Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

BPAD therapies

Go down 
+2
thugsage
Dark
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dark

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyWed Oct 29, 2008 7:54 pm

Richie (et al)

I would be interested to hear your views/suggestions on non-chemical therapies for bi polar affective disorder

cheers
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 12:33 am

...i'm not going to say i was bi-polar. just that i spent a large portion of my early life being a bit guarded and shy, then emotional, then just absolutely consumed with anger--where i had to break/hit stuff in private to let go.

who knows what the fuck my problem was. i'll tell you that at first, weights helped. my mom had my ticket. endorphines/and cathartic release from the explosive lifts i used to like.
then i sucked down cromium picolinate--for the promise of level blood sugars. can't say if it wasn't placebo, but i thought i needed it.
finally i started meditating. that REALLY helped. i was able to add rationality and thought, and not let my emotions dictate--which cut down on my
impulse control explosive outbursts.

i still have wells of anger, but don't we all.

i think meditation and exercise goes a long way. just my input. i hope that it wasn't obvious stuff you already thought of.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
RichardB

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 9:08 am

I would definitely slap meditation on my list. I don't know if it's a specific kind of meditation or what the hell it is but whatever I've been doing seems to mostly be about staying in the present moment, rather than drifting into past and future stuff that frankly is all made up. The past exists only in memory and the future is only an expectation. Now I haven't been doing much meditation for quite some time but just the simple act of stopping the mind from creating past and futures and just taking in the present moment and situation instead has worked very well for me.

I can be sitting there feling like shit because of some bad past or future scenario my mind is creating, not even knowing that I'm doing this to myself, and suddenly I realize. "Hey wait a minute, is there anything wrong with this moment, right now, sitting here, anything at all?"

99.9% of the times I ask this question to myself I have to admit that all my complaints were BS. I suppose there's also a bit of NLP stuff involved such as questioning my thoughts and so on. It feels just like waking up from a dream. One moment, there is this seemingly very real world of doom and gloom, I catch myself doing it and that whole world disappears as if it was never there. And of course it never was either.

That's getting your head out of your, er, head... I suppose. scratch and becoming aware of the real world, and just right now. But there is a good book for taking control of that way you think that could help.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Guide-Rational-Living-Robert-Harper/dp/0879800429/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1225357421&sr=1-1
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 10:20 am

I think the advice Russ and Rich gave is sound- after all who wouldnt benefit from exercise and meditation

BPAD is a project Im working on and I'm not prepared to give advice on it away for free on a public forum just yet Very Happy

sorry lar
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Benjamin

Benjamin

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyThu Oct 30, 2008 4:21 pm

Yes, meditation is good Smile

A few things that I do, that have been a big help in general. I was depressed for ages, but have pretty much got myself out of it.

EFT/Tapping

A free basic ebook, I really recommend the full ebooks, if you want pm me with your email address and I can help out with the full books.

www.tapping.com

Also a free ebook on here..

www.emofree.com

Sedona Method

This is a whole audio course, doing it at the moment, highly recommended..

www.sedonamethod.com

Also try some brainwave entrainment..

I am doing brainwave audio I purchased, but have a look at this site, free program with brainwave entrainment and different presets..

www.bwgen.com

I could explain what these techniques are about, but the sites do it much better.. I will just say that they work very well..

If you want more info, PM me..

-Ben
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyMon Nov 17, 2008 6:06 pm

please watch this video https://streetfightsecrets.darkbb.com/psychology-f1/please-please-watch-this-video-t568.htm

"there are NO current verifiable biological tests to verify your diagnosis" !!!! that quote from a practising psychiatrist!!!

so there is no proof that BPAD actually EXISTS!
people get high people get low, thats not "manic depressive disorder" or a brain malfunction- thats life.
Back to top Go down
Dark

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyTue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Richard Grannon wrote:

people get high people get low, thats not "manic depressive disorder" or a brain malfunction- thats life.

