Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

youtube message

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

youtube message Empty
PostSubject: youtube message   youtube message EmptyThu May 01, 2008 2:14 am

Greetings, mate.

My name's Asfi. I'm a former bouncer and a current self-defence (volunteer) intstructor from Singapore.

I've watched quite a few of your videos (around 50 of them, chum) and I do have to say, I am very much impressed and I applaud your efforts in giving people a chance to practice proper, realistic, and I must emphasise on this, practical form of self defence.

Gotta love the headbutt, debunking the silly wrist grab, and your pre-emptive strikes.

I'm not sure if you are affiliated to the "Guided Chaos" school, though it wont be surprising if you are.

I'm a practitioner of asian martial arts (mainly a derivative of Silat and Kung Fu inherited from my forefathers, taekwondo, muay thai) and scientific boxing.

From my experiences both in and out of the ring, it seemed to me at one point in time that either I was not learning enough, or, that I was learning all the wrong things, or that there were just things that I don't know.

After giving it much thought and analysing my fights and other peoples fights, I just thought, "Man, I gotta break loose".

So I tried to ignore (yes, ignore, but not forget) everything I ever learned, forgo all the traditions, say fuck to all the rules laid down in martial arts and see what techniques and moves could survive facing the real world in a real fight.

I mean, traditional arts like karate, aikido, ninjutsu are all good and well, but there's just so much well.. tradition in it that practicality is sometimes lost. There's no honour in a brawl, right?

Same goes for sports-based martial arts like kickboxing and taekwondo, even boxing. Too many rules. What's stopping a hooligan from kicking your family jewels? The referee?

I definitely won't expect a robber to come up at me, execute a bow and then say, "Prepare yourself to get robbed". Then maybe a sexy girl holding up a signboard catwalks around is and a bell chimes, "Fight!"

What you've developed is very much in line with what I came up with (or rather, what I have left). Among my students (I've only got a few. Most people dismiss what I practice as nonsense because here in Asia, martial arts = flashy moves and showy takedowns. My students only stick with mainly because I either whalloped their butts or I saved their stinking asses before. ) I used to call the Contact Flow a different term. We dubbed it "Slow-Play fighting". Mainly because it is a form of playfighting (punches and strikes are pulled) and even though it is called slow, it isn't really slow. It's just not fast enough to inflict damage.

I've learnt long ago that speed + force = power

Anyway, I'd like to thank you for giving me a lot of things to think about.

There are just some concepts, theories and techniques that I just couldn't come up with proper terms for.

Like Sensitivity, for instance. I used to call it awareness, but sensitivity makes more sense. Gotta thank you for that, mate.

I did try to look for some clips of elbows among your videos, but can't seem to find much.

Can I share something with you? I am not trying to patronise you or anything, mate but, if it's a good thing, why not share, right?

Around a hundred years ago, my pirate ancestors developed a hybrid form of fighting, a cross of whatever they thought was useful. Silat, kali, kungfu, you name it.

What they came up with relied heavily on the upper body because of the fact that they're always on board ship.

One technique they used, which I find is still applicable today is the use of the elbow joint area not only to strike, but to block and parry as well.

Not just the outside-lower part of the elbow, but the surrounding area on the joint. Kind of like a chicken wing, which is the technique's literal translation from Malay. Using the chicken wing, a strike is blocked and/or redirected/parried upwards or to the outside by opening the "wing" followed by moving into the opponent and striking him down using whatever the hell you feel like doing.

It follows my basic primary action - secondary action rule.
Primary action is the first thing you do to get the job done. Secondary action can be a whole series of whatever you want to do, with the ultimate aim of getting it done.

Maybe you could try the "Chicken Wing" (nope it's not a wrestling move) with some of your students and give me feedback on it. If you're unclear on how it's done, maybe you could drop me a mail at *******@gmail.com .

Perhaps we could share thoughts and ideas, or maybe you could clear some of my doubts and theories.

Whatever you do mate, keep it up.
And keep it real.

Cheers.

