Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Single techniques or combinations?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BodhiKoyote

BodhiKoyote

Single techniques or combinations? Empty
PostSubject: Single techniques or combinations?   Single techniques or combinations? EmptyFri Nov 07, 2008 10:11 am

So is it better to train single strikes/techniques or whole "lessons" or combinations? It feels more comfortable for me to just train one move over and over yet i was recently in a street fight in which i socked the guy in the jaw but didnt fallow thru with anything else (i won, yet, i felt i could have done better) any ideas/tips/input? thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Benjamin

Benjamin

PostSubject: Re: Single techniques or combinations?   Single techniques or combinations? EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 5:00 am

Bit of both.

Initially train a single strike so you get good at it and can use it in several different scenarios. Or when you come across a new technique you want to incorporate.

But eventually you MUST be able to follow up and keep on going with other strikes, locks, whatever.. because as you found out, one isn't necessarily enough.

If you just train for one strike and it doesn't work and you haven't learnt to follow up, I predict that you will freeze when it doesn't work out for you.

You can use the same types of techniques in different ways.

For example take a palm.. and in this example you are pre-empting..

jab/cross palm (to chin or chest)
hook palm (to chin either side)

After that you may end up in clinch range, if they haven't gone down, you have elbows/headbutts/knees/locks/clinch techniques..

Same if your drills locks or restraints or whatever, you have to be able to go into other things if one doesn't work, because it doesn't always work. Sure i've had times where techniques have worked straight away, but many times i've had to try several different things before i've been able to lock a guy up.

It's a bit hard to communicate this stuff by text, but I hope it helps.

-Ben
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: Single techniques or combinations?   Single techniques or combinations? EmptySat Nov 08, 2008 6:18 pm

...sorry for the short reply. but my input is train like you're a one-puncher...then go for a minimum number--in drills, like (as Richie has said) six or more.
i personally feel like you should feel that one punch is going to take someone's head off their shoulders, but then reality says be prepared to throw that magic punch as many rapid times as it takes to realize they're out for the count. i used to be a one puncher without follow through. not good. but i also think that each punch should tell a person something about you. you hit hard and fast.
my humble opinion
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
cesar

cesar

PostSubject: Re: Single techniques or combinations?   Single techniques or combinations? EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 3:29 pm

singe techniques or combinations? why does it have to be a single choice?

do both. personally I like start with punch then move to palms but whatever floats your boat
Back to top Go down
http://www.bullshido.com
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: Single techniques or combinations?   Single techniques or combinations? EmptyMon Nov 10, 2008 6:04 pm

The single strike always works best IMO. Just apply it over and over, and with your other hand too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Single techniques or combinations?   Single techniques or combinations? Empty

Back to top Go down

Single techniques or combinations?
Page 1 of 1