Not sure i agree with that.People get high people get low yes,but the extreme highs and lows of "a disorder" can be sheer madness.That's not "life",that's something not working right.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 12:01 am

aaah but where and how do you draw the line and say "this problem is definitely not rooted in a cognitive behavioural failing so the solution cannot be cognitive behavioural... the problem MUST be biological so the solution must be chemical"???

can we prove that extreme highs and lows are not rooted in poor patterns of communication with self, negative patterns of thought, damaging lifestyle patterns?

the flip side of this coin mate is that I believe a perfectly healthy normal person with no "biological brain disorder" or "chemical imblanace" can experience huge amounts of emotional and psycholigcal torment on a scale where death can seem preferable- do you see my point?

I take cognitive/ behavioural roots of "- mental illness" as seriously as i would a physical illness or (if i believed in that model wholeheartedly) a "psychiatric illness"- quite simply because I have seen with my own eyes them leading directly to death, sometimes quick sometimes slow, always heartbreaking - all the more so because it was avoidable

two mates of mine in the last 3 years have passed away, one worked himself to death and the other ate himself to death, both were under 35 both left behind a wife and kids- the root of both their problems was psycholigical and emotional

I believe, or rather I KNOW one can be driven to total self destruction and a complete functional breakdown without a biological dysfunction because that is just how powerful our minds are we can literally (and on this occassion I do literally mean "literally" Very Happy ) THINK OURSELVES TO DEATH

I put it to you that if I worked with anyone suffering from BPAD or any labelled mental illness in therapy for an hour I could point out at least 5 potential roots of that "illness" that were behavioral or cognitive

at least 5... AT LEAST!

until all these issues (poor diet, poor exercise, drug/alcohol abuse, poor sleep patterns, negative patterns of thought and behaviour) are explored and remedied how can we in good faith put people on drugs that "cure" them?

Ask anyone who suffers from BPAD this question

"in all honesty do you think you are doing everything you can to support your own mental and emotional well being?"

and number two

" do you repeatedly engage in negative patterns of thought that are obsessive or destructive?"

usually the answer to the first is "huh? what you on about? I CANT do anything to make myself better, its a MENTAL ILLNESS you nitwit"

the answer to the second is usually "hello? negative thinking?? Im fucking depressed you fuckwit, of course I engage in negative thinking!!!"

lol!

the FALSE assumption of both is a LACK OF CONTROL, something the medical community doesnt seem too invested in battling to overcome... I wonder why?

cui bono?

Im not saying these problems arent real, they are very REAL and dangerous, but that they are frequently exagerated responses to everday issues- that doesnt make them less painful or dangerous- Im sorry if I implied that it did, wasnt my intention to appear glib.

My (fervent, almost religiously so) point is that the medical community has nowhere near as much of a clue as it pretends in this area, we cannot trust the intentions of anyone who seeks to make money from us being ill and alternative therapies are not only effective but lend much dignity and power back to the client that the medical model strips away.

I dont have all the answers either, there are some people who are so far gone into their psychosis you cant do much more than give sedation and paliative medicine, in which case modern western medicine is the way to go- I DO get a cob on when a femal friend of mine goes to the doctor for issues with PTSD and walks out with a prescription for anti depressants!

off me soap box now before i send everyone Sleep
Back to top Go down
RichardB

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 7:59 am

Remember there are benefits in being a nutter. Lack of control equates more or less to no responsibility. "Hey it's not me it's the disease." It's always good to have a scapegoat handy. Every time I've pushed the "you do have control" line with people it's gotten a very poor reception. For whatever reason it's just not a very popular or attractive thought to a lot of people.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 12:00 pm

RichardB wrote:
Remember there are benefits in being a nutter. Lack of control equates more or less to no responsibility. "Hey it's not me it's the disease." It's always good to have a scapegoat handy. Every time I've pushed the "you do have control" line with people it's gotten a very poor reception. For whatever reason it's just not a very popular or attractive thought to a lot of people.

...and in one paragraph you have just surmised why I gave up counselling as a profession!
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

BPAD therapies Empty
PostSubject: Re: BPAD therapies   BPAD therapies EmptyWed Nov 19, 2008 11:41 pm

The Icarus Project:
http://theicarusproject.net/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BPAD therapies Empty