to Finland for a year...all he taught me was something like, "tourpu kini a nousi" was what it sounded like...
he said it meant 'shut up and fook'. not sure where this would come up, or if my school mate would 'ever' have a chance to use it but there you are.

he also came up with something like 'vitu con vitu'. which he assured me was vulgar. i guess that student exchange wasn't completely wasted. he also managed a weekend trip to Russia where he was promptly robbed of his jeans, etc... and left buck-naked. not sure how he processes all his world travels now to be honest since i've fallen out of touch with him. scratch

i think i appreciate the direct approach. i'm so used to eating shit sandwitches that i'm afraid it gets a little challenging to avoid, well social food poisoning (with all those aromas mixed together, so alluring and yet so nasty) lol!
Back to top Go down
James

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:40 am

In the same situation, im talking as a British lad but i would have asked poor ferdinand :-

"Where is the cat mate"
to which he replies - "What cat"
"The cat that shit in your mouth!"

Har Har Dry British humor Smile

Edit : Gave him the wrong name.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:13 pm

ha ha ha lol!

nice!

very visual. a touch of nasty. and you know i'm going to use it now that
i've heard it.

the closest i came to an insult like that was when someone asked,
"eww, what's that smell?" i can't remember if it was directed at the food
i was eating or whatever, but i said,
"it's your upper lip you dirty bastard"

i think i do alright once i think someone isn't a mate at all...that part of me
manages to retrieve some ugly side that i picked up from my scottish father that has a mouth like "a highland bog".

i got suckered into sitting at the table in front of the performing comedians at a club once. god almighty, there were all disecting me to pieces. i didn't understand the idiot formula which goes, "find a lacky who has no idea what the front table serves as--fodder, and sit him down for his verbal exocution"

i started coming back with really vicious quips, and by some grace of god--or perhaps lucifer, some thugs in the back started joking 'on my team'. the last guy to step up just asked if he could do his routine and promised not to include me...the very last guy didn't get up claiming all the material was used up. but if it weren't for those potty mouthed thugs, they'd all still be laughing at me.

for me...every time they'd throw some joke at me--like i was gay/etc...i'd always piggy back their joke..."you're quite an expert on the signs, eh mate?"...then the beauty, "oh you're trying to make me look bad"...to which i said, "naw mate, you're doing that all by yourself." that bit of luck started the knuckleheads up from the back. i haven't gone to a comedy club since, and if i ever do...it wont be in the front row...stupid me. lol! affraid
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:56 pm

I got to thinking about this a little more, and a few things struck me:
As a teacher, you are looking for ways to have students learn, so criticism has to be balanced with praise. Also, if you care if someone learns something or changes behavior, then there are many different ways to have that happen - which is different for different people.
If you don't care, or if you are talking at a brick wall, then why even try?
Another thing, being measured, neutral and polite does not burn bridges, and can prevent you looking like a dickhead later if/when you notice that you are wrong or have changed your mind.
OTOH being honest and direct are traits we could do more of in this day and age ....
ALSO, I do hate the idea that you always have to say something nice because sometimes it's just not true. In a way the 'bread' has 2 big drawbacks - 1) People now always expect it, and get their feathers ruffled if they get only the straight talk. 2) I have started to believe that the 'bread' is insincere in many cases, and whenever I hear someone say something 'nice', I'm always expecting 'dick lice'

Ha ha about your friend's Finnish language lesson - I wonder if your friend was asking advice how to chat up girls and this is what his student buddies came up with Smile They also probably got him really lit and that's how he lost his jeans in Russia .....
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:05 am

yup all the way round. as a teacher...the menu probably needs to be the same until the restaurant advertises specifically different cuisine for the discerning customer. for the rest of us, geeze, what are we training ourselves to do?? funny. sometimes i think i don't get it right anyway--i often serve an unappealing sandwitch made by a halfwit cook (me) with the bread in the middle somewhere and odd sagging bits of meat on either side making the whole thing so soggy and offputting...hang on...is it me or is this metaphor really working up an appetite? lol!

i try and, on occasion, make the meal (when the balance is delivered verbally) serve humor as bread and meat combined...i'm not sure but i think i'm discribing meatloaf. scratch this comes off as closer to the truth, and if i can catch a laugh from other students/teachers, then the student i'm trying to reach is sometimes put in the position of taking the joke, the lesson, and possibly at least stuck with behavior modification if not a change in his/her nature. i think in this case, they're keen on not eating too much meatloaf, wish there was somewhere to complain to restaurant owner, but can't quite figure out--short of the hymlic(sp?) maneuver, how to press the rewind on the remote and undue this travesty in american cuisine. the closest i can visualize in brit-food is the traditional pork pie...a wee hint of carbo crust, but only enough to encase the hidious gelatonous and gristle filled center. who created this dreadful little cullinery crusted booger, maybe in his nasty little hands lies the answer to our predicament??? affraid

voila...i give you...the pork pie! thinly veiled nose jelly--the crust being just enough humor to throw off the peta people lurking about, looking for a hint of ill treatment to little animal buddies (erm, socially illadvised directness from western sensibilities/oh okay palates) and digestive tracts (erm, those needing our honest opinion without garnishes)

now if you'll excuse me, i must vomit, gather mashed potatoes and prepare all the anticipated bubble and squeak that will come of this.
you've helped me tremendously maija...all kidding aside. i'm still stuck with traditional sandwitches in written form (reports) as this literally is a professional edict. amaizing. but i'm going with pork pies verbally. it has always been featured but not quite so prominantly i reckon.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:37 am

Finnish People take being deadpan to a whole new level- I find it a bit much myself because Im used to a bit of sugar coating but the Americans take sugar coating with sparkles and fairy dust to a whole new level of vomit inducing idiocy.

Thats not all Americans though obviously, dependent on the class, culture, state etc they can be just as striaghtforward as anywhere, but when they do decide to get silly with the sugar coating? they can get really really silly

Time for you to come back to the UK mr Sage and get redosed with some British Bluntness- that Commando course was the result of "satan squatting... etc"

02.45 onward - let the Minister Bill Hicks cleanse you of the affliction of self doubt Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
thugsage
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:17 pm

lol!

thank-yee-lawd...i've been saved. may i rely on the occasional wake up
fish slap to the face from you mate. i must say. i feel like i can breath again. everything is, well, less of a yolk.

and bill hicks... affraid he's a lunatic! and i mean that in a, "i like lunatics" kind of a way. i imagine him on a leash in the front yard guarding the house lol! i'm still getting over the priest joke!

to piggy back the other thread...thanks for the 'how-to' on how to web investigate. nice! i say we all stop by and toilet paper his house just before the big rain. anyone???
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:30 pm

I love Bill

there is an agenda I beleive to make people doubt their own judgement and particularly to emasculate men... its so y'all dont join a militia when the big take over occurs.... Im kidding ... or am I? No really...

or is it....

anyway, whenever that demon of self doubt hits me I invite pastor Bill in to recite his littany: "peice of shit- walk away, peice of shit- walk away" Razz

glad to be of service
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the critique SANDWITCH   

Back to top Go down

the critique SANDWITCH
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1