Street Fight Secrets
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Street Fight Secrets

Intelligent Self Protection Solutions: Combative Psychology and Street Applied Martial Arts

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

So you're walking your dog and....

Go down 
+2
Mike2010
roadkill
6 posters
AuthorMessage
roadkill

roadkill

So you're walking your dog and.... Empty
PostSubject: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 12:45 pm

You need to defend yourself... what do you do?

Back to top Go down
Mike2010

Mike2010

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Why not just take a pistol and a torch lol, like the police do?

If they could fit a katana in there it'd be a bit more fun lol
Back to top Go down
chulodog

chulodog

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm

really nice! and really effective!

nice gadget
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 pm

can't say i'm not intrigued at the ingenuity of a violent geek like that.
it's pretty neat, and neat and tidy. however, the synic in me is imagining
some mr. bean like skit where it all falls apart like a rubbish stapler
under pressure. or you confuse the top for the bottom and shoot yourself
lol!
or it gets lifted "from your back pocket" as some kind of expensive gadget
to steel.

i know a few people that would want one nevertheless--and a few cops that
would look at it and not know to confiscate it. so i guess there's that. but if
you're going to turn the average citizen into a bunch of commandos, why
not just put a little pistol in your long sleeve like the rest of the muggers,
it works for them and costs less Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.emptyhand.webs.com
chulodog

chulodog

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 8:55 pm

that last option, is an option everybody who really like to defend himself or home would take serious.

i dont walk naked in the night in the city. thats for sure.

also the best knife defence is a gun if you create a littlle distance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqGcQI4CVhA
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 11:25 pm

As I remember it, my teacher did an experiment with the local police department about how much space you really do need if you have a gun facing a knife ... turns out to be quite a long distance. Over 8 meters.
If you are interested, may I recommend the Die Less Often DVD. Bringing a gun to a knife fight, by the Dog Brothers that investigates this problem.
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 12:54 am

Maija: Reminds me of the Tueller Drill that is used in police training, at least here in the states. Where a attacker starts at a 21 feet or 6.4 meters and charges the officer with a knife. The Officer is then to draw and take out their attacker. Often times under pressure they screw up and fail miserably. Even if they draw correctly, the attacker has closed the distance to the point that their throat is slashed even if they get off a shot. The drill highlights the fact that if you are not moving while drawing… you can still get F’ed up even though you have a gun and manage to get off a shot. I’ll never forget the first time I did that drill… funny how you never forget the first times of things.

They guy in Chulodog’s video was moving correctly, In fact I liked his basic movements and weapon handling.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

well...since you lot have raised this from the dead [dumb/funny] and given it real
reflection, i've liked this clip in the past--that emphasizes early on coordination of
said fire-arm.

the same bloke also deals with draw and fire drills in the mid-point position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YxbMkbr_Qo&feature=related
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 1:52 pm

Russ: I can’t tell you the number of times I have practiced that exact drill in my garage. Prior to surgery I practiced 3-5 nights a week. Two hand, single hand, left hand, moving forward, back, sideways… LOL. I have done a ton of firearm training. Although I have still not adapted the new grip that everyone in the video and Tacpro seem to be using, I’m an old school fart.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 4:01 pm

roadkill wrote:
Russ: I can’t tell you the number of times I have practiced that exact drill in my garage. Prior to surgery I practiced 3-5 nights a week. Two hand, single hand, left hand, moving forward, back, sideways… LOL. I have done a ton of firearm training. Although I have still not adapted the new grip that everyone in the video and Tacpro seem to be using, I’m an old school fart.

i hear you mate, sounds like you should stick with what you know and find other ways to shave
off the time--my old school-ness goes like this:
"better to comfortably do what you do--and improve on that, under pressure"

a little decisiveness goes a long way--in my humble, and occasionally humbled, opinion cyclops
Back to top Go down
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 11:05 pm