Oh. Another tip: If you're ever beset by a boxing-type guy giving you a flurry or a JKD/Wing Chun type dishing out a straight lead, give the guy an uppercut if you're heavy on honour. If not, just kick his balls. That really works, 'cos at one point, I was the boxing guy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
Sergei

Sergei

youtube message Empty
PostSubject: Re: youtube message   youtube message EmptyThu May 01, 2008 4:06 am

Awesome! Is this the same guy who with some of his friend's train together and posted a message on one of your youtube vids a few months back? If so, I hope he registers. He's a serious man dedicated to this and he would bring a lot to this forum. By the way, the Lion City is a great place. You can speak English there, Mandarin, and I was surprised how many people could speak Russian. Wonderful place overall. I can't speak highly enough about the nation. A "fine" place it is That's an inside joke for anyone who's been there. Food is great, people are great, etc,. If you get a visa to work there (which is not easy) the government gives you great help and benefits. I hope you have asked him and his mates to join this forum Richard.
Back to top Go down
asfi

youtube message Empty
PostSubject: Re: youtube message   youtube message EmptyThu May 01, 2008 9:24 am

Sergei wrote:
Awesome! Is this the same guy who with some of his friend's train together and posted a message on one of your youtube vids a few months back? If so, I hope he registers. He's a serious man dedicated to this and he would bring a lot to this forum. By the way, the Lion City is a great place. You can speak English there, Mandarin, and I was surprised how many people could speak Russian. Wonderful place overall. I can't speak highly enough about the nation. A "fine" place it is That's an inside joke for anyone who's been there. Food is great, people are great, etc,. If you get a visa to work there (which is not easy) the government gives you great help and benefits. I hope you have asked him and his mates to join this forum Richard.

Hi sergei,

No mate, I'm not that guy you referred to above, but I think I do know them by reputation. If I'm not mistaken, they're with SMARS (Singapore Martial Arts Research Society). They're good people, but I just couldn't find the time to train or work with them, work commitments and all. Though if I did, I am sure that it'll be a good experience. Learn new stuff. Testing them out on the mat. I mean, if there's an easier way to break an egg, why not, right?

My students (whom are mostly troubled teens whom I met during my work as a volunteer youth worker) are called "tryouts". What we learn is that violence is neccessary, but only when facing immediate danger and during extreme cases. In most instances, just the threat of violence is enough. This can be done not only with words, but with quick, defensive looking action. Attitude is also a factor. That is why I am really impressed with Richie's "Don't Touch Me!" move for womenfolk where a man approaches a woman and tries to go all touchy feely. Having worked in a club/bar environment before, I have seen this in action before and it really does work.

I also feel that quite a few stuff out there that is supposed to "help" womenfolk in an assault are plainly, quite crap. The wrist grab, for instance. Do you think a predator would grab a woman's hand? A spurned boyfriend, but a predator would most probably grab the upper arm or neck, followed by another action, which could be pulling the woman towards her, or turning her and covering her mouth. How come there's not much moves or techniques to counter that?

How do I know this?

Because I'm a volunteer with a society that helps youth-at-risk. Quite a few of them were abused. Many of them girls. Some were raped.

Also, being around prison-types, you'll get a deeper understanding for their need for violence, and their methods of executing it.

I have taken the liberty of studying physical violence, its application and execution in real life situation. Some of the studying is first hand experience. Some from backhand experience. I try to study as many arts as possible, trying to lift or borrow stuff that I feel is applicable and practical in real-life situations.

One of our methods is called "touch and go". It is similar to Krav Maga's "Bursting" technique, but it does not only involve the hands. Blocking/parrying and striking are done simultaneously with any two limbs, then the follows up with one or many devastating moves, applying the primary action, secondary action rule. Why? Because, it's just not realistic to make someone fall with just one strike. It works wonderfully when you have distance and space to move around, but even in confined spaces, the same rules apply.

