Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Problems finding training partners..

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Dominance

Problems finding training partners.. Empty
PostSubject: Problems finding training partners..   Problems finding training partners.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 5:49 am

If only I was close to some quality training.. because finding training partners here is a hard task...

Well.. the thing is I talk to alot of people about it and they seem interested, "Yeah Yeah I want to train".. and then when I try to organize it they make up some excuses...

Or this has happened alot too.. I actually organize it and they sound keen but then don't show up or cancel like a half hour before.. WTF!..

I've had it twice this week.. 2 guys who were coming just didn't show up... both rang hours later.. one said "I forgot".. the other forgot and I even had sent him a sms earlier but "his phone was turned off"... he rang me later on that night.. and were ment to train tonight.. I have no idea if he will show up or not.. now sometimes people legitimately forget, but this happens to regularly for it to be legitimate..

I'm getting more frustrated at this.. wondering how I can find quality people.. even if its only one or two that show up regularly.. I had one for about 3 or 4 months until he got whipped by a girlfriend..

I'm even thinking about going to some traditional classes to try to recruit some training partners.. I don't think itll go down well.. but I may try.. I even talked to a TKD instructor who sounded keen.. but then when I started to tell him my philosophy of training hard with resistance and doing scenarios where we yell and scream to cause adrenaline to get used to it.. he seemed to change his mind and get upset that I didn't agree with his philosophy..

Now I don't know if its just this town.. I live in the country in a kind of small place.. there is a few traditional arts here.. 3x TKD classes, Hapkido, Aikido, Tai Chi.. and I think what I want to do seems to be shunned.. and word seems to have got around in the martial arts community here.. this sounds strange but I will tell you why I beleive this..

I was training with a friend who is a street fighter and was trained by his dad in boxing and wrestling.. he has fought all his life and is the best fighter I know, the only friend who I would trust my life with and back him up completely.. and he is a bit hardcore.. I like it.. but he went and trained in a few classes and just did what was normal for him and would mop the floor with the instructors even when he was just playing around.. and they didn't like it and everybody was warned that he was dangerous.. but in reality it was their ego and that their style wasn't as good as they thought.. now it wasn't my friend going in being an asshole, he respects all martial arts and is eager to learn and just went and did what he does naturally, which is fight well.. and they couldn't handle it..

I've talked to alot of people in the community here and they all said they won't train with him he takes it too serious etc.. and I basically turned my back and trained with him.. learnt alot that i've actually used in real life, more than any 'system' i've been in.. and now it seems i've been grouped in the same light as him.. and they want to avoid training with me.. i'm no where near as good or hardcore as him though.. to tell the truth i'm totally out of shape at the moment, haven't trained properly for ages, my skills have dropped alot and i'm way slower and weaker than I used to be.. so maybe its just my attitude towards training, of wanting it to be realistic..

I would be training with him still, but he moved away to another state for about a year to work..

Then I guess its just human nature saying their going to do stuff.. and don't.. I wish they could just say 'no' so I could move on to somebody who really means 'yes'..

So for me at the moment its solo training which I can't really stand to do for too long.. and 'on the job' training..

Anyone else whos not near a good place to train had problems with finding people and have solved it, I could really use some advice..

I'd rather just train every now and then from Reality Based dvd's and what i've learnt from them instead of going to some taekwondo class which would just teach me to get hurt (I know from experience, I have my TKD black belt, but then got beat up)..

This stuff seems to be a problem with reality based type systems in my experience, except in big cities.. there was a really good freestyle class I trained in for 2 years when I was 18 (after TKD) but they went out of business, not enough people, and the instructors don't do it at all anymore..

