Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good Idea for a DVD?

Go down 
+4
Sergei
RCS
RichardB
Richard Grannon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

Good Idea for a DVD? Empty
PostSubject: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 10:39 pm

Quote :
Yep, It's me again Smile
Sorry I have a question. After watching some of Your videos on Youtube, I started to wonder if You have any video's on patterns that are common in stret fights, mosty when fighting a opponent thats just a regular Joe, and has no training at all. I mean, we all know the pre-fight ritual: the shoving, the barking etc. , but elements that are consistent in a "match".
From my experience, besides the pre-fight ritual, when the shit hits the fan, there are ( and this is my POV )similar elements to each "chav" (that's what You call them right ? ) like grabing and yanking on your clothes, big and wide hook's or if some asshole get's a hold of you, they always focus there entire strengh on the place the got you like a leg or a arm. So that's my question: do You have any dvd's that cover patterns that are constant to an assailant, when in a street fight ?I know that this shit, is mosty unpredictible, but never the less...
Cheers Mate

This sounds like a good idea for a DVD,
any ideas as to what kind of attacks people have seen/recieved that they would like me to cover?
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
RichardB

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 1:26 pm

I don't know about specific attacks. Mostly it seems better to not go down that defensive and re-active path and rather focus on what you are doing to him. I.e., if he grabs you; punch him, if he punches you; punch him, if he kicks you; punch him or whatever. The most important point being that you keep the pressure on until you feel safe in letting up. Mostly I'd say it's not if he punches you but if you are convinced he'll try to punch you that you go.

I don't know what your experiences are but it seems like most fights are won or lost before the real action starts. In the pre-fight stuff. Thugs have ways of setting people up for a beating juuuuust staying clear of offending them so much or rapidly that they do something. In NLP terms they set the frame of the situation. Create emotional dominance and so on. I'd like to see a product that dealt with how to fuck with their scripts and heads. You mentioned something like this sometime, maybe in a newsletter or in the psychology of violence CD's. I.e., how to take control of the frame and control things proactively.

As for the techniques of most untrained belligerents, they seem mostly limited to right handed haymakers, shoving, grabbing the collar and trying to put you in a headlock. If they try to kick it'll probably be a lousy roundhouse or a toe kick. When it really gets going it looks a lot like two Kangaroos having a duel. (heads back, arms out, half-assed punches to the head) If the chump gets the upper hand he will begin punching repeatedly with one hand usually to the head. Probably in a grapple such as the headlock or something. I see no sense in focusing much on these things scinse they are pretty crappy tactics, but on the other hand. Because they're so crappy tactics, we might find something about how they fight that we can use against them.

Apart from the suggestion above I'd very much like to see something about dealing with group attacks.
Back to top Go down
RCS

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyTue Mar 11, 2008 4:36 pm

Fighting and violence is chaotic and unpredictable. A DVD on specific counters to specific "typical" attacks would disadvantage the viewer who only trains in those specific patterns, as compared to those who train for spontaneous, unchoreographed attacks.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 3:36 am

RCS wrote:
Fighting and violence is chaotic and unpredictable. A DVD on specific counters to specific "typical" attacks would disadvantage the viewer who only trains in those specific patterns, as compared to those who train for spontaneous, unchoreographed attacks.

No, I cant see how training specific counters to specific attacks disadavantages the viewer, its an entirely sensible thing to do.

I wouldnt expect people to blindly train "specific patterns" of attack and defence, its just not my style.

Fighting and violence may indeed have chaotic and unpredictable elements, but much of it is in fact highly predictable... there are only so many ways the two armed, two legged upright homo sapien can attack.

It becomes even more predictable when it is you who takes control of events.

RCS, How are you training for "spontaneous unchoreographed" attacks exactly? Im always interested in getting ideas for good training drills.

I think its a good idea for a DVD to give people a blueprint for how violence commonly plays itself out and some ergonomically efficient ways of dealing with it... if there were no commonality in attacks what would be the point of training?
Back to top Go down
RCS

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 12:33 pm

I was simply referring to the "if he attacks with A you do B" kind of training that is very common with many traditional systems. Some students of these systems know only how to counter attack if the attacker looks and moves exactly like their training partner did in class - which will probably not be the case in an adrenalized fight situation. Like I said, if this is the 'only' training someone does, he may freeze when the attacker does something he's not expecting based on his training experiences.

I agree with you that there are patterns and common characteristics found in violence and fighting, especially when you take control of the situation.