Tryouts also train to maintain their safety when beset by multiple opponents (2 to 5 opponents), when attacked in a sitting position (on a chair and on the ground), prone position, flat on the ground, knife attacks and sword/machete attacks (you'll be surprised at the number of these kind of attacks in Singapore) and numerous other weapon attacks from various angles, stand-up one-on-one fights, in enclosed/small spaces (elevators and stairs work best) and sneak attacks. We also try to work our way around everyday situations which could possible turn into an attack (e.g. a backpacker with a heavy pack being besotted, tired person taking the lift home from work being robbed, etc).

What I tell my tryouts is this.

Fighting ability is arguable the product of your knowledge, application of it, and training. If you have trained yourself to fight in a ring-based situation, then when you are placed in a real-life-situation, that is how you'll fight (like in a ring). If you fight like that and face me in an elevator, I could pommel you right down.

My objective is to create a practical, reality-based defence system for the everyman. And woman, of course.

But I guess Richie beat me to it. No worries, though. Just applause. At least I'm not the only person thinking that, "Hey, we have GOT to stop all this bullshido and give people a fighting chance to survive on the street."

A lot of the styles out there can help you survive a one-on-one confrontation, but... the guy has to follow the styles rules, or traditions, or whatever. No kneecaps, no kicks to the groins, no eye-gouging.

No shit?

If you follow those rules of engagement, doesn't that kind of leave you exposed, 'cos the other guy wont?

All I'm saying is that, shouldn't people give more thought on this? There are no traditions, no rules on the street.
The street does not have regulations, and it doesn't honour you.

So what else is holding you back?

Cheers, all.

Keep it up, Richie.
Keep it real.

Last edited by asfi on Thu May 01, 2008 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typographic errors. Haha.)
Back to top Go down
Sergei

Sergei

youtube message Empty
PostSubject: Re: youtube message   youtube message EmptyThu May 01, 2008 10:48 am

Hi Asfi! Glad to see you here. Sounds like you are doing a great job overall, working with kids (especially) and reality attacks, etc., I have not been to Singapore for many years. When I was there it seemed very safe and peacefull everywhere I went. Have things changed that much IE has street crime and violence gone up a lot? The only time I saw any "fighting" there was when a guy was getting beat down by a few guys in expensive suits with nice cars. Triad related I figured. But that was a businesss thing to prove a point. Otherwise it was a very calm place at any hour of the day/night. Take a quick trip to Kuala and the violence was much different. I recall someone getting their finger cut off to use the fingerprint to steal and drive the car. Anyway I'm glad you joined and I'm sure you have a lot of usefull info to contibute Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Richard Grannon
Admin
Richard Grannon

youtube message Empty
PostSubject: Re: youtube message   youtube message EmptyThu May 01, 2008 12:15 pm

Hi Asfi

thanks for joining the forum

Quote :
But I guess Richie beat me to it. No worries, though. Just applause. At least I'm not the only person thinking that

Thanks for the compliment, but I really havent beaten anyone to anything, these ideas have been around for a long time and adopted, used and taught by loads of people... the reality scene is enjoying a resurgence as I think the current mood in modern culture is swinging back towards self reliance and individual sovereignity...

I wonder what the collective unconscious detects on the horizon that makes this so?

Asfi, in my opinion the "reality scene" (yukky term, but we have to call it something) is still in its infancy of this particular incarnation and there is loads of work to be done... so please dont see it as finished work, take anything you've got from me or anyone else and take it further!

Im not affiliated with the Guided Chaos school but I do like the book "Attack Proof", I am in regular communication with their instructors and some of the training philosophy is very similar... I think I er, unwittingly used their phrase "contact flow drill" on the womens self defense DVD which buzzed me on their radar and many people have thought Im with them because of it

I say unwittingly because I read the book 7 years ago... the drill itself as I was taught it, we just called it sticky hands/ push hands or chi sau... then I get this idea "oh its a contact flow drill, how clever I am for making up that name" except I didnt, it was spewed out of my festering unconscious! hahaha!

this is why I dont like wathcing other peoples material, it influences me and I steal their stuff

I will have to give my drill a different name (it actually is differnt in structure in that it requires one person to be in charge and be the alive "wooden dummy/ punch bag" of the drill!)

