Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

how to escape choke video blog

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

how to escape choke video blog Empty
PostSubject: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyTue Dec 02, 2008 11:17 pm

ello all

dead busy at the moment with the mid winter feast looming large

this weeks video blog http://www.streetfightsecrets.com/videoblog.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Lonewolf333

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 2:58 am

Interesting video Richard G. It was a good break from my homework bullshit, I learned a few new choke escapes. But I know the whole reason you made this video Rich, it was not for our education as reality based martial artists but it was soley to sneak that bicep flex in there for the female messageboard viewing audience! (Oh wait, nevermind there is only like one female poster on here.) hahah. There goes my theory eh.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 1:16 pm

always worth having a flex!

email I just recieved

Quote :
Richie,

Your piece on the rear naked was a little misleading. In the beginning of the demonstration you recommend moving your head to turn a bit to get a extra breath to gain a second or two. The mechanics of the rear naked choke make this a moot point as it is a blood choke. Your primary danger is lack of blood flow to the brain (air or no air). You were absolutely right when you said it's like trying to defend a punch that already happened. The whole premise is to not let that happen but if it does barring introduction of a weapon (quickly) there is no realistic scenario for escape.

Keep Up the Great Work (Love The NLP and Psychology of Fight Stuff)

my response

Quote :
Hi John

in theory when executed perfectly it is what some people call a "blood choke"- personally, from extensive experience of countering chokes and delivering chokes in submission wrestling and BJJ classes over the last 10 years I can say that the distinction between "blood" and "air" chokes is actually the moot point! Its an intellectual distinction, when your in the struggle of a fight, there is no distinction, blood and air are affected simultaneously with every choke except for the c-grip... and even that can press the arteries depending on the individual physiology.

The problem is all of these relevant structures, the trachea, the arteries are very close together, once that arm is wrapped round your neck, your blood and breath are being cut off- more oxygen in the lungs will protect you for a few precious seconds from your "air" being cut off- but you are right the blood being cut is the more immediate problem as it is having instant impact on the brain

that is of course IF they actually have the choke sunk in and IF they are very good... but then IF that is the case... you are asleep anyway!

good points, thanks for bringing them up

any thoughts on this?

anyone had similar experiences in grappling sessions? ever managed to hold out on a submission for a few more seconds because of sucking in a last cheeky little bit of air? Basketball
Back to top Go down
BXC8

BXC8

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Getting that breath in helps alot.
It helps with having a slight chance at tensing the neck and torso muscles(like tensing stomach muscles helps if your getting hit in the gut- when your not ready for it,well its suxs the big ones).
But once its really under the chin and your stretched out.Wellllll your going bye bye.

Also to be considered is body type.Short Stocky type have less 'neck' length and more muscle in neck.
I once saw a clip about military pilots dealing with G-force and how body type is a big factor in the pass out point for a pilot and/or passenger.Short stocky types usually do better.
I know its not exactly comparable but its a factor.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 4:29 pm

i hope i phrase this right so it doesn't appear that i'm taking the piss--because i'm not. but breath helps and flexing the neck helps. i know from two examples, one of which no one may accept but at least i can draw an analogy for the second. grappling/wrestling when i was younger, i (shorty with short neck) held out for a fook of a long time keeping my neck flexed, keeping tension on his hands with mine, focussing on my breathing. this wasn't a sactioned match or anything, just a fight between two inexperienced youths (one of which was myself) whereby the goal was to fight until one was the clear winner and master What a Face (knowing whether or not someone would pass out just wasn't explored). another that got out of control, i had the choke sneaked under his chin (no neck flex or breath) and the big guy gradually gave up and hoped i would accept this and loosen the pressure...his strength was fading and i believe it had to do with the, erm,
blood/air what have you. it started from a crank, then me throwing my legs out in a desperate move to have my body land on the top of his head for a stun...then the choke. game over.

so the second example comes from my dog zeke--who is a complete nutter.
he'll try and maul and kill anything on four legs...DO NOT CRAWL PAST THIS GENETIC THROW BACK. i had to put on a choke collar and make him, at least, completely see me as the alpha male early on. no one else has ever been able to walk him accept this one big crazy fooking dog trainer that was a mate from Ireland. if zeke isn't ready for the choke, he's toast.i have to be careful to only repremand him when he's mid 'flex/anger/attack' mode. his neck muscles have to be fully engaged in throaty growls and pumped up adrenal/anger responses to some visual stimuli. if his neck is mid flex, you can choke until the cows come home and zeke may just not notice you're there. i love this animal more than a human should, but after 6 trainers and their lack-of-success-stories...i had to realize that only i could figure out my dog and how to keep him out of a court trial and being put to sleep. no one is very sympathetic to pit bulls over here so i take my job seriously keeping others, and him, safe.

and now for something completely different:

that nut-tap joke is still making me laugh--cheeky monkey...i'm going to picture it all day
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Lonewolf333

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyWed Dec 03, 2008 6:23 pm

Everytime I've gotten out of chokes in a street fight it is because the person cannot apply them properly and don't sink it in, you can just put your fingers in between the arms and neck, loosen with force and twist out of it.

Another way of getting out is pressing your neck down as hard as possible like Richie showed in that vid, hopefully the choke is not in really hard so you have time to press your thumbs into the attackers eyes. If you have long fingers you can almost grab on to the back of the head with the fingers for extra thumb pushing leverage. Most people don't have large heads like I either so its quite easy.
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 1:25 am

Well, I played with this a bit tonight and the person working with me knew what they were doing with the choke. I must say that the absolute best defense for the rear naked choke is to never allow it to get there in the first place, period. I got choked out 5 times before I said that’s enough (I still feel a bit off). Like rich says in the video, turn in before the other hand has a chance to lock in. Now fortunately… on the street the average person won’t apply it correctly, allowing you some windows of opportunity. But if you are dealing with someone that knows what they are doing and they get it… you are done.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:04 am

ha ha.
Roadkill,
for what it's worth. the first reference i spoke of 'i' never got out of--i was on the business end. the second reference i wrote about, he never got out of--he was on the business end. amen on that. i had the idea, and i'm sure others do as well...'once you have a rat by the tail, never let it go'.
affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 12:53 pm

well kudos for trying it roadkill but the first defence of trying to unlock the hand from the back fo your head will only work if his choke is crappy and you have steel neck chi gung- it really is a last last last resort

the only way to drill that one is to let your partner hook his right arm round your neck but not his left- you have your hands by your sides and his left is by his side- a 3rd party shouts go and you race to escape whilst he races to get it on- do NOT work to a tap every time or after a couple of goes you might pass out walking away from the drill- just let your partner take it till he has position- if he does he has "won"
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog EmptyMon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 pm

We do that drill and it works like a charm, but dam, never let that other hand in there, especially if they know what they are doing, it sucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to escape choke video blog   how to escape choke video blog Empty

Back to top Go down

how to escape choke video blog
Page 1 of 1