A few unchoreographed drills:
A attacks B however he wants (kick, punch, tackle, weapon, finger point)
A attacks B (who has eyes closed) from any angle (shove, choke, tackle, grab)
Eyes closed (both partners) "contact flow" (kick, knees, grappling, & strikes OK)
Multiple person "bag attack" drills - (don't know who's coming at you, or for how long, or at what angle, or how many at a time)
These kind of drills force you to respond spontaneously.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 12:37 pm

contact flow?

i see from your profile you are in new york- are you doing the guided chaos program?
Back to top Go down
RCS

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2008 1:25 pm

I live in upstate NY, about 4.5 hours drive away from where the KCD guys train. I did attend one seminar of theirs last year, and hope to get down there for more if possible. I Have a few of their DVDs/videos and have the book as well.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 1:14 am

I really like the book, Ive been invited to an instructors session down in London when they come over.
I might go.
Back to top Go down
Sergei

Sergei

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 4:19 pm

EDIT: Useless junk I posted

Last edited by Sergei on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:17 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Nothing helpful in my original post)
Back to top Go down
RCS

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 4:30 pm

Not sure about the pepper spray, but when I was there they rapidly switched the lights on and off to create a strobe light effect during some of the drills. Many of their training methods would be considered unconventional by a lot of martial artists and combat athletes. Their system is all about winning/surviving street attacks as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Yes, I would also agree that their book has lots of good information.

Last edited by RCS on Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sergei

Sergei

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 4:34 pm

RCS the place I meant also uses loud chaotic sounds nonstop during some of the drills. Is that the place you went to?
Back to top Go down
RCS

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyFri Mar 14, 2008 4:41 pm

I've only been there once, but they did holler and scream like crazy during the multiple attacker drills we did that day. They put you in the middle of 3 full sized hanging grappling dummies and then they randomly crash the dummies into you while you do your best to strike, smash, and knee the dummies while being knocked off balance.
Back to top Go down
Dominance

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 7:45 am

Quote :
Is this the place that sprays pepper spray in the air and does drills in complete darkness and also does dril"ls under strobe lights?

That is Senshido.. they have some very good dvd's and training by Richard Dimitri.. I started my RBSD journey with the videos and it still influences me heavily..

-Ben
Back to top Go down
Sergei

Sergei

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyTue Mar 18, 2008 7:53 am

~

Last edited by Sergei on Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
insomniak42

insomniak42

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Cant get enough material on dealing with the sucker puncher, and would love to see some stuff on dealing with the guy that needs you to throw the first punch.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptySun Mar 30, 2008 9:38 pm

hi insomniak, welcome to the forum

i will cover sucker punches for you when i do the dvd

the guy who needs you to hit him first? knock the f""ker out m8!

seriously, weve got 3 dvds on preemptive striking available and more on the way

Richie
Back to top Go down
Pete

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 11:16 am

i dunno if thats called sucker punch as well...if so just ignore my post.
What ive seen several times on vids is weirdos jumping in other ppls backs or hitting them while they´re behind the victim. so theres no chance to react really. another problem is that it often makes the attaced person fall or at least stumble. seems to me like its one of the worst position to fight back from.
if that not covered yet and you got any clue on how to handle such a situation id like to get some advice on that. if you already got it on a dvd please let me know whichone that is.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyMon Mar 31, 2008 3:58 pm

Getting sucker punched from behind?

ok mate i will cover it
Back to top Go down
insomniak42

insomniak42

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:26 pm

Just got the disks on pre-emptive strikes, and 1 punch knockout (this week's special) and they are awesome! Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for in my previous post in this thread.
Also got the disks from the previous week's special, which are also fantastic.
I saw the disks on the website you have for dealing with knife attacks. Do any of the other disks deal with armed attackers (knife or gun)? What's your take on this?
This may be more of a concern here in the US than in other countries.
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 9:10 pm

I think it probably is more of a concern in the US but you also have greater powers to carry your own weapons too...

Basically its not really my field of expertise, Ive been boinked over the head with makeshift weapons, glassed in the face, stuck with a syringe and had a metal rod poked into my thigh in fights but I dont really feel like that makes me an authority!
I do have some experiences of knives and razor blades, but I've always been the one holding them (joking)

I dont want to fall into the trap of trying to teach too many different topics some of which fall well outside of my experience... The Knifeworks DVD set is presented as a kind of pressure test experiment, more than a doctrine of "this is how you MUST face a knife attack", as anyone on here who has seen it will no doubt confirm for you.

I will stick to what I know best: teaching people to be really good at beating other people up Razz
Back to top Go down
Carl Sagan

Carl Sagan

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 7:26 pm

My memory is bad, so keep that in mind here.

Sorry if you covered this in pre-emptive DVDs, but how about covering dealing with a guy reaching for a knife? (reaching in his back pocket or whatever)

I know you know about this, but that's a real good visual anchor to develop, in my opinion.

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good Idea for a DVD?   Good Idea for a DVD? Empty

Back to top Go down

Good Idea for a DVD?
Page 1 of 1