Quote :
Not just the outside-lower part of the elbow, but the surrounding area on the joint. Kind of like a chicken wing, which is the technique's literal translation from Malay. Using the chicken wing, a strike is blocked and/or redirected/parried upwards or to the outside by opening the "wing" followed by moving into the opponent and striking him down using whatever the hell you feel like doing.

I think this kind of "bong sau"- esque blocking cover is shown on Punch Proof and the Elbows DVD... I got it from a great silat instructor and mate of mine called Chris Parker Smile

Welcome to the forum Asfi

Richard Grannon

Last edited by Richard Grannon on Thu May 01, 2008 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I wanted to write my name because my own forum doesnt come up on the search engines yet, and I misspelled my own sodding name- doh!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.streetfightsecrets.com
AdamM

youtube message Empty
PostSubject: Re: youtube message   youtube message EmptyThu May 01, 2008 12:41 pm

but it is A contact flow drill, and very useful it is too.
Back to top Go down
asfi

youtube message Empty
PostSubject: Re: youtube message   youtube message EmptyThu May 01, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi Richard, Sergei, Adam and all.

Thanks for having me here at this forum.

Sergei, with regards to your question,

Quote :
Have things changed that much IE has street crime and violence gone up a lot?

Singapore is usually a peaceful country. Street crime is always low, but domestic violence is always around. I've encountered a lot of kids who've undegone abuse from their family. That is not the only thing, though.

Amongst youth, bullying and violence in school, among their peers and even from total strangers in their age group is a frequent problem. Not just the boys, but the girls also. Youths are a target for the traids and gangsters, the secret societies and hooligans to expand their hold on the society.

A lot of the time, young innocent bystanders are attacked just for "staring" at a gangster-type wrongly, or just looking funny. And, it's not a one-on-one confrontation. On numerous occasions, it was a group of people who assaulted the victim. This is the case for youths between 10-18 years old. Some have actually died from cases like this, beaten to death or stabbed numerous times.

It happens outside schools, outside discotheques, on the street, in public areas, even at stairwells in residential buildings (this was in the local news a couple of months ago).

Most of it goes unreported.

90 percent of my students have been involved in incidents like this. Some of whom have had previous training in other styles (TKD, silat, karate) have the same thing to say.

"What we learnt couldn't stand up to what we were going against."

Also, there's disputes and squabbles that could end up deadly.

In Singapore, if you're murdered, it'll most likely be with a knife or parang (local equivalent of machete). It's been like a sort of tradition in South East Asia. If you don't like a person, take a sharp object to him.

There you have it. The secret violence of Singapore.

Quote :
I think this kind of "bong sau"- esque blocking cover is shown on Punch Proof and the Elbows DVD... I got it from a great silat instructor and mate of mine called Chris Parker Smile

Do you mean Guru Chris Parker from Silat Fitrah? I think i've heard of him before, but I'm not familiar with his school of Silat (which has over 500 registered styles, most of which were developed to kill and maim, not just to defend).

I still practice silat, though I have the perception that most of what is being taught today is watered down. If only they had video-cams in the 16th century, then we'll know what the hell they were talking about and doing. Most stuff comes from manuscripts and oral traditions. One can't help but question the integrity of what's being taught, right?

So, I'll keep on doing what I've said I'm doing, and I hope that I can contribute to this forum frequently.

I'd like to ask, has anyone noticed the value of peripheral vision? In a "rumble" (my training method which requires 5 attackers), peripheral vision, or the awareness of your surroundings, to be precise, plays a very important factor in one's survival. You think so?

Anyway, I'd like to thank all of you, again, for having me here.

I look forward to learning and exchanging more stuff with all of you.

Cheers.

Asfi

Last edited by asfi on Thu May 01, 2008 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo errors, again. Haha. :))
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

youtube message Empty
PostSubject: Re: youtube message   youtube message Empty

Back to top Go down

youtube message
Page 1 of 1