Roadkill, Russ,
You guys know anything about this guy and his ideas? http://quickshoot.com/articles/martial.html
I really enjoyed this article he wrote. The video clips on his website are interesting also.
And to those that have never heard of him before, his name really is Kent Turnipseed So you're walking your dog and.... Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
chulodog

chulodog

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 8:14 am

many ways about pistol draw, handle, etc.
but in self defence street situation, i allready wear the thing inside my sleeve, no problem, just bring him up.

aiming and pointing under pressure is different than drills like the vid.

but its nice to train.

i dont like pistol shooting, im not so good in it.

with rifle i like
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 2:33 pm

maija wrote:
Roadkill, Russ,
You guys know anything about this guy and his ideas? http://quickshoot.com/articles/martial.html
I really enjoyed this article he wrote. The video clips on his website are interesting also.
And to those that have never heard of him before, his name really is Kent Turnipseed So you're walking your dog and.... Icon_eek

No I hadn't heard of this guy, but that is some interesting reading (funny name), I will put some more time into it, just quick read it. I have been applying a skeletal structure principle to my current practice that I use in empty hand and it has proven to be quite good in target acquisition and/or getting that first shot on target and fast. "Feet to the core" very powerful in empty hand and in shooting it lines up your entire being into the target.
Back to top Go down
Sharif H

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Just jumping in quickly...

Richie mentions the tueller drill (although I don't think he calls it that) in his Knife Offence manual. I'll be pressure testing some similar stuff tomorrow (weapons vs knife attack).

The one thing that apparently 'proves' that you need lots of distance vs a knife attack is the assumption that the knife is already drawn. We'll do a series of drills but the first will be from conversation range where HE has to draw his knife and THEN start slashing me. I'm not a firearms expert, but I have a feeling that if he has to draw his knife from a concealed carry-site, then I'll be able to draw my pistol in time (based on how many times I've practiced). We're gonna try with other stuff like going for a weapon that is near by but not on the body.

Anyway, stand by for more video uploads.... we're gonna basically be pressure testing Richie's Knife Offence material Smile

Roadkill, I'm the opposite in that I can't imagine holding a pistol in any other way that the push/pull, straight arm/bent arm position. (Apart from on the hip for extreme close quarter stuff). But hey, like i said, I'm no expert.... limited experience Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.tactical-protection.com
maija
Admin
maija

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 10:45 pm

Roadkill,
Let us know when you've read some more and tried some of his ideas out, I'd be interested to hear your take on him - you watched the vid clips yet? Quite impressive. I'm tempted to get it together to take one of his courses, you know, one day when there's both free time and extra money in my life So you're walking your dog and.... Icon_lol So you're walking your dog and.... Icon_rolleyes

Sharif,
Not sure what the standard police test method is, perhaps Roadkill has some insight on this, but I know when my teacher was asked to help out, he did not do it from a drawn position.
The Dog Brothers DLO DVD I recently mentioned is also set up pre draw, but from a slightly closer range. The scenario they set up is a cop or MP approaching someone to ask for ID, and plays from there.
I also posted a while back somewhere a link to a pdf of The FMA Journal. There is an article inside, also from an LEO perspective, about blade concealment and potential dangers to LEOs.
Now, none of the above are of particular use us that don't carry day to day, and are not cops, but certainly interesting non the less.
Back to top Go down
thugsage
Admin
thugsage

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 10:48 am

maija wrote:
Roadkill, Russ,

just answering...i know 'nowt about rifles in general--my last time with one i was kicked off a
shooting range for not walking through the ritual etiquette properly Razz
Back to top Go down
roadkill

roadkill

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... EmptySun Sep 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Sharif Haque (Tacpro) wrote:
Roadkill, I'm the opposite in that I can't imagine holding a pistol in any other way that the push/pull, straight arm/bent arm position. (Apart from on the hip for extreme close quarter stuff). But hey, like i said, I'm no expert.... limited experience Crying or Very sad

Actually I was referring to your thumbs... old.... old school, the thumbs cross.. LOL Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So you're walking your dog and....   So you're walking your dog and.... Empty

Back to top Go down

So you're walking your dog and....
Page 1 of 1