Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

knife video??

Go down 
+2
thugsage
chulodogo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chulodogo

chulodogo

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: knife video??   knife video?? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 7:46 am

Hey this is me actually editing one of Chulo'sposts - anybody got the original video clip so this thread makes sense?

thank you guys

Richie

Last edited by Richard Grannon on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:37 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : make the thread make sense)
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 12:33 pm

...hmmm,
i really like the wicked counter attack strikes--to the neck and crotch, etc...

some of those styles from that part of the world focus on slicing the knife bearing fingers, right?

i think i can relate to that. i can see that working--all things being equal.

bounce Very Happy

i think i'll watch that again
i guess the reason i like it too is, philosophically speaking, he's not so much defending (i mean he blocks first with his hands, and that would make me feel uncomfortable/shit-nervous), but the follow up looks more like an attack and less like a 'defense'. i like his offensive follow up. i hope that attacker dude is wearing his cup (ha ha) after all of those counters.
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
Traceur

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 7:27 pm

Check it out at 1:23 where he throws his knife at the guy's nuts!

I think the instructor here is Maul Mornie. The Goshinkwai guys run a lot of seminars with him. I attended one of theirs at the weekend and really enjoyed training with them. Great bunch of guys with some very useful self protection material.
Back to top Go down
chulodogo

chulodogo

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 8:34 am

xxx

Last edited by chulodogo on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
asfi

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 12:50 pm

Nice clip. Pretty? Yes. Functional? Plausible.

Like I said before in a previous post, speed is essential (or something like that).

I practice a different, but at the same time similar form of silat.

In a knife fight, offence is the best defence.

That's what I tell my students.

Blocking with the fists/hands is also a key technique in my form, as the mindset that "in a knife-fight, you WILL get cut" is already ingrained, and also, in my form of silat, the shortest and fastest way (if you're not holding a gun) to engage a knife wielding attacker is to control/stop/restrict him with your hands first, then follow up speedily with heavily damaging maneuvres to discourage him from getting up again. Period.

Also, like I said before, control of the pivot points is vital. Have a look-see at the clip again and maybe you'll understand.

What I suggest is have a go at grappling with you sparring buddies or students. Maybe do some chi sao. It's what some silat practioners do to better understand body dynamics.

That's the phrase. Body Dynamics.

Range of motion of the joints/pivot points, reach, centre of gravity, sight, action-reaction, leverage, etc..

All these and more are the nuances that can make you a better fighter, or ensure your survival in a streetfight. Doesn't matter if your motive is to become a Sports Fighting champ or to boost your survivality in a street-fight.

If you know how the body works, then you know how to break it.

My two-cents.

Cheers.

PS: The youtube clip is a demo of moves, but if you wanna train using those moves, make sure your training buddy fights back, and not just stand there waiting for your next move.
Cos that doesn't happen in real life. And the clip? Pretty, but where would you find a knife wielding agressor who stops moving after just one jab? Nice, but not realistic.

Last edited by asfi on Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Craig

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 3:36 pm

Have to say guys, I thought the whole thing sucked. In a vid I like to see real energy and real non-compliance. Which was exactly the opposite of what I got here. But still, doing it that way sure enables you to look real pretty.
Back to top Go down
chulodogo

chulodogo

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 11:02 pm

an

Last edited by chulodogo on Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Craig

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 12:06 am

I see a choreographed demonstration done against a compliant attacker at half to three quarter speed. That you throw around terms such as 'knife fight' tells me you buy into the whole bullshit myth of guys dueling against one another.
And yes, there are plenty of vids out there of guys trying to stab the fuck out of each other with training blades, using real energy and total non-compliance. I mean, think about it. How hard, really is that to do? What would prevent them from doing so? Nothing at all.
Similarly, all those pretty techniques that look so great at 1/2 speed against a compliant attacker, why don't they put vids out there where they are capable of the same shit against a guy not co-operating at all as he tries to stab the fuck out of them? What would prevent them from doing so from a logistical standpoint? Absolutely nothing. And so, why aren't they out there? You've got something to sell, show me the proof. Don't show me half speed moves and then ask me to take the rest on faith.
Still, gotta love the camo pants.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? EmptyThu Sep 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Quote :
And yes, there are plenty of vids out there of guys trying to stab the fuck out of each other with training blades, using real energy and total non-compliance. I mean, think about it. How hard, really is that to do? What would prevent them from doing so? Nothing at all.
Similarly, all those pretty techniques that look so great at 1/2 speed against a compliant attacker, why don't they put vids out there where they are capable of the same shit against a guy not co-operating at all as he tries to stab the fuck out of them? What would prevent them from doing so from a logistical standpoint? Absolutely nothing. And so, why aren't they out there? You've got something to sell, show me the proof. Don't show me half speed moves and then ask me to take the rest on faith.
Still, gotta love the camo pants.

HAHAHA! excellent mate - you got your "righteous indignation fist" on there a bit didnt you? enjoyed it and so very very true what you are saying
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Sponsored content

knife video?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: knife video??   knife video?? Empty

Back to top Go down

knife video??
Page 1 of 1