Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Kali/ Escrima?

Go down 
+2
AdamM
Richard Grannon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

Kali/ Escrima? Empty
PostSubject: Kali/ Escrima?   Kali/ Escrima? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 4:42 pm

Quote :
Hi Richie,

great site!!! it is one of the best i have ever visited so far. I am a practitioner of a modernized filipino martial art. the chief instructor had been a bouncer for several years in hamburg and tries to give you some real impressions of real streetfights, no forms, no nonsense. i have been doing fma for 5 years now. if you wanna take a look at it there is a video on youtube. it is a guy from berlin called michel ruge. if you wanna watch the video put combat escrima or bernd schubert into the search field. or visit the homepage www.etf-escrima.de .
keep up with the great work and just a question is it possible to become an instructor?

Take care,
Philipp

I just got this nice email, does anyone here practice escrima? Ive been looking at some kali clips recently and it reminds me a lot of some of the silat principles I was shown by Chris Parker
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
AdamM

Kali/ Escrima? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kali/ Escrima?   Kali/ Escrima? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 6:22 pm

yes mate, Dean comes from a Latosa Escrima back ground and it was a fundamental part of my early training.

We have limited time now with the core skills and the Beta-8 but we still get the sticks out from time to time.

I feel it definitely had an impact on my fighting style. my boxing stance is squarer than usual, I'm quite comfortable southpaw and orthodox and my 'live hand' is an ever present automatic response. A lot of the paterns, blocks, counters and disarms were unrealistically complicated but they were designed to encourage a particular style and flow that escrimadors have.

You'll find tying up with a decent escrima practitioner a very uncomfortable experience. They move in an odd way that's very difficult to deal with. Escrima is not just about stick obviously. there's empty hand, knife, improvise weapons (newspapers, unbrellas, etc)
Back to top Go down
jimmyfatwing

jimmyfatwing

Kali/ Escrima? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kali/ Escrima?   Kali/ Escrima? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 9:26 pm

I've been doing some ad-hoc training for a few years now with a very good friend of mine (who's an instructor under the excellent Jay Dobrin).

I found that it did a great deal of good for my footwork and aggressive forward movement. Also my hand-eye coordination has improved and i can also hit things harder with a stick now Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.jimmy-fatwing.co.uk
RichardB

Kali/ Escrima? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kali/ Escrima?   Kali/ Escrima? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2008 9:58 pm

There is a kali sikaran club in my vincinity. Maybe it would be worth paying them a visit.
Back to top Go down
chulodogo

chulodogo

Kali/ Escrima? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kali/ Escrima?   Kali/ Escrima? EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 5:01 pm

yes, and i find it important to learn fight and feel comfortable with different kind of weapons.. Much more chanche you survive an attack. and dont damage your body.
pocket stick fighting is also an aspect of my training, and its usefull.
Back to top Go down
Glenbo

Glenbo

Kali/ Escrima? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kali/ Escrima?   Kali/ Escrima? EmptyMon Aug 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Im doing a bit at the moment with one of Krishna Godihania's Warrior Eskrima classes its a completely different avenue for me really but it's not completely what im looking for but this points me on to my next question ?

Can anyone recommend any schools or instructors using reality based systems in the Birmingham / West Midlands area.

I have spoken to Bob Spour on various occassions and try to use some stuff I learnt off the SFS dvds which does work when it comes street defense.

Im really looking for something that is realistic instead of useless scenarios that only happen in Steven Seagal movies. Ive looked into Krav Maga , Keysi etc some good stuff after watching the SFS dvds you can relate to situations and want something which has been pressure tested and works. My back ground is mainly grappling (BJJ / Judo ) have done very basic boxing so looking to get into a system that is a good training basis but also works.

I took up kali as it was only over the road from where i live and saw some guys at Seni and thought mad feckers with sticks but would love to have a go.

Anyway Ive warbled on long enough any info would be gratefully appreciated
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/put_me_in_the_cage
chulodogo

chulodogo

Kali/ Escrima? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kali/ Escrima?   Kali/ Escrima? EmptyMon Aug 25, 2008 8:49 pm

really really nice eskrima.. wish it was in holland this way

check
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6EZE_rmsQs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content