-Ben
Back to top Go down
ncw

PostSubject: Re: Problems finding training partners..   Problems finding training partners.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 pm

Ben
I have the same problem. It seems over here (USA) most everyone is interesed in MMA. I attend a rather large BJJ school. I've tried to recruit some guys with no luck. My intent is not to "steal" students just get a couple of guy's to come over just 1 day a week to train RBSD.
I also attend a JKD class once a week that has a few guys that attend on a regular basis but it's still sport oriented for the most part.
My wife has tried to get some of her lady friends and/or their husbands to allow me to teach them just some basic techniques and awareness skills, only to receive a lot of polite "Oh that sounds great but we are so busy or I have to take Johnny to the dentist that day" BLAH BLAH BLAH.
So I train RBSD by myself. I try to mix in as much as I can at my JKD and BJJ classes without being disrespectful to the Instructor and his students.
My advice is get back to training, even if it means by yourself. Turn on some AC/DC, put yourself mentally into a "shit storm" and beat the hell out of a heavy bag!!! Or get a BOB and a iron palm bag. With a Bob you can work all your techniques including "foul" techniques, head control and even ground and pound or striking and foul techniques from your guard. With the iron palm bag you can put some sand in it and it's great to strike without hurting your hands. That is, if you use a little common sense and take it somewhat easy at first and working your way up to where you are striking the bag as hard as you wish.
It's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than sitting around getting soft.
Back to top Go down
AdamM

PostSubject: Re: Problems finding training partners..   Problems finding training partners.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 5:25 pm

sport based JKD.

What would Bruce think of that?

good luck in your search for partners.
Back to top Go down
ncw

PostSubject: Re: Problems finding training partners..   Problems finding training partners.. EmptyThu Feb 21, 2008 10:43 pm

AdamM wrote:
sport based JKD.

What would Bruce think of that?

good luck in your search for partners.

It's frustrating.
The Sifu is quite good. We do spend some time training techniques that are street oriented. However, he does spend too much time ( for me ) on sparring in a sporting context. He has some students that participate in tournaments. That's all fine and great for them, but those days are behind me.

Bruce Lee the actor, would probably like it.
Bruce Lee the teacher, probably wouldn't.
Back to top Go down
Dominance

PostSubject: Re: Problems finding training partners..   Problems finding training partners.. EmptyFri Feb 22, 2008 3:05 am

Sport based JKD hey.. I didn't notice that when I first read your post.. interesting concept.. but i'm sure it teaches some good tools that you can take, and also builds the attributes..

The guy showed up last night! Was a really good training session.. basically I took the lead.. explained what I want to do and seen where he was coming from.. found out we have the same goal of functionality and self defense.. and I showed him some things and did some drills that basically allowed both of us our creative freedom and to use our own very different training.. work on the fence and pre-emptive strikes, clinch work, tool and target development and some pad and bagwork.. was a good lesson all round..

And I can learn alot from training with him, not directly, but indirectly because this guy did some form of kung fu and is very deceptive in his attacks and good at misdirection.. a few times I got hit by attacks I didn't see coming, got hit in the eye and had to keep going (good training).. also it taught me not to be so 'restricted' in doing drills.. like we were doing a fence drill and I had said it was just for pre-emptive strikes.. but he started throwing haymakers at me a few times.. so that surprised me.. because I got hit by a few.. but I just said "good, so either I will pre-empt or you can throw a strike and I have to defend".. and I thought maybe when drills are being done.. their is the basic drill.. but other things can be added when its not expected to train awareness more..

Like attacks are thrown when its not expected (not trying to knock out your training partner though) or pulling out a rubber knife in the middle of it and you have to defend..

And the other interesting thing is.. he is alot lighter than me (60kg and im 100kg).. but i've found him harder to deal with than I have some people bigger than me.. but still I would like some bigger people to train with, they all have been smaller so far..

Hopefully I can get a good training group together..

-Ben
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Problems finding training partners..   Problems finding training partners.. EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 5:43 am

I had the same problem as you, I moved away from my club and couldn't find a decent one in my new area. Everyone I meet and said they wanted to train just wouldn't show up.

I had enough techniques taught to me, just needed to practice them with some resistance until I could preform them in my sleep.

I just went down to a MMA school for the free trial and meet a college guy who needed money. I pay him 10 bucks an hour for me to practice techniques on him. I did this maybe 4 hours a week.

He didnt know much even about MMA, but i just wanted some resistance like it would be in the street. not a skilled MMA fighter.
Back to top Go down
http://www.defendo.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems finding training partners..   Problems finding training partners.. Empty

Back to top Go down

Problems finding training partners..
Page 